• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doodads on your carry pistol

Whatcha typically got on your carry pistol to aim with?

• Basic irons only

Votes: 73 31.2%
  • Night sight irons only

Votes: 77 32.9%
  • Electronic optic

Votes: 33 14.1%
  • Irons of any type with light and/or laser

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Optic with light and/or laser

Votes: 31 13.2%

• Total voters
Looks like more and more cops and gangsters run lights, lasers, as well as reflex optics now. Is NES keeping up? So whatcha got on your EDC pistol? Irons - two world warzzzz? Nyte Sytes? Red dot, green dot, yellow dot? Lasers? Lights and lasers?

I’m over 60. Like most people my age, I can’t focus on iron sights without putting on reading glasses. So I use red dots instead.

I always carry a flashlight. I also have a light mounted on my usual carry gun. I don’t consider a weapon mounted light as a need to have. But I do need either a red dot or a laser on my carry gun, due to my inability to focus on iron sights. YMMV.

For the “learn how to use iron sights“ brigade, I was using iron sights while you were still in diapers. Once you get to my age, you too may find it hard or impossible to use iron sights.

Last edited:
For the “learn how to use iron sights“ brigade, I was using iron sights while you were still in diapers. Once you get to my age, you too will find it hard or impossible to use iron sights.
Even less fun: have razor sharp vision while shooting regularly in your 20s, get away from shooting altogether for about 20 years, come back to it and realize you can't see shit anymore.

I’m over 60. Like most people my age, I can’t focus on iron sights without putting on reading glasses. So I use red dots instead.

I always carry a flashlight. I also have a light mounted on my usual carry gun. I don’t consider a weapon mounted light as a need to have. But I do need either a red dot or a laser on my carry gun, due to my inability to focus on iron sights. YMMV.

For the “learn how to use iron sights“ brigade, I was using iron sights while you were still in diapers. Once you get to my age, you too will find it hard or impossible to use iron sights.
Also seems like newbie shooters who started out with optics end up being much better shots much faster than a newbie who started out with irons. Something about the spazzing dot providing immediate feedback on how much your hand shakes before you even take the shot.

Do you really need a red dot?

If I need to shoot I'd likely be with 3 yards.

I'm looking for combat accuracy to survive an attack.

I'm not likely to be saving hostages with a precision shot to the head from 20 feet.
As we see from the Brooklyn, NY thread, homeboy needed to flick on the green laser before smoking two people. The dot lets you know where the holes go.

Do you really need a red dot?

If I need to shoot I'd likely be with 3 yards.

I'm looking for combat accuracy to survive an attack.

I'm not likely to be saving hostages with a precision shot to the head from 20 feet.
It is much faster. Draw, see the dot on target with both eyes open and focused on the target, pull trigger and repeat.

As we see from the Brooklyn, NY thread, homeboy needed to flick on the green laser before smoking two people. The dot lets you know where the holes go.

It is much faster. Draw, see the dot on target with both eyes open and focused on the target, pull trigger and repeat.
More crap to get tangled up, slow me down, and be harder to conceal.

I'd like an ACRO P2 on a Gen5 Glock 21 though.

Last edited:
More crap to get tangled up, slow me down, and be harder to conceal.

I'd like an ACRO P2 on a Gen5 Glock 21 though.
Damn. I just put some single window Holosuns on a couple of my guns and now all the cool kids have been running closed emitter tube TVs on their pieces for a while now. Just can't win. Time to upgrade yet again.

Damn. I just put some single window Holosuns on a couple of my guns and now all the cool kids have been running closed emitter tube TVs on their pieces for a while now. Just can't win. Time to upgrade yet again.
I don't think enclosed emitters are must haves and they have downsides -- increased bulk.

What do you zero your pistol dots to? 15 yards? 25?
It doesn't matter. If you are able to tell the difference in zero between 15 yards and 25 yards without a Ransom rest, then you are are a far better shot than I.

I zero my dot at about 10', then start working my way back and adjust the dot as I move back.

There's going to be a lot of fudd lore in this thread...

Modern optics are fantastic and superior to iron sights. WMLs are also good to have. Personally though, I like to roll with a minimalist setup so I have neither on my carry guns.

I go with the less is more. This is not an absolute but I feel if I need to draw my gun I want less one it to get snagged or f*** up the situation for me before I get it fully out. Reason I bought a Sig P365 SAS.

I do need to get more time in on my Glock with it's optic to zero it in and maybe that would take over at some point.

There's going to be a lot of fudd lore in this thread...

Modern optics are fantastic and superior to iron sights. WMLs are also good to have. Personally though, I like to roll with a minimalist setup so I have neither on my carry guns.
I like to carry a modern semi with optic and light as well as a second backup J-frame just to get the nod from the fudds.

Closed emitter tube TV's???

Got a link to that product?

If the cool Blacks are running that with their Glock Switches - I NEED THAT.

To go with my new Jordan Aquas.

I agree with the getting older and not focusing well on irons, but I can still see my Trijicon HDs. I also have so many nice handguns, that it would be crazy expensive putting dots on all of them.

I’m over 60. Like most people my age, I can’t focus on iron sights without putting on reading glasses.
Just curious, what happens when you focus on the target? Are you still aware of your iron rights or do you lose them entirely with your eyesight?

Back
Top Bottom