DOOM!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You kids don't know old times. The first "computer game" I ever played was on a teletype machine with a time-share computer called Kronos. Inputs were typed in, the computer at a remote location calculated a response, and the paper came ripping out with the result of the conflict in *STRTRK*.

SET PHASERS 9!

It was 1974.

Somewhere around here I have the first "computer programs" I ever wrote, in BASIC, saved on punchtape.

Shit. I'm old.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The pandemic has replaced some of our old habits with binging old tv shows. One was Halt and Catch Fire that portrayed a lot of the growth of the computer industry. This core group of characters dramatized the development of the Osborne (first "luggable" computer) (all names changed for protection of the tv show production company, of course). Then they went on to develop the online gaming industry, early versions of social media we had back in the days of the modem, etc and wrapped up with the WWW, Netscape, etc. I saw and in some cases participated in a lot of what they showed. Mrs. Pipes was getting annoyed with recollections and "that's true", "that's made up" commentary. (she doesn't do computers AT all)

Anyway, toward the end there were several mentions of DOOM and even some scenes where someone was playing it.

Ah the mammaries of the 80s and 90s...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am working on building a Bartop Retro Arcade. The 512GB RetroPie ROM
for the Raspberry Pie has over 20K games on it. Atari, NES, SuperNES, SEGA,
CAPCOM. Commodore, etc. I am using a 24 inch flat screen with real Arcade
Buttons and Joysticks for two up players.

You can also just make a FlightStick with the same ROM. Which is just a Box to
hold all the Buttons, Joystick, Raspberrry Pie, power supply, etc and run a HDMI
Cable to your TV.

For the ROM Download search for "Virtualman 512GB ROM"
Amazon has the Arcade Button Kits.

Malodave

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am working on building a Bartop Retro Arcade. The 512GB RetroPie ROM
for the Raspberry Pie has over 20K games on it. Atari, NES, SuperNES, SEGA,
CAPCOM. Commodore, etc. I am using a 24 inch flat screen with real Arcade
Buttons and Joysticks for two up players.

You can also just make a FlightStick with the same ROM. Which is just a Box to
hold all the Buttons, Joystick, Raspberrry Pie, power supply, etc and run a HDMI
Cable to your TV.

For the ROM Download search for "Virtualman 512GB ROM"
Amazon has the Arcade Button Kits.

Malodave
There are some 3d print designs to print out a miniature SNES "console" for the R Pi. It's amazing what you can do with those things. I have two or three of different versions of the Pi and a dozen or so Arduinos and ESP32s.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Had a lot of fun playing DOOM back in the day, though that's really not far back enough to qualify for back in the day to me. A currently compatible Mac or PC version of DOOM would be great but what I really miss was DEATH RACE, the scourge of all things decent:

Death Race, the World's First Scandalous Video Game

As a youngster I pumped a lot of quarters into this game at an arcade about 3/4 mile walk from our place in Big Bear Lake, California. Laughed my ass off every time. A segment on 60 minutes and all the other negative press bunched up the panties of all the NIMBY's in the cities, but the core group of locals up in Big Bear had a real DGAF attitude about flatlander sentiments and this game was never pulled from the arcade.

I learned BASIC and COBOL in high school on the school's HP main frame. Probably had the capabilities of a flip phone and we submitted programs on bubble cards filled out with pencil. I stumbled across a means to push the HP into an endless loop that didn't stop itself as an error and thus would choke down processing until someone intervened. Great fun when you had your sh!t done and a couple tools in the class were trying to submit programs last minute.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Doom has massive childhood memories for me. I was 11 years old when Doom was first released in 1993. The shareware (1/3 of the game) was the biggest rage in the world. Additionally, it was the spawn of the “gory violence” age in video games. Mortal Kombat, Doom, Wolfenstein3d, Duke Nukem, Samurai Showdown, all that stuff was the shit. Spent endless hours playing these games with friends sitting on the floor in front of the TV. These were the glory (or “gory”) days.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got a kick out of the scene in Halt and Catch Fire where the hardware guy was desoldering a ROM to change it, and it was already in a socket! LMAO
There were a couple of points in that show where I thought of you and your shenanigans [laugh]

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
There was also Star Trek for the Apple II and IIe machines. Was all narrative - no graphics. Then came Rogue and various derivatives of that (Hack). Who remembers those? Hack is still available to download if you search for it.

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you have a decent PC or and Xbox, PS, whatever, Doom Eternal releases earlier in the year. I just finished it a couple months ago and it’s an insane update to the original. Still has the Doom atmosphere but completely different gameplay and graphics

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the doom engine running on my Mac and download the wad files from online. Has anyone tried nuts.wad? Or Russian overkill? Russian overkill adds dozens of insane weapons to the game. I love popping into a level and using a tactical nuke and clearing an entire level in one shot. I run with brutal doom which is also insane. Valiant, revilution, alien overkill are incredible user done wads for the game.

Top Bottom