• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doodads on your carry pistol

Whatcha typically got on your carry pistol to aim with?

• Basic irons only

Votes: 73 31.2%
  • Night sight irons only

Votes: 77 32.9%
  • Electronic optic

Votes: 33 14.1%
  • Irons of any type with light and/or laser

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Optic with light and/or laser

Votes: 31 13.2%

• Total voters
Back when I carried my Gen 4 19, I bought an RMR cut slide for it from Brownells. I’ve since bought a Gen 5 19 MOS, so no need for an aftermarket slide.

Again for the millionth time if your forced into a deadly defensive situation you will guaranteed to be in an adrenalin filled duress situation . Keep your defensive weapon as simple as possible for your situation.
Put dot on badguy pull trigger

Not sure how much easier it gets

for now - only tritium sights on home defense glocks, but i am going to put scs holosun on 2 other mos slides i have, as it sits there seamlessly with stock normal height irons - compliments and does not replace.
p365 will be only irons.

No lights!?!? I know it’s a PITA for holsters but are you guys gonna shoot something at night without identifying it??

The doodad I always carry with mine is a spare mag ... although I do always have a flashlight and a small (3") but very sharp knife as well. No sighting doodads, though.

Ayoob interviewed police officers who prevailed in hundreds of shootings. Some of them reported never seeing their sights. But others distinctly remembered clearly focusing on their front sight. If you can focus on a front sight during a gun fight than you see your dot too (with enough training).

Red dots have the advantage that you focus on the target, not the sight, so under stress are in some ways easier to use than iron sights.

For folks like me, who have trouble focusing on iron sights, red dots provide an advantage. YMMV.
Around 2000, when Ayoob was testing this theory, he ran an experimental stage at an IDPA match at his home gun club, Pioneer Sportsmen, in Dunbarton NH.

In the stage we all shot 2 Glock 19s provided by him. One was stock. One had both sights removed. You sighted by pointing or just looking down the side, like shooting a shotgun.
The stage consisted of standard IDPA targets up close like 7 ft away and out as far as 25ish feet.

At the trophy ceremony at the end of the match he shared preliminary results. Which was that at shorter distances people were only slightly more likely to not hit the -0 section of the target. But their times were much much faster.

In the Sig reflexive shooting class, we didn't remove our sights, but we taped them up. It wasn't quite as clean. But we got similar results. Looking down that big square Glock slide actually works pretty well.

Put what ever sighting system you have on the target and pull the trigger without moving it. The difference in sighting systems means less than a good trigger pull and quality dry firing
I'm of the opinion that a good trigger pull is probably 60% of shooting a gun fast with accuracy.

Where would you put that number?

Around 2000, when Ayoob was testing this theory, he ran an experimental stage at an IDPA match at his home gun club, Pioneer Sportsmen, in Dunbarton NH.

In the stage we all shot 2 Glock 19s provided by him. One was stock. One had both sights removed. You sighted by pointing or just looking down the side, like shooting a shotgun.
The stage consisted of standard IDPA targets up close like 7 ft away and out as far as 25ish feet.

At the trophy ceremony at the end of the match he shared preliminary results. Which was that at shorter distances people were only slightly more likely to not hit the -0 section of the target. But their times were much much faster.

In the Sig reflexive shooting class, we didn't remove our sights, but we taped them up. It wasn't quite as clean. But we got similar results. Looking down that big square Glock slide actually works pretty well.
One of the things I need to experiment with is turning off my red dot and point shooting at closer distances. Not that I would do that in practice, but rather to better learn my natural point of aim with the gun.

Put dot on badguy pull trigger

Not sure how much easier it gets

NO way would i ever trust a "dot" in a life threatening situation. I have a dot on my Target only MKIII and i constantly need to "search" for the dot , then align to the target. So what's proclaimed as "easy" by you is just getting myself "dead" for me .

Put what ever sighting system you have on the target and pull the trigger without moving it. The difference in sighting systems means less than a good trigger pull and quality dry firing
Eh... just getting used to your trigger is the most important...obviously they are all subjective to your preference

I think the 365 trigger is total and utter dogshit but it breaks light enough to be accurate

I loved my hellcat and my hellcat pro's trigger

But the sig macro is a flat out better gun and better shooter than those two guns...even if I think the trigger blows... so I learned to accept the macro even if I dont think its good

NO way would i ever trust a "dot" in a life threatening situation. I have a dot on my Target only MKIII and i constantly need to "search" for the dot , then align to the target. So what's proclaimed as "easy" by you is just getting myself "dead" for me .
I was like this and recently I've done tons of draw and dry fire training to make it muscle memory

Get a holosun acss...i wish i got one first.

They have a circle and a triangle in the center

Basically when your holding it correctly you cant see the circle only the triangle...and if you see any part of the circle you know how to correct fast

That optic really helped a lot

I'm of the opinion that a good trigger pull is probably 60% of shooting a gun fast with accuracy.

Where would you put that number?

I would say it is 100%, but broken into How and When

How you pull the trigger...the only thing that matters is did you not move the sights when you pulled the trigger. Press, slap, light weight trigger, heavy trigger, reset feel...none of that matters if you don't move the sights..... messing this up usually causes the bad hit on the target

When you pull the trigger. Did you see what you needed to see to initiate the trigger pull. Messing this up causes a miss on the target.

If you index the gun correctly on target, it doesn't matter if it's irons or a dot. The "sights" will be on target.

EDC? Irons only, cos I have to carry that f***in shit around and it ain't comfortable already.

Bump in the night gun? WML and red dot. Gotta get me to the safe 3' away from it where my rifle is, obviously.

But seriously, I keep a WML on my VP9 for weird noises at night and I carry that bitch OWB when I go hunting. Sometimes it's dark af out.

Back
Top Bottom