• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Don't carry in church? Perhaps you should

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_7380378

Quote:
PALMDALE - A 65-year-old man armed with a gun terrorized a Catholic church before Sunday evening services, shouting profanities, assaulting a priest who tried to calm him and making threats as choir members held him down.

"There's going to be a killing," Claude Sricchia is said to have shouted once he entered St. Mary's Catholic Church about half an hour before the 5:30 p.m. Mass.

"It was kind of a frightening experience," said Msgr. Stephen Downes, St. Mary's pastor. "The man was shouting in the church, `Clear the church, there's going to be a killing."'

Sheriff's deputies arrived, and as they were handcuffing Sricchia they found a loaded .45-caliber pistol tucked in the back of his waistband, officials said.

"It was cocked and ready to go," Deputy Daryl Bonsall said.

Sricchia, who lives in Acton, was arrested on suspicion of making terrorist threats, assault and having a concealed firearm, Bonsall said.

Sricchia was not a member of the Palmdale parish, Downes said.

The pastor had just arrived at the church at 1600 E. Ave. R when a staff member called his cell phone, alerting him to a man shouting inside the church.

"As I walked in, he had gotten to the choir area and became very aggressive," Downes said. "He hit a male choir member on the side of the head, then a maintenance man tackled him to the ground. Other choir members held him down."

Downes said the man was cursing, saying there was no God or religion, Downes said. "He said, `I believed for 65 years. There is no God,"' Downes said.

Downes went to try to calm Sricchia but when the man realized that Downes was a priest, "he became enraged and cursed and swore even more and called me a child molester," Downes said.

The man kicked Downes, knocking him to the ground.

Mass was held but started late, Downes said.

If I'm ever in church and not carrying, then I'm the guy lying down in the upholstered box with his eyes closed. [rolleyes]

Ken

"Don't carry in church? Perhaps you should"
What could be more convenient, instant access to confession afterwards if so needed. [smile]

We used to laugh about a guy who carried his .357 everywhere, even at high Latin masses.

"Forgive me, Father, for I have blown away the idiot who was pistol-whipping you..."
"I'll say one Hallelujah and you're forgiven, my son."

"As I walked in, he had gotten to the choir area and became very aggressive," Downes said. "He hit a male choir member on the side of the head, then a maintenance man tackled him to the ground. Other choir members held him down."

Now imagine if that maintenance man was in the pizza shop in Needham. One police car, 2 cops, and a pair of handcuffs instead of the overwhelming force that showed.

Back
Top Bottom