• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Done.

92FS or M&P 2.0 FS

• Total voters
Chance for a like new Beretta 92FS, or a like-new S&W M&P 2.0 Full size 9mm. Both about the same price. Won't CC either (too big/heavy) but for home/range. Which one do you go with, and why? (Pre-Ban mags not an issue, as I live in a free state).

Sure, but it's still a nice change from a stock plastic pistol like a Gen 3 glock.
There's no f****** way I would ever take a stock 92fs over a stock gen 3 Glock no f****** way never ever in a billion years. F*** that Seer creep it just gets in your brain and it screws up your shooting. I didn't realize it until I had owned a 92fs for a while and then a friend of mine had the same gun and it has the same f****** s***** trigger in it. Blech.

I have a 92X Centurion now, though, and it's decent.... but it makes 92fs look like doodoo. 🤣

There's no f****** way I would ever take a stock 92fs over a stock gen 3 Glock no f****** way never ever in a billion years. F*** that Seer creep it just gets in your brain and it screws up your shooting. I didn't realize it until I had owned a 92fs for a while and then a friend of mine had the same gun and it has the same f****** s***** trigger in it. Blech.

I have a 92X Centurion now, though, and it's decent.... but it makes 92fs look like doodoo. 🤣
Hard to shoot it fast on SA mode like glock staple gun trigger mode. is that what you are refferring to?

Hard to shoot it fast on SA mode like glock staple gun trigger mode. is that what you are refferring to?

Kinda, but its the f***ing sear creep. That feeling when you are pressing the trigger and not quite aware of the break point, it plays mind games with me and causes me to slap the shit out of the trigger to run the gun at speed, etc. I'd rather have a gun with positive reset that breaks clean (and any glock with a 25 cent trigger job will usually do that).

Outside of that one wart and the slide mounted safety, 92's are fundamentally mechanically a decent gun, from a "shoots things, generally works, doesnt break" standpoint. They also have a stupid amount of recoiling mass which makes them difficult for newbs to limp wrist, as well.

Horrible sear creep in most of them.

Buy a 92X = problem dodged
Not an option. The two are either the 92FS or the S&W. Only reason I'm considering the 92 is cheap mags and it's dirt cheap for it's condition. Plus reputatiion.
Of those two, I would choose the USP9.
Nope!
Neither are very good guns imo. The beretta has a horrible DA and weird ergonomics that only fit people with creepily small hands. The M&P is a lousy copy of late 20th century tupperware technology. Buy a .40 glock instead.
.40 is ghey!

I know that you are one of those people that is not afraid to sell a gun, so whatever you get if you don't like it you will move it and find something else...

Now that being said it seems you have your mind set on the Baretta.

Would I carry it?

Nope

As a range toy?

Sure why not.

You know about the funky trigger break sear creep issue, and seem willing to accept it.

The safety on the slide?

Really not an issue on a range toy is it.

I'm not familiar with the Smith you mentioned, so I can't chime in on that option.

Any chance you can shoot the 92 before you buy it to evaluate the trigger?

In what strange scenario outside of a post apocalypse burglary are these the only two choices?
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

I love that line from General Jack D. Ripper.

Both are good choices, but the Beretta is a bonafide classic handgun. It's a unique design, plenty accurate, and reliable. I'm partial the Beretta since that's what I shot in the military, so I might be somewhat biased. :)

How about S&W 5906? All-metal double stack 9mm, but more compact and easier to carry then the 92FS
Started looking at a reasonably priced M&P 2.0 in .45acp. Liked them in the past. But with the price of .45 being double that of 9mm, and having lots of 9mm already, guess I won't switch calibers. So, started looking at the 9mm version. I like that they come with a manual safety. While looking, I stumbled upon the Beretta in excellent condition in the $400 price range. Had a compact years ago. Lots of fun - as long as you don't leave it in a lockbox in your car during the winter. Frostbite at 20 degrees hurts. LOL.
couldn't you find something better for the $?
Not for what I'd care for. Shot Glocks for years; love cheap mags, parts, and the ability to take it all apart. Not a fan of the triggers or texture.
I'd find a used $600 SR1911 that will retain its value better and be more fun to shoot.
Nope. Don't want a single action. Decided against switching to another, more expensive caliber.
In what strange scenario outside of a post apocalypse burglary are these the only two choices?
They are priced reasonably, with inexpensive mags, in a caliber that I have lots of ammo for. I'm happy with the M&P triggers (remember, I'm free state - no MA flocked-up trigger pulls).

The Beretta is a sexy italian classic. The metal M&P is like futuristic "tacti-cool". I haven't shot the new Smith, but the Beretta is worldwide proven and has tons of aftermarket support.

Of those, I'd probably get the 92FS

I wanted one for a long time... traded for one... shot it once... traded it away.

Is the Beretta really “Old School”? I remember when they were new. He’ll I remember seeing Army MPs wearing 1911s and .38s.

Bah. This poll is like “would you prefer to use a cheese grater to make a fleshlight or dildo?”

I guess I’d take the Beretta. But I’d rather have a choice of anything better than those two.

Back
Top Bottom