• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doomsday Preppers - New Show on National Geographic

Sorry if this is a dupe...saw a commercial for a new show on National Geographic called Doomsday Preppers. Starts Feb 7th at 9pm. Looks like it should be interesting.

They are doing a 'special' or whatever DirecTV calls it on channel 112 right now - don't know how long it will be on for.

It's got some clips, an interactive menu with 'Meet the Preppers' and such.

It’s likely to be a joke. Made to reinforce the stereotype of preppers as nutjobs. I saw some clips with an insane so called apartment dwelling survivalist, a fat woman who seems to think that post apocalypse she will be the only woman in the country still struggling to lose 100lb, and this guy seems to be part of the cast.

[video]www.youtube.com/user/dsarti1#p/search/0/N0-UYcR2tEs[/video]

Maybe I am wrong and this will be something useful, but I doubt. My first impression that its purpose is to throw a bone to hillbillies while at the same time to discourage “normal” people from preparing. I sure hope to be wrong and to see something along the lines of The Best Defense on Outdoor channel.

It’s likely to be a joke. Made to reinforce the stereotype of preppers as nutjobs. I saw some clips with an insane so called apartment dwelling survivalist, a fat woman who seems to think that post apocalypse she will be the only woman in the country still struggling to lose 100lb, and this guy seems to be part of the cast.

Maybe I am wrong and this will be something useful, but I doubt. My first impression that its purpose is to throw a bone to hillbillies while at the same time to discourage “normal” people from preparing. I sure hope to be wrong and to see something along the lines of The Best Defense on Outdoor channel.

I wrote and rewrote the reply to this post and decided its in my better judgement to keep it to myself.[rolleyes]

I just watched an episode On Demand (Comcast). It did not require a subscription to Nat Geo, which I don't think we get.

I thought it was pretty good. It followed four different families through their preps, and they were all pretty open with showing what they had, which seems nuts to me. They used full names and everything.

One family was in suburban AZ, and turned their inground pool into a hydroponic greenhouse. They had some pretty impressive food techniques, raising fish in the bottom of the pool and circulating the water to grow vegetables. They had zero defensive preps, and seemed to live in a moderate to crappy neighborhood.

There was a group of families with a farm in South Carolina. They seemed to me to be the best prepared, and they had a really nice setup. They even had a truck that runs on wood.

Another suburban family lived in a really nice neighborhood and had loads of food and supplies, and they seemed to have a decent amount of weaponry. They followed them on a trip to a Honeyville Grain store - damn I wish we had one of those nearby.

And the last guy lived in SLC Utah and had an underground bunker in the mountains. He was mostly focused on nuclear disaster, but seemed to be in decent shape for almost anything. He just had to travel an hour + to get to his BOL. They used the underground bunker as a weekend getaway. It was a 50' long x 10' diameter tube that was lined with bunks and supplies.

I thought the show did a good job of explaining why the folks were doing this without making them sound like nuts. Some of the people in the commercials for other episodes look a little crazier or stupid.

It just made me want to do a little more shopping.

Saw the one with the girl in Houston. Claimed to work out 4hours a day (not likely, unless she was benching twinkies). Halfway through her segment I realized that she was the female equivalent of a mall ninja. I don't know if was because of the bf or she just wanted to be on TV. Her supplies consisted of 12 bottles of water and some dried pasta. She also felt she could barter before she was forced so sell herself.

Saw the one with the girl in Houston. Claimed to work out 4hours a day (not likely, unless she was benching twinkies). Halfway through her segment I realized that she was the female equivalent of a mall ninja. I don't know if was because of the bf or she just wanted to be on TV. Her supplies consisted of 12 bottles of water and some dried pasta. She also felt she could barter before she was forced so sell herself.

I couldn't believe it at the end when she said she had joined the military. I would hope that their standards would be higher. She seemed like a nutjob. It also seemed really weird how she talked about her boyfriend, but he didn't seem to be part of her bug out plan (except for shooting her cats and helping her use up her 140 condoms).

The preppers in this episode definitely came across as nuttier than the first one I watched.

Did you notice that the people who were prepping for a major earthquake were storing all of their food in glass jars? D'oh!

I couldn't believe it at the end when she said she had joined the military. I would hope that their standards would be higher. She seemed like a nutjob. It also seemed really weird how she talked about her boyfriend, but he didn't seem to be part of her bug out plan (except for shooting her cats and helping her use up her 140 condoms).

The preppers in this episode definitely came across as nuttier than the first one I watched.

Did you notice that the people who were prepping for a major earthquake were storing all of their food in glass jars? D'oh!

I think there is a "failure to cope (or whatever they call it now)" discharge in her future.

I didn't think about the glass jars, although I was impressed about the amount of food. I did get the sense that they may be overestimating the number of people the food could provide for. Didn't they say something about feeding 22 people for 10 or 15 years?

This. From the ads it's pretty obvious they are portraying preppers as nut jobs. I'm not a prepper, but I'm also not surprised that the media is portraying people who are as whack jobs. I don't plan to watch the series, but I'd be surprised if there isn't some sort of prepper = racist equation in the presentation.

This episode is on YT. And judging from the pilot it is going to be exactly as I thought, or maybe even worse. The tilapia guy has nice setup and regular people might be impressed and interested if his stated goal was self-sufficiency and economic freedom rather than the loony statement of EMP in 2012. [rolleyes] Really Mr. Nostradamus?? It wouldn’t be in December of 2012, would it? And frequent gasmask imagery and retarded statements like, “cheers to the end of the world” – just makes then look nuts. This woman comes across as a loser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLX-Remh7Aw. I love that she gets night deliveries for “OPSEC”, but goes on TV and YT. Sure honey, your identity is totally secure. I promise not to tell anyone. [rolleyes] The SC guys are Engineer 775 and Southern Prepper 1. They are reasonably knowledgeable and levelheaded fellows. So despite editing work, they come off as least loony.

Its an interesting show, makes my goal of having a winter Bug-out bag seem small to their goals lol, guess i know where i can get fresh fish lol.

For anyone who "is" a prepper, one thing is for sure, if anything catastrophic should ever happen the longest line at your front door will be comprised of your worst critics prior to the event. You know, those very same people who rolled their eyes at every sentence about your prepping yet the very next words out of their mouth were "If anything happens I'm just coming to your house". These are the people you'll need the guns for to protect yourself against.

For anyone who "is" a prepper, one thing is for sure, if anything catastrophic should ever happen the longest line at your front door will be comprised of your worst critics prior to the event. You know, those very same people who rolled their eyes at every sentence about your prepping yet the very next words out of their mouth were "If anything happens I'm just coming to your house". These are the people you'll need the guns for to protect yourself against.

I get that from my friends and family all the time, "Your crazy but I'll be at your house when SHTF"

They think I'm joking when I say they'd better have something good to offer me, otherwise they'll be dog food.

I know people that part of thier prep plan is to have the ability to take out other preppers,which bugs me becuase he knows where I live.

I watched the first episode. For the most part, it is a show that is going to cause nothing but mockery. The bit with Southern Prepper 1 was good. The rest is not doing the prepper community any favors.

Where did you see that episode?

Back
Top Bottom