don't force the press

allen-1

NES Member
I have a Dillon XL650 - and I've broken a few parts on it as I was going through the learning curve. One thing that really sank in after a few mistakes was that if there's resistance - STOP. Don't pass go, don't collect $200, don't ask the RO what's going on - just STOP.

Last night I was loading some 9mm and the handle wouldn't go all the way down. It stopped when the press still had about 2 inches of travel. Hmmm... Wtf?

So I started taking things apart. See picture below. Turned out that a primer had flipped up was preventing the primer wheel from turning. Simple to fix, and no need to take it apart as far as I did. On the other hand, I took the opportunity to clean things, grease parts and generally service it.

Ran some more bullets this morning - and checked to make sure that my powder weight and OAL were good. They are.

IMG_1470.JPG

Good advice but there are steps where significant pressure/resistance are normal

For example, if you're using a full length die for resizing rifle brass, even 223 brass can require a bit of force on the lever

But you get to know where in the process its normal for there to be force required and where its not which I think is your point.

the only issue I have is that f***ing plastic washer on the powder that fits very tight and I always break it after a few times of removing it and putting it back. This is on a 750.

For the cost of a Dillon, it would be nice if they jsut machined one out of metal, even if that increases the cost $5-10.

I’ve found my 550 likes to spit the old primer out in front of the primer slide bar and it abruptly stops sometime,time to do some tinkering. I’m thinking about maybe trying one of the plastic risers on eBay for 10$

the only issue I have is that f***ing plastic washer on the powder that fits very tight and I always break it after a few times of removing it and putting it back. This is on a 750.

For the cost of a Dillon, it would be nice if they jsut machined one out of metal, even if that increases the cost $5-10.

while putting my brand new 550 together I cracked it I was so pissed lol.Dillon took care of me and had new one out in two days I think but I agree it seems fragile. I’ve found that if I twist it while trying to replace or remove with moderate pressure she pops out easily. don’t just throw baron and rip the lever trying to seat bushing (like I did)

Back
Top Bottom