• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Don't teach what you don't know...

Too bad she had to pay for his actions. The brothers will never be the same, either.

Honestly, I don't really see clogging up a jail bed for this. If it happened as reported, he'll punish himself far more effectively than The System ever could.

Last edited:
Courts records show Olivia was shot in the forehead from about two feet away, according to the Tribune.

JFC!! What kind of ****ing piece of shit can point a gun at their ****ing child?!? You don't just accidental sweep your kid's forehead while pulling the trigger. I bet this ******* thought the gun was unloaded and deliberately pointed it at the kid when he "decocked it" thinking he was being funny.

After they left the room, Hummel was heard saying: 'What the f*** just happened.

You just shot your daughter in the ****ing head because you are an incompetent worthless piece of shit! That's what just ****ing happened!

This ******* needs to loose his kids and his ****ing life!

I need to go smoke a bowl. This shit ****ing enrages me to no end!

JFC!! What kind of ****ing piece of shit can point a gun at their ****ing child?!? You don't just accidental sweep your kid's forehead while pulling the trigger. I bet this ******* thought the gun was unloaded and deliberately pointed it at the kid when he "decocked it" thinking he was being funny.

My guess as well.

Poor kid

From the article:
Olivia Hummel was shot in the head on June 10 inside her family home in Hobart, Indiana, when her father's gun accidentally went off

This is just awful, and it's typical crap reporting. The gun went off because he failed to follow the fundamental rules of safe gun handling. He pointed a gun at someone after failing to make sure that it was unloaded, and he pulled the trigger. He's directly responsible for shooting his own daughter. Who he by all accounts loved dearly.

I'd hate to be in his shoes right now - I have children, grand-children, and firearms.

Absolutely horrible, but he neglected the first rules of gun safety. Never point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot and always check to see if it's loaded.

Being aware of where the muzzle is pointed is one of the things I absolutely drill into any new shooters that I take out. Sometimes even remind the experienced ones too.

You can't fix stupid, and in a Free Society we have to tolerate the outcomes of bad decisions 'we' wouldn't make.

It's a shame there aren't more gun-safety classes provided in K-12 schools in the US....

He broke most of the rules of gun safety straight from the start.

How was he teaching safety to his kids?

I quiz my son on the rules all the time.

And the first rule we follow is: Always treat a gun as if it's loaded.

He should have said that before he even got it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was 15, about 40 years ago, (yikes!), I had my hunter's safety course at my high school. Imagine that today; The high school cafeteria with the tables full of rifles and shotguns! Our guidance counselor was an active outdoorsman and he, along with a couple of game wardens, or whatever Massachusetts called them in 1978, taught the class which was required ( I think) if you wanted to get your FID.
I remember the instructors pat searched each other to make sure none of them accidentally brought in any ammo and then they pat searched all of the kids.
Next, one of the guys opened the action of each one of the guns, showed the empty gun to the other guys to confim it was empty, and then placed them on the table that had a big, hand-drawn sign that read "CLEAR".
Next they explained all of the rules of safe gun handling and showed some graphic slides of what could go wrong, along with an overview of gun nomenclature and so on.
Only after all that was anyone, including the instructors allowed to touch a gun.
As far as I can recall no one was shot in the head.

Sad story

"Hummel accidentally shot her after pulling the trigger of his semi-automatic handgun without realizing it was loaded while teaching his kids about gun safety"

This x1000, always treat a gun as if it were loaded. Absolutely awful tragedy but could've been avoided. Ignorance at its finest.

Tragic ! he broke the rules of saftey. What happened to the statie who shot his wife? he was cleaning his gun and "it went off"

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
And this is why I always recommend a revolver to any new shooter looking for a handgun for self defense.
Easy to load and unload to make safe.

It's not the ideal choice mind you. But everyone may not have the time to learn exactly how to load and unload a self loading firearm or they just don't understand how they operate.
A self loading, magazine fed firearm requires more training and safety steps to ensure it is loaded and truly unloaded!

Last edited:

How should one treat a loaded gun? I personally don't like that being considered a rule because it's way too vague for new people.

- - - Updated - - -

This x1000, always treat a gun as if it were loaded. Absolutely awful tragedy but could've been avoided. Ignorance at its finest.

So how do you treat a loaded gun? Should you keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger?

I just dont even see how this could have happened. I get a lapse of judgement, but the series of fail is too much for me to believe.

His lifes over now, if he didnt have other children i could totally see him killing himself. so prison doesnt really seem worth it..im not a fan of therapy, in this case all involved better get mental help asap.

- - - Updated - - -

How should one treat a loaded gun? I personally don't like that being considered a rule because it's way too vague for new people.

- - - Updated - - -

So how do you treat a loaded gun? Should you keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger?

The same way you treat an unloaded gun.itll keep you from shooting your daughter in the face from two feet away...you wont have to worry about forgetting its loaded.....if thats even a thing?

And this is why I always recommend a revolver to any new shooter looking for a handgun for self defense.

It's not the ideal choice mind you. But everyone may not have the time to learn exactly how to load and unload any self loading firearm or they just don't understand how they operate.
A self loading, magazine fed firearm requires more training and safety step to ensure it is loaded and truly unloaded!

Doesn't matter if you've got your muzzle in a safe direction and your finger off the trigger. I see what you're trying to say, but that's why there are just four rules and they're simple and applicable to any firearm.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, that first rule means "assume every gun is loaded" and handle it appropriately.

I feel for the guy, but what is he, missing half his brain? Who the **** would point a gun at a kid, loaded or unloaded? Christ.

-Mike

Too bad she had to pay for his actions. The brothers will never be the same, either.

Honestly, I don't really see clogging up a jail bed for this. If it happened as reported, he'll punish himself far more effectively than The System ever could.

+1 can't imagine a greater punishment than the guilt and grief. But the state has to get its pound of flesh.

It's not the ideal choice mind you. But everyone may not have the time to learn exactly how to load and unload a self loading firearm or they just don't understand how they operate.
A self loading, magazine fed firearm requires more training and safety steps to ensure it is loaded and truly unloaded!
I agree 100 percent. I worked for one of the last departments in the country to switch from revolvers to semi autos. And from an instructor's point of view I wish we never switched. I don't recall anyone ever having a negligent discharge during the wheel gun days. But since the change we've had several, sad to say.

Back
Top Bottom