• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Done with Tulammo

SR556

Banned
Got a bad batch. Was firing my SKS and had several rounds hang fire on me, and as if that wasn't bad enough I had a weird problem I have never seen before. I would chamber a round, pull the trigger and it would not fire. When I would pull back the charging handle an empty case would fly out, and powder poured out of the chamber into the action. Ramming a cleaning rod blown the barrel confirmed that the bullet was stuck inside the chamber. Somehow the round had fallen apart inside the chamber and didn't fire.

Never buying this crappy ammo again. The money I save on it isn't worth the cost of a new barrel, gun, or a funeral.

That sucks, I've read on other forums that Tula customer service is very responsive and will cover the cost of a firearm in certain cases. But I would be spooked too. I would contact them, see if they will reimburse you or if it was a bad lot of ammo switch it out

Is this going to turn into one of those threads? If so, [popcorn]

Just curious to see if there is more. In all the years I've been shooting Russian steel cased ammo in 7.62x39 I've never had or seen a bad round of it yet in any brand or in any milsurp country of origin.
Supposedly Tula is from the same factories that other brands are produced at so its just a bit odd that there would be such a nose dive in quality.

By hang fires, do you mean there was actual noticeable delay from hammer strike to ignition? Or did they not fire on the first strike but fired on the second?

I've seen hangfires in British .303 ammo that were loaded with cordite where there was a 1/4 second delay from strike to ignition and some crappy 9mm ammo that had likely been wet at some point.

Did your ammo boxes show any sign of ever being wet?

Hopefully you take the ammo back for replacement and it might help to post a LOT # if you have one so others might be warned about it.

The crappiest brand of steel cased russian ammo is crappy? You don't say? [shocked]

Even brown/silver bear on average is way better consistency wise, although a lot of the pistol ammo is pathetically weak. I think a few years ago Jon Green had a batch of 9mm brown bear or something like that which didn't even make IDPA power floor in 9mm!

-Mike

Meh, I don't like Tula, but I'll shoot it in my SKS if I find it. Wolf is a little better IMHO, especially when you're shooting .223.

Golden Tiger is the only 7.62 x 39 that I bothered buying. I'd pick up Uly and some other stuff here and there which worked. Wolf is kinda overpriced now for russian ammo anyways, and it's like, at Wolf prices, you can get GT or something better anyways. Then again right now it might be "wolf or nothing" in a lot of cases.

-Mike

IIRC Tula is basically the same components as Wolf but manufactured at a different plant and thats why it has a different name. Ever since I've owned SKS and AK rifles I've read about so much different 7.62x39 ammo that its hard to keep track of info on production quality but from what I can remember thats the story on Tula.

I can say from my own experience that out of all the Russian ammo I've shot, I've had two problems with Tula. One was a batch of 7.62x54r that popped a few primers in my PSL and the other was a 7.62x39 round snuck into a box of 5.45x39. If I wasn't being careless when I was loading AK74 mags one night I would have noticed it. But like a dumbass I was tearing open boxes of 5.45x39 and loading mags while watching tv. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I showed up at a Holbrook shoot and had the 7.62x39 round jam into the chamber of one of my 74s.

On a related note... ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR ROUNDS WHEN LOADING MAGAZINES!
Just wanted to say that. [wink]

Golden Tiger is the only 7.62 x 39 that I bothered buying. I'd pick up Uly and some other stuff here and there which worked. Wolf is kinda overpriced now for russian ammo anyways, and it's like, at Wolf prices, you can get GT or something better anyways. Then again right now it might be "wolf or nothing" in a lot of cases.

-Mike

GT is the bees knees, too bad only 1 shop stocks it.

IIRC Tula is basically the same components as Wolf but manufactured at a different plant and thats why it has a different name. Ever since I've owned SKS and AK rifles I've read about so much different 7.62x39 ammo that its hard to keep track of info on production quality but from what I can remember thats the story on Tula.

I can say from my own experience that out of all the Russian ammo I've shot, I've had two problems with Tula. One was a batch of 7.62x54r that popped a few primers in my PSL and the other was a 7.62x39 round snuck into a box of 5.45x39. If I wasn't being careless when I was loading AK74 mags one night I would have noticed it. But like a dumbass I was tearing open boxes of 5.45x39 and loading mags while watching tv. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I showed up at a Holbrook shoot and had the 7.62x39 round jam into the chamber of one of my 74s.

This.

I think it was Ezekiel 25 17 or someone like that who found a round of 5.45 x 39 that somehow worked its way into a box of .223 Barnaul he had. Jammed his FS2000 up hardcore, because that was like shoving a carrot into the 5.56 chamber. I think he got it out eventually that day but it was a pain in the ass!

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

GT is the bees knees, too bad only 1 shop stocks it.

Before all this bullshit happened, Rileys, Collectors, and MFL had it. Years ago FS used to even sell it. I remembered it being $76 a case @ FS at one time. [crying]

-Mike

Just curious to see if there is more. In all the years I've been shooting Russian steel cased ammo in 7.62x39 I've never had or seen a bad round of it yet in any brand or in any milsurp country of origin.
Supposedly Tula is from the same factories that other brands are produced at so its just a bit odd that there would be such a nose dive in quality.

By hang fires, do you mean there was actual noticeable delay from hammer strike to ignition? Or did they not fire on the first strike but fired on the second?

I've seen hangfires in British .303 ammo that were loaded with cordite where there was a 1/4 second delay from strike to ignition and some crappy 9mm ammo that had likely been wet at some point.

Did your ammo boxes show any sign of ever being wet?

Hopefully you take the ammo back for replacement and it might help to post a LOT # if you have one so others might be warned about it.

By hang fire I mean I heard the hammer drop, and 1/2 - 1 second later the round would go off. Boxes never got wet that I can tell.

The hang fires don;t have me nearly as concerned as the rounds falling apart does.

I've got a couple thousand rounds of Tula 7.62x39 and I have easily shot over a thousand. Never had a single problem with it. I've also never had problems with Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, Wolf or Herter's. Just been lucky, I guess.

It sucks that you are having problems with it.

By hang fire I mean I heard the hammer drop, and 1/2 - 1 second later the round would go off. Boxes never got wet that I can tell.

The hang fires don;t have me nearly as concerned as the rounds falling apart does.

Please post a LOT # from one of the boxes if you have one so others know what to look out for.

A hangfire is a potentially dangerous condition.

I have shot a bunch of Tula never had any issues except a dirty gun. Wolf WPA is much better though it shoots tighter groups and is more consistent.

I'd buy a truck load of steel cased Tula ammo for my Wasr and M10 if I could. Never had a problem with it. The 9mm stuff is a different story, at least in my experience. Cycling can be problematic.

I'd buy a truck load of steel cased Tula ammo for my Wasr and M10 if I could. Never had a problem with it. The 9mm stuff is a different story, at least in my experience. Cycling can be problematic.

Is Tula 9mm under powered?

Is Tula 9mm under powered?

My Beretta 92fs doesn't like it very much, although I did replace the factory spring and put a stronger one in. It could also be the steel cases that's causing an issue too, although I'm not sure if this is necessarily true.

Back
Top Bottom