• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Reptile

NES Member
Hot news from Pennslyvania:

Man hot over gun permit

By Barbara S. Miller
Staff writer

[email protected]

A Buffalo Township resident who went to the Washington County sheriff's office this week to renew a gun permit ended up having his permit revoked and facing a disorderly conduct citation.

Jim Main, 59, contends the sheriff's office is bullying him, and he vowed to contact the National Rifle Association, of which he is a life member.

Main received a letter from the sheriff's department notifying him that his gun permit was going to expire in 60 days. Because it arrived on sheriff's department letterhead, he said, he considered the matter urgent and went to the Courthouse Square office on Monday.

After paying $25 to renew the permit, which expires Dec. 26, Main found that the new permit expired in October 2012. He said he felt the permit should have extended to December 26, 2012.

"I figured it was a clerical mistake. I got a little hot under the collar," Main said. "I was yelling some. I shouldn't have lost my temper, admittedly. I made them reissue the old permit, and they gave me the check back.

"The government penalizes me for anything I'm late on. They're taking money and time out of my pocket."

James D'Alessandro, chief deputy sheriff, said the five-year permit was issued in accordance with state law, expiring five years from the date of issue.

Either he or Sgt. Donald Jones told Main the office didn't have to issue a permit on the spot to carry a concealed weapon and could conduct a background check for up to 45 days.

Main said he took exception with the deputy's attitude.

"He was so irate in the office," D'Alessandro said. "If he's that type of a hothead in the office here, what would he be like in the general public?

"He's not going to come in the office and treat our personnel that way and think he's going to get away with it. They're not here to take abuse."

Main said he spoke on the phone with Sheriff Sam Romano about the deputy's behavior, and on Wednesday he received a certified letter notifying him that his gun permit had been revoked.

D'Alessandro said the disorderly conduct citation against Main has been in the works since Monday and that the decision to cite Main was not prompted by Main's phone call Wednesday to the Observer-Reporter.

He also said the sheriff's office has "discretion if someone acts in a bizarre manner or is a loose wire to void their permit."

Main said that in addition to calling the NRA, he plans to sue the sheriff's office.

Romano was not in the sheriff's office Wednesday afternoon.

what a bunch of bull shit.

So you are telling me that because the guy (rightfully so) got upset because the where screwing him out of 2 months of permit time, they are now flat out revoking him?

we all know that it is BS. and you can't tell me that ANYONE wouldn't get annoyed when they know the government is screwing them out of MORE money.

D'Alessandro said. "If he's that type of a hothead in the office here, what would he be like in the general public?

Did he whip out his "9" and start shooting people? did he make any threatening gestures? or did he say "this is f***ing rediculous, you sent me a letter to renew it, you told me it had to be done right away and now you are shortening my permit time by 2 months, screw that, give me my old one back and I'll come back closer to the renew date."

because that is what any normal person would do.... now we are penalized for voicing our opinion on government fees on shit that is already our rights?

Understandably, it is only 2 monnths... but still... doesn't everyone get a little tire of every time that the government moves stuff up on you...
I hope he wins.

Last edited:
I wonder how pissed he will get when the NRA can't help him? I've been in that situation, and the NRA doesn't deal on individual cases unless they are precedent setting. The NRA told me to call the ACLU.

Instead I hired my own lawyer and took the COP to court, and won my case.

I would not suggest losing your temper at the police station. That is just plain stupid.

ADDED: That's why the Mass law says the permit will be issued UP TO 6 YEARS. It depends on when you apply and when you get the permit. If you renew too early, you might lose several months on your renewal because it is 6 years max from the date of the renewal

Last edited:
While this guy was wronged, I don't think he understands the whole "discretion is the better part of valor" concept. After this is all over it's likely going to cost him a lot more than $25.

Course, this whole thing is a good argument behind not having stupid permits
at all. Less aggravation for the LEOs and the citizens.

-Mike

I would not suggest losing your temper at the police station. That is just plain stupid.

+1

There was a case here in MA a number of years back when a fellow lost his temper while in police station on a firearms licensing matter. It didn't end well for him.

+1

There was a case here in MA a number of years back when a fellow lost his temper while in police station on a firearms licensing matter. It didn't end well for him.

Has it finally ended? Thank heavens! The last time I looked he was still going around ranting and posting amateur legal arguments in The Outdoor Message and any place else he could get space. Somehow I still suspect we haven't seen the last of it.

Ken

Ken, good point. It will never be over in his mind. But he did lose his license.

I have to say that I don't understand why GOAL keeps printing his rants.

Back
Top Bottom