Don't buy cheap crap...

milktree

NES Member
To be fair, I don't for sure know that the "Made in China" one doesn't work just fine in a normal rifle, I haven't tried it yet.

I'm verrrrrry slowly building an AR-9. I bought this buffer (the upper one) for that. My intent was to use a rifle buffer with three tungsten heavy weights to slow it down. I opened the buffer to make sure I wasn't insane with my plan, and found.... WTF? This doesn't seem right! *ONE* steel weight, with only two bumpers. Plus the spacer is ... thin. I'm sure it's fine, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

The lower one came out of an AR-15 built by Bushmaster. Five steel weights, five bumpers.

buffers.jpg

I took the Armalite AR-15 armorer's class years ago (it was advertised here on NES!). The instructors talked about using quality parts and specifically mentioned buffers in particular as being problematic for fly-by-night manufacturers putting anything imaginable in the buffer for weight. They had some gun show samples they showed us, which the misc weights included shotgun shot, sand, and misc pot metal bits--essentially misc trash!

To be fair, I don't for sure know that the "Made in China" one doesn't work just fine in a normal rifle, I haven't tried it yet.

I'm verrrrrry slowly building an AR-9. I bought this buffer (the upper one) for that. My intent was to use a rifle buffer with three tungsten heavy weights to slow it down. I opened the buffer to make sure I wasn't insane with my plan, and found.... WTF? This doesn't seem right! *ONE* steel weight, with only two bumpers. Plus the spacer is ... thin. I'm sure it's fine, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

The lower one came out of an AR-15 built by Bushmaster. Five steel weights, five bumpers.

View attachment 349572
Dont buy cheap crap then expect it to be as good or better than not cheap crap.
Im not to upset when cheap crap does not work.
It really irks me when you pay good money for what is supposed to be a good part and its cheap junk.
I took a chance on some "cheap" US made upper kits. Not the best stuff but they did everything they where supposed to do.

I took the Armalite AR-15 armorer's class years ago (it was advertised here on NES!). The instructors talked about using quality parts and specifically mentioned buffers in particular as being problematic for fly-by-night manufacturers putting anything imaginable in the buffer for weight. They had some gun show samples they showed us, which the misc weights included shotgun shot, sand, and misc pot metal bits--essentially misc trash!

That’s funny, I read somewhere on The Internet that lead shot actually works well in an AR-9 buffer.

That’s funny, I read somewhere on The Internet that lead shot actually works well in an AR-9 buffer.

Lead is one of the softest metals. So while it might work at first, it's thought to deform, potentially breakup over time, leading to inconsistent performance and possible failure. In contrast, tungsten steel used for commercial buffers, is one of the hardest steels, and thus thought to perform the same over and over.

Lead is one of the softest metals. So while it might work at first, it's thought to deform, potentially breakup over time, leading to inconsistent performance and possible failure. In contrast, tungsten steel used for commercial buffers, is one of the hardest steels, and thus thought to perform the same over and over.

.... until the rubber spacers wear out. Tungsten is good for weight, but not four energy absorption. It's the rubber that turns mechanical energy into heat (absorbs the energy)

Dead blow hammers are filled with lead shot and they're really good at preventing "bounce". I've never heard of a dead blow hammer wearing out because the lead got too powdery.

My thinking on using lead shot is that it's really cheap, and you could replace it every 10k rounds or so and it wouldn't really cost you anything, surely less than the tungsten

.... until the rubber spacers wear out. Tungsten is good for weight, but not four energy absorption. It's the rubber that turns mechanical energy into heat (absorbs the energy)

Dead blow hammers are filled with lead shot and they're really good at preventing "bounce". I've never heard of a dead blow hammer wearing out because the lead got too powdery.

My thinking on using lead shot is that it's really cheap, and you could replace it every 10k rounds or so and it wouldn't really cost you anything, surely less than the tungsten

You can you swing a hammer as fast as a AR cycling? Very impressive!

Sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Typical carbine buffer from a reputable source costs $15.

The function of buffers: The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer

You can you swing a hammer as fast as a AR cycling? Very impressive!

Absolutely. That’s why hammers work.

I have about 18” to get the hammer up to speed, not just 6”, that makes it easier.

Obviously I can’t do it as frequently, but that’s a different question.

Sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Typical carbine buffer from a reputable source costs $15.

Oh, I know. I need a rifle buffer, but your point stands.

Absolutely. That’s why hammers work.

I have about 18” to get the hammer up to speed, not just 6”, that makes it easier.

Obviously I can’t do it as frequently, but that’s a different question.

You can cycle a hammer 800 times a minute--amazingly fast!

Maybe if you change your buffer lead shot each time you change your blinker fluid, you won't forget!

Or better yet, dog shit seems to stick when dropped. Maybe just put dog shit in the buffer!

Where did the first buffer come from, wish.com?

-Mike

I have no idea. I've looked through my records and can't find it.

Which annoys me because usually I'm pretty good at keeping track of stuff like that, and I want to make sure I never buy from them again.

You can cycle a hammer 800 times a minute--amazingly fast!

You asked how fast I could swing a hammer. I can move the hammer head as fast as the buffer moves, yes.

I just can't do it as often.

800 times a minute? Don't be absurd. Can you pull the trigger that fast? I didn't think so. We're not talking about a machinegun here.

The thing that's going to damage the buffer stuff, be it the rubber dampers or the lead shot, isn't the speed of the buffer, it's the acceleration at the ends of its throw. So, yes, I can hit something with a hammer as hard as the buffer hits without question.

Maybe if you change your buffer lead shot each time you change your blinker fluid, you won't forget!

I bet you're right! I also bet that if I never changed the lead shot the buffer would work just fine (or at least no worse than new) until the barrel wore out. See "never seen a dead blow hammer wear out", above.

Or better yet, dog shit seems to stick when dropped. Maybe just put dog shit in the buffer!

I'm pretty sure you're mocking me here and not just making a joke. Assuming I'm right it reveals that you know a lot about AR parts, but not about the physics inside of them.

You must have watched that video you posted, so you know that the point of the weights and rubber bits in the buffer is to slow the bolt down at its extremes, so it doesn't bounce. Exactly like a dead blow hammer.

Back
Top Bottom