1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Donation Bins - WTF is Wrong with People?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Paul455, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Charging for trash bags became popular after prop 2.5 as it is a way to effectively increase taxes without that pesky vote thing. Ditto for school bus fees, activity fees, and other items they want to move off the tax roles to make more room for public union pensions and raises.

But, at least it is a one shot thing, and might be preferable to an increase every year backed by the threat of charging for trash disposal.

Mike Stanton likes this.

2. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

I usually have an issue with the virtue signalers who hold on to every scrap of crap for months and years and even decades on the off chance it might should be donated to one of those causes because it was still useful.

Second to those who signal by holding onto every box everything came in down to the blister pack on a $7.99 hair brush. In case they may need to return it 15 years later.

3. DTOM537

DTOM537 NES Member

4. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    More than once, we've had to chase people off the Club's property, using our dumpster.

Last week, at the place I work, a guy with a U-Haul backed up to the Cardboard Only dumpster, and started to fill it. I thought about taking a picture, and forwarding it to the building's management company, but since it was cardboard cartons and the truck would be there, shortly, to empty it, I said, "meh."

The Mgt. company has CCTV on the area, anyways.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  5. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

DD31587D-1A8C-4840-9ACD-F1F378B941BD.jpeg

Della Street, greencobra and Zappa like this.
  6. JoseyWales

JoseyWales

I've thrown away a refrigerator, dryer, and AC at different times at my town dump.

I see these times as an opportunity to beat back my town's anti-civil (gun) rights agenda.

I pay the $20 disposal fee using a personal check that has a picture an M14 on it.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  7. thorin

thorin

Fair enough. If someone's willing to take stuff you don't want for free then go for it. My complaint is that most of these donation boxes mislead people into thinking their donations will help the community, low income etc when in fact most of them are either a for profit business turning donated clothes into rags, or some sort of shady pseudo non profit or religion. Some bins are legit but just like any charity its worth checking in to before donating.

I guess I'm a little torqued off about the bins because for quite a while we had one of these scam groups located down the road from me and they talked lots of businesses into putting their green dumpsters up all over the place and they looked like sh!t and people dumped their crap all around the boxes, and they were part of a global scam: Institute for International Cooperation and Development - Wikipedia

Mike Stanton likes this.
  8. zboys

zboys NES Member

Another Big scam is the bicycle drop off days at churches, it happens weekly around the state with the appearance the bikes are going to needy kids in poor countries.
    There were several articles last year of the scam being pulled with names and groups involved.
    I still see them continuing the dropoffs despite the info revealed

9. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

I was having our kitchen remodeled and had a 20yd dumpster in my driveway. We went away for a couple of days and there was an old washing machine buried under construction debris. The builder tried billing me for the extra charge but i swore it had to be one of his guys. needless to say he ended up eating the charge.

10. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I was told by a Chelsea cop that the waste management companies that pick up the city trash are told to pick up everything no matter what because they know theres no way they could hold that population to any sort of rules for disposal of their trash. If it doesnt get picked up, they know it will pile up and/or end up in every parking lot/playground/empty lot/roadside in the city.

mibro and Mike Stanton like this.
  11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Ok. This thread can’t continue without. . . . .

Wun eighthunnert carzferkids. Wun eighthunnert carzforkids.

Now that you have that stuck in your head. Lol

12. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i'm guessing the people who handle that check for the town think it's a revolutionary war musket. might as well have mickey mouse checks, they'll notice those. lol

13. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Well, I guess you now know where to dispose of your extraneous stuff without fee.

xjma99 and headednorth like this.
  14. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

The "people who handle that check for the town" aren't people, they're machines. By definition they DGAF about anything other than the numbers.

xjma99 likes this.
  15. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

You sure showed them ;)

16. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

it's all good, they just gotta remember to take the doors off the refrigerators so the new illegal residents of the city don't think it's free public housing.

Della Street and Mike Stanton like this.
  17. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Lol, they already complain that the actual public housing isnt good enough, you think theyre going to live in a fridge?

As far as appliances go, back in the day when metal prices were higher you could leave them out on the curb and they would disappear sometimes within a few minutes. These days theyll sit there for a while, but someone will eventually take them.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  18. radioman

radioman NES Member

I have a 2 yard dumpster that I rent for $75 a month. Yes that is disgustingly expensive. I do a lot of larger woodworking and mechanic jobs. If I throw one brake pad into my town trash collection they won’t touch it. Any type of wood, shock absorber, car part of any kind, if they see something they don’t like they’ll leave everything. So I ended up just getting the dumpster so I can get rid of stuff without going through a huge mess. So I understand why some people are frustrated that they can’t get rid of their junk.

Several years ago my town started charging a $50 disposal fee for a mattress and box spring. Then mattress started showing up all over my small town as we have all kinds of lonely wooded back roads. The kids turned it into a thing where they would take a bottle of lighter fluid and light these mattresses on fire, big joke. Many times the FD had to respond to several mattresses stacked up in the middle of the road in a bonfire. Needless to say they reduce the price to 20 bucks and the problem went away.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  19. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Thats outrageous. Its $25 in Chelsea iirc and theyre still all over the place.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  20. JoseyWales

JoseyWales

They watch you like a hawk throwing away this stuff. If they see you leaving a refrigerator, AC , etc, they will walk over or drive over, and ASK you to pay up. Oh and they have license plate cameras on entrance to the dump.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  21. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Pretty much a standard for all charities.
    If 10% actually gets used on the needy thats huge!

Mike Stanton likes this.
  22. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Town dump jacked prices a few years ago, now we have 2 large bins curbside for private pick up all over town.
    I figured between the dump fee and the time to go to the dump the extra cost for pick up is a wash.
    Getting to the dump can be a pita. Hit the traffic cycle wrong and your 40min round trip for a 5 mile drive!

Mike Stanton likes this.
  23. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

For $75/no, if I had the room, I’d consider it. I probably pay $24 to throw now.

24. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Fair Enough

25. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Once again THE RULES only apply to us.

Dennis in MA and headednorth like this.
  26. mibro

mibro NES Member

I doubt they're making much money. The cost of moving and sorting other people's junk will see to that. And no offense but there aren't too many kids waiting eagerly for a shot at grandpa's old suit. :)

Mike Stanton likes this.
  27. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

28. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

29. tuna

tuna NES Member

What about bags of poop? Did we ever figure out if it’s ok to toss a bag of dog doodoo into a trash can or dumpstervthat was about to get picked up?

30. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

That was my subtle sarcastic point. LOL. I thought everyone on this board knew that by now.

FWIW, the dude never mislead anyone. Cars. For kids. That was all he said. If people are that dumb to just donate then. . . . . oh well.

mibro likes this.