Don't like the S&W internal lock?

Why would you want to remove the internal lock? Just so that it could never be locked? Do they fail? I have no idea where that key is anyway. I may have thrown it out.

yes theyve been known to lock themselves under heavy recoil

Particularly in Scandium-framed heavy kickers like 329s, 325s, 327s, etc.

Every one of my S&Ws with the lock has had it disabled. And before the chicken-littles start with their liability BS, stop.

Very well made instructional video. I especially liked the Muzak playing in the background.

Good find. [grin]

Once you take the lock out, do you end up with a hole in the side of the Revo? I couldn't tell.

Also, why did he have to remove the cylinder release screw? It didn't seem like that was necessary.

Once you take the lock out, do you end up with a hole in the side of the Revo? I couldn't tell.

Also, why did he have to remove the cylinder release screw? It didn't seem like that was necessary.

You need to remove the cylinder release screw if you want to remove the cylinder release bolt..

Having a hole from removing the flag only will depend on the gun. My 627 does not have a hole, my 642 does. it also has a big oiling hole in it too

Last edited:
I did see the shell rims. Unbelievable a guy could make a fairly informative video, sound like he knows what he's doing (but for the twisty thing on the trigger) and leave the gun loaded! Not much surprises me where bad gun handling is concerned, but that was incredible.

John

At least one of the chambers was empty, the one near the cylinder release. I'm pretty sure the others were as well, but he should have started this with confirming the gun was empty.

And it was interesting music.

Wow, what an excellent video.

You can see, if you look closely, that all cylinders are empty. You are seeing optical illusions, because he is shooting from an angle AND the cylinders are highly polished, you see the reflection of the cylinder wall. Once in a while he shoots exactly perpendicular to the gun, and you can see that there are no lips of brass from cartridges in any of the cylinders--you can see right through to the back where the table is with nothing seated in the cylinders.

I am not that familiar with S&W, though. What is an "internal lock"? Is this something that disables the gun if you do not have a key?

great video. I just acquired a 642 and as soon as it is warm enough to get to my tools I will be sitting down and removing that GD lock!

Very detailed video....(Though my 642 is a new no lock) I'd like to see the trigger job video he referred to.

Watch from the 8:30 minute mark - the chambers are clearly loaded with yellow brass rounds. The gun is empty early on, but at the end while he's dicking around with the side plate and putting the grips on, the gun is loaded. Either that or I'm blind. This could be.

John

1) If you look closely, the flat blade that the actor is using to remove the sideplate screws is too wide. Marring the screws or plate (or frame) if a S&W is an easy and horrible thing to do.

2) The revolver used for the video is a J-Frame, DAO. There will be some differences with the more common DA/SA design or K-Frame revolvers. The former involves re-insertion of the hammer; the latter involves removal of the mainspring. No big deal in either case, but undestand that for a different model, what you will see when the revolver is disassembled will be slightly different from what was in the video.

3) As long as the sideplate is removed and the hammer is removed, I'd put a very small amount of RIG on the hammer pin. Indeed, if I were going that far, I'd remove the trigger and do the same, as well as cleaning and lubing the hand and rebound slide race.

4) As far as I am aware, the "lock" on a post-lock S&W consists of two parts, only one of which this fellow removed. I have no idea what the effect on reliability is of reassembling the revolver with the other part still in place (but no longer supported by the removed part), and I wouldn't make this mod without finding out.

Watch from the 8:30 minute mark - the chambers are clearly loaded with yellow brass rounds. The gun is empty early on, but at the end while he's dicking around with the side plate and putting the grips on, the gun is loaded. Either that or I'm blind. This could be.

John

+1

Clearly visible at 8:53

Wow, what an excellent video.

You can see, if you look closely, that all cylinders are empty. You are seeing optical illusions, because he is shooting from an angle AND the cylinders are highly polished, you see the reflection of the cylinder wall. Once in a while he shoots exactly perpendicular to the gun, and you can see that there are no lips of brass from cartridges in any of the cylinders--you can see right through to the back where the table is with nothing seated in the cylinders.

I am not that familiar with S&W, though. What is an "internal lock"? Is this something that disables the gun if you do not have a key?
Yes the internal lock disables the gun. It has a locked and unlocked position and you need the key which is provided when the gun is purchased.

4) As far as I am aware, the "lock" on a post-lock S&W consists of two parts, only one of which this fellow removed. I have no idea what the effect on reliability is of reassembling the revolver with the other part still in place (but no longer supported by the removed part), and I wouldn't make this mod without finding out.

Relative to this issue can you or anyone else comment as to if it would be a beter idea to leave the piece in place but to remove the knob that protrudes from that part that caused the locking feature with a dremel or similar tool to disable the lock?

Relative to this issue can you or anyone else comment as to if it would be a beter idea to leave the piece in place but to remove the knob that protrudes from that part that caused the locking feature with a dremel or similar tool to disable the lock?

I agree with RKG that leaving some of the lock pieces installed may lead to problems (or maybe not, I'm just not sure). Grinding the locking projection off the "flag" is generally considered to be a foolproof way of disabling the IL. It has the advantage over some methods of not leaving an open hole in the side of the revolver. The major disadvantage is that because S&W, in their infinite nanny wisdom, refuses to sell replacement parts for the IL, the grinding method makes it impossible to restore the revolver to original (IL) function, which admittedly may not be considered a disadvantage at all by some.

Back
Top Bottom