Don't laugh... Barska .22 rimfire scope

I've got a Barska 2x LER on one of my "dumpsterfire" rifles and it holds zero well for something so cheap.

$15 isn't a big gamble and you're not dealing with much recoil.

I don't have any experience with the barska, but for just a little more coin you could get a Simmons 22 mag. Mine holds zero very well and was under $30 with glass that is surprisingly clear for the price range.

I've actually had good luck with Barska, for up to 100 yards any scope will work. Heck I've had good luck with the $4.49 Walmart scopes.

on sale for $12.49 but how much is dealing with crap worth?

Barska 4X20 scope

8/2/2015
Average rating:2out of5stars, based onreviews

by Bill

I was surprised at how cheaply made this scope was when i went to walmart to pick it up. I could not get it to focus clearly to my eye . The scope rails are made of plastic. I suppose it would be ok for a pellet gun but i would not want it for my .22 rimfire. I returned mine for refund and I am ordering from walmart online a BSA 4X32 scope for $27.00. I can't give a full review as i did not mount this to a rifle. I guess you get what you pay for. This scope looks to be just a bit above Tasco 4X15 scope. Photo makes it appear bigger and more substantial than it is.

What did you do with the Mueller?
It's a Crap shoot for anything under $100
As I mentioned the biggest problem generally is the turrets.

I grew up on zero and forget it.
For most 22s with standard velocity we zeroed at around 10 yards. You could then hold center on a 4" target and get hits out to about 80 yards. At 100 it will drop out of the "hit" zone. You would have to hold on top of a 4" target to just catch the bottom. This of course is all "rough" zeros.
When you change ammo types and velocity you need to reset/zero.
Growing up my dad bought 22lr tens of thousands of rounds at a time generally in,30-50k quantities. This was generally plinking ammo unless we got a good deal on "target" ammo. I still have ammo left from the 80s.

Last edited:
So what rings did you people buy after you found out the rings the Simmons came with wouldn't fit?

mac1911, I still have the Mueller. Probably saving it for either a Henry .327, Ruger American in 7.62x39 or .308, or whatever. I may keep it flexible as a good quality, adjustable objective scope to test with new to me rifles before I decided on dedicated glass.

EDIT: nvr mind. I found out the scope uses 1" rings. Thought it used 30mm's.

Last edited:
Why don't they fit?
Most "22" scopes are going to come with a 3/8" mount/rail rings especially "free" rings.
Do yourself a favor with low end optics with free rings.
Toss them in the trash or save them for mounting a scope on a cheap pos pellet gun.

Last edited:
The rings don't fit the base, which are Weaver #12's. I'm not planning on buying bases to fit the free rings to because, like you and others say, they're not good.

Never fired a rimfire .22 Is it true bullet drop is nearly 20ft at 200-300 yards or so??

I got a Barska monocular that was really crappy, if that's any help. The problem was it blurred as you looked to the edges. I wouldn't buy any of their stuff again.

About ten years ago I got a Tasco 'world class' 3-9x40 scope, and ran had it on an Ar15 for a while and then on a Ruger 10/22 and it still works fine. It is pretty decent edge to edge, and has not broken all these years of being kicked around, so that's my best experience with cheap scopes.

You ment 20moa , right.

Negative. The only reason I chimed in was that I was reading American Rifleman in the bathroom the other day and saw this. My first reaction was....wtf? 20 feet? Maybe it's a typo?
IMG_2070.JPG

page 24 April 2018

Back
Top Bottom