• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Don't Try This At Logan!

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Man raises eyebrows carrying rifle through Atlanta Airport

A man carrying a rifle inside the Atlanta airport wasn’t breaking any laws, but he did raise a few eyebrows, including those of some Atlanta police officers.

Jim Cooley says he carried his gun through the terminal when he and his wife went to drop his daughter off for her flight. He says he knew he wasn’t breaking any rules because he has a full understanding of Georgia’s gun laws.

You can carry in unsecured areas of the airport. Past TSA, never,” Cooley said.

That’s exactly what he did. Cooley carried his AR-15 fully loaded with a 100-round drum through parts of the terminal.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-raises-eyebrows-carrying-gun-through-atlanta-a/nmTFS/

No, he didn't get arrested and they didn't call out a SWAT team or lockdown the airport.

Glad he got the attention he was seeking. He wasn't carrying, he was being an attention seeking idiot. He's not helpful.

Just because something "might be" legal doesn't mean that you should do it. He could have just as easily strapped on a handgun and OC'd if he was just trying to enjoy his rights within the law, but as said, he was clearly an attention whore. Who the hell would want to walk around with a 100rd drum anyway? That's a range toy, or if you're entrenched so you don't need to reload. He should have walked around with a belt fed just for extra dramatic effect![rolleyes]

Glad he got the attention he was seeking. He wasn't carrying, he was being an attention seeking idiot. He's not helpful.

Why not? Are we going to walk around like we're doing something illegal by exercising our rkba? Make up your mind. You're either going to take a stand or you're going to sneak around in fear of the sheep. If more people did this, then it won't be an issue anymore.

Good for him.

While it may be unwise to do such a thing, rights do not stop just because stupidity begins. In fact I'd argue its much more important to vehemently defend these things along the fringe than ignore them. Similar to how I rabidly defend free speech rights, even though I don't hang out with the Klan.

You don't have to support a persons decisions to help them defend a right.

Why not? Are we going to walk around like we're doing something illegal by exercising our rkba? Make up your mind. You're either going to take a stand or you're going to sneak around in fear of the sheep. If more people did this, then it won't be an issue anymore.

So I take it those crazy gay pride parades help the LGBITLDLKSDFKJ:SDFKSFDI community in your opinion? You know, the ones where everyone is wearing butt-less leather and really being the stereotypical 'gay'.
No, not really. It's the Log Cabin Republicans, it's the 'oh, I didn't know you were gay' crowd that is getting things done to make their lives better.

A group of open carrying guys wearing business casual would do more for the movement than a solo warrior carrying a tackleberry AR into a place to make a show.

That's exactly what they want you to be like. Oh that's not smart or reasonable to do at the airport. No one needs to do that.
The point is it doesn't matter. It was in anyone's right to do that and it went perfectly fine as it should have.
The thoughts that "oh he's an idiot" and "this is just fuel for the antis" is part of the problem. The guy doing the open carry wasn't the fuel, those thoughts dividing the gun owners help as fuel.

Just because something "might be" legal doesn't mean that you should do it. He could have just as easily strapped on a handgun and OC'd if he was just trying to enjoy his rights within the law, but as said, he was clearly an attention whore. Who the hell would want to walk around with a 100rd drum anyway? That's a range toy, or if you're entrenched so you don't need to reload. He should have walked around with a belt fed just for extra dramatic effect![rolleyes]

Still dont know how I feel about this issue (I see both sides of it) BUT....

Open carrying like that is akin to how the gay and lesbian groups 'normalised' there lifestlye by being so out in the open that everyone HAD to either get used to it or give up. 20 years ago seeing two guys holding hands would have caused a S-storm of problems, now no one even looks twice. The theory being that if moonbats saw random people at CVS every other day with an AR on there back eventualy they would stop complaining about it and just accept it.

Now the reality is that it may not work if you dont have the media/judges/liberal establisment/etc.. on your side but thats te idea. It worked for them, so why not us?

And yes, I know short term everytime someone does this it makes it harder for all the rest of the 2a supporters because we get cought in the knee jerk backlash, then again so did may LGBT in the 80's and 90's...

Maybe he was concerned about defending himself? I'm pretty sure that if I could walk around with my AR without getting hassled I probably would in a lot of circumstances, not to seek attention but to have protection, you know, like we should be able to have. I think we could all agree that if everyone was walking around with their rifles everyday, this would be a non issue.

Agreed. Morons like this don't help our cause.

Disagree: He researched the law, knew what he was doing, was informed, and safely carried a loaded long gun in a public setting where most people probably didn't know you could. Would a smaller weapon have achieved the same thing with less attention?

The more guns are out in the open and the more they are seen, people get used to seeing them and fewer moonbats call the police because they saw a gun in the neighbor's window.

Georgia passed a law in 2014 making it legal to do just this. Shouldn't people just follow the lawwr?

Disappointed he didn't wear camo, flak jacket etc.

He's the same as the few idiots who where posing in a starbucks with AR. This guy wasn't exercising a right, he was looking for attention (the drum mag indicates this even more). The open carry texas group was doing it as a political statement (which worked). Yeah he's exercising a right but he's doing it for his own attention not to correct 2a laws and views.

So I take it those crazy gay pride parades help the LGBITLDLKSDFKJ:SDFKSFDI community in your opinion? You know, the ones where everyone is wearing butt-less leather and really being the stereotypical 'gay'.
No, not really. It's the Log Cabin Republicans, it's the 'oh, I didn't know you were gay' crowd that is getting things done to make their lives better.

A group of open carrying guys wearing business casual would do more for the movement than a solo warrior carrying a tackleberry AR into a place to make a show.

So youre comparing perverts and freaks to gun owners now? But those freaks have a right to free speech and most people have now accepted them for what they are. I'm sure the first time they did it people were shocked and outraged but now they just ignore them. Same with us. If we do it often enough, people will get used to it and not behave like scared sheep and call out the swat teams. Best of all maybe cops will stop harassing us as well.

We've all heard the saying, " why do you carry a gun? Because a cop is too heavy." Well most of us carry a pistol because a rifle is too big. Now if it was a shtf situation, I'd carry more than just a rifle but for everyday use, a pistol is fine. I'm a contractor and quite a few times I've had my shirt slide up and expose my pistol in front of the customer. Not once has anyone reacted badly to it. I don't think some even realize what it is. One customer did ask to look at it since he was thinking about buying one.

La la la, out yourself why won't you.

Again a thread delivers, the shipple sing "he didn't help the cause", not getting how much they have been pushed to the corner to the point that if you don't tuck your Glock between your nuts and walk proud with a rifle "you are just bragging and seeking attention".

While same shipple don't mind cops carrying shotguns (why of course, they are cops, they were trained to! And people are not afraid of them in general, so let's all dumb down and act acoordingly), being groped by TSA and worst of all, paying for beer on a flight !

Who's my anti in a wolf's disguise ? smooooch.

Last edited:
Those 100 round AR drums are about as reliable as Obama telling us we're going to save $2500 on our healthcare premiums. Nice story but not the brightest bulb on the tree

i agree also. this stuff just fuels the flames so to speak.

Disappointed he didn't wear camo, flak jacket etc.

He's the same as the few idiots who where posing in a starbucks with AR. This guy wasn't exercising a right, he was looking for attention (the drum mag indicates this even more). The open carry texas group was doing it as a political statement (which worked). Yeah he's exercising a right but he's doing it for his own attention not to correct 2a laws and views.

1. Don't confuse your cause with "our" cause. I'm not sure what your cause is, but it sure as hell is not the same as mine.

2. This lame defeatist attitude is more of a problem than someone who exercises a right in any lawful manner of THEIR choosing.

3. Open carry rights (and carry rights in general) have been advancing. You guys sound like the moon bats scared of guns except apparently your only scared of rifles but handguns are okay, or something. Whatever it is, your "not helping our cause".

That is awesome and id love to do it in the Boston but the sheeple would all crap their pants

Awhile ago a dude with a tricorner hat carried a mosin around at MHT. (Manchester) I think some cops followed him around but they didn't give him any shit.

-Mike

Under some circumstances I'd agree, others, not so much.. For example, you want to know why OC is readily accepted in NH pretty much everywhere? Because not all that long ago bunch of folks openly carried handguns, discussions were had with LE, etc, some people got wrongly detained, etc... but now all of those things are nearly improbable... you know why? Because eventually an institutional knowledge was formed that such activities are legal, absent any other criminal indication. Back then when Ayotte was the AG and didn't suck, she even wrote an edict more or less stating that someone merely carrying a firearm was not a valid excuse to arrest or detain someone, or something to that effect.

In other cases I might be inclined to agree, eg, the morons muzzle sweeping each other at Starbucks, etc, but I think that's a whole different angle to things altogether.

-Mike

1. Don't confuse your cause with "our" cause. I'm not sure what your cause is, but it sure as hell is not the same as mine.

2. This lame defeatist attitude is more of a problem than someone who exercises a right in any lawful manner of THEIR choosing.

3. Open carry rights (and carry rights in general) have been advancing. You guys sound like the moon bats scared of guns except apparently your only scared of rifles but handguns are okay, or something. Whatever it is, your "not helping our cause".
Best to ease The Fearful into the realization they are at least supposed to have the RKBA rather than trying to shock them with hardware. What Those Trained to Fear need to see right now is well-dressed people open carrying handguns. Open carry rights will not continue to advance if the disarmament enthusiast media complex exacerbates and capitalizes on fear resultant from the bed-wetting public seeing Chipotle commandos hanging out at airports.

The guy at the airport has a different cause than you. He's about attention for himself, not further your cause and ours (they are the same, you and the people on this board). The guy is GA is a look at me, I'm cool, I made rhe news.

Back
Top Bottom