Texas Domestic Shooting/Teal Shirt Guy/Graphic

I hear this kind of sentiment on the news and read it on NES so, so frequently. There are more examples of the bystander effect than there are of the opposite.

Face it: people are unhelpful a-holes more often than not. Thus has it ever been. I'm never surprised when people don't help other people.
Yeah, but maybe we're too hard on average people.... You can be trained to act and assist.. It's not typically human nature. I bet that most people who intervene have some sort of training or life experience where they're expected to act and they do even in situations that don't exactly match their skill set.
I've intervened a half dozen times on the outside because no one else did, but you'd rather have @Dench and people like him instead because outside is their skill set.

Yeah, but maybe we're too hard on average people.... You can be trained to act and assist.. It's not typically human nature. I bet that most people who intervene have some sort of training or life experience where they're expected to act and they do even in situations that don't exactly match their skill set.
I've intervened a half dozen times on the outside because no one else did, but you'd rather have @Dench and people like him instead because outside is their skill set.

The whole point of the study of social psychology, from Milgram to Darley and Latane, is that you cannot depend on peoples' innate goodness to prevent them from harming others, nor to help those in trouble. The findings are very clear; they're often described as "controversial" not because the results are untrue (you see them repeated every damn day), but because the studies themselves were problematic. And because people simply don't want to believe them.

Training obviously impacts the tendency to help. Unless, apparently, you're a paramedic shooting on a range with @Dench a few weeks back.

Training obviously impacts the tendency to help. Unless, apparently, you're a paramedic shooting on a range with @Dench a few weeks back.
It wasnt a total shock that they didn't want to help. The majority of firefighters hate EMS. It's just a minority of them who will admit it publicly.

I hate EMS, but I don't hate it enough to refuse helping someone in need. I just dont want to be sent to people in need of medical care as part of my job. I'm only interested in the fire side of it, and since that's gone the way of the dinosaur I have no real options.

Chest bumping will get you a head butt followed by the knock out uppercut

my forehead, your nose [rofl]

I am NOT justifying the shooters actions and I expect to get flamed for this post, but having dealt with my wife's psycho ex for a decade, I actually have some sympathy for the shooter.... Maybe PTSD on my part, not sure... It's just a visceral reaction. Our struggles ended suddenly when her ex died... Of his own stupidity.
I have sympathy for the shooter as well. But legally speaking, there was NO threat he needed the gun for. He walked away, grabbed gun, came back. Fired round into the ground, so probably a 'discharge close to domicile' or some such bs gun charge as well.

The whole point of the study of social psychology, from Milgram to Darley and Latane, is that you cannot depend on peoples' innate goodness to prevent them from harming others, nor to help those in trouble. The findings are very clear; they're often described as "controversial" not because the results are untrue (you see them repeated every damn day), but because the studies themselves were problematic. And because people simply don't want to believe them.

Yeah, agree with all you said.
#Dench's experience is particularly infuriating for obvious reasons. ( But not surprising to me...The cynicism and burnout in the overlapping worlds of LE. EMS and ER is brutal.)

What's wild is the lack of response from anyone. I get that people were probably stunned, but they acted like they see this everywhere week.

Yep. I almost expected to hear from Chad's girlfriend recording in the pickup truck: "Now look what you've done..."

this is all by design. The establishment needed more violence so they created lockdowns.

and some of you guys watch too many movies. Both of these men are asswipe fools, but there was no reason to shoot the man in teal shirt. male insecurity-macho bullshit found permanent solution for temporary problem. The man did not appear to be imminently threatening his family. just cuz somebody is on your property isn’t carte Blanche to murder them. And even if it were legally justified, what kind of clown wants to take a life under such circumstances. straight dum.

Last edited:
Just goes to show you that warning shots, (1 shot at dead guy's feet @ 1:22) in some cases, do nothing to stop a committed attacker...
I didn't really see an "attack " just a pissed off dad wanted to see his son.......at 3:15 damn it, no later, 3:15
If this is a good shoot, I'm moving to TX, I cant stand these solar salesmen coming to my door!

I didn't really see an "attack " just a pissed off dad wanted to see his son.......at 3:15 damn it, no later, 3:15
If this is a good shoot, I'm moving to TX, I cant stand these solar salesmen coming to my door!
Better to be smart and alive... then pissed off and dead.

Guy was a loose cannon. My guess is that this had nothing to do with his son, and everything to do with who his ex-wife was screwing. Some guys can't/won't let go...

It was an "ok" shoot. Not a Good shoot or a Great shoot. Just "ok"...

P.S. Texas would be nice...

Oh, as a native Texan, I know better. Everything is bigger and dumber in Texas. Basically Florida with a drawl.
Poor kids didn’t have a single adult to look up to out of the 4 in the damn video. Two hot heads (one an adulterer), and two lackadaisical ladies.
When did Mass outlaw trailer parks? I bet this kind of stuff happens all over, all the time. I'm astounded that one of them is a judge.

Then you should know better.
Look, as much as people like to think about Texas as a 'shoot first' state, that's just you being a dumb yankee.

Simple fact, if anyone follows this, I bet the shooter claims 'trespassing', prosecutor shows video that proves they could have all just walked into the trailer/mobile home and locked the door. Especially if the mother was withholding the child against court ordered visitation.

As I said, I feel for the shooter, but what he did was a pussy move.

Kyle sure seemed like he was itching to shoot Chad.

All this white on white violence, maybe if they had stronger father figures in their lives they wouldn't resort to violence.

Feel bad for the kid. It's not his fault.

Better to be smart and alive... then pissed off and dead.

Guy was a loose cannon. My guess is that this had nothing to do with his son, and everything to do with who his ex-wife was screwing. Some guys can't/won't let go...

It was an "ok" shoot. Not a Good shoot or a Great shoot. Just "ok"...

P.S. Texas would be nice...
Replying in particular to your middle paragraph... That was exactly my wife's ex .. The kids were possessions and weapons in his never ending war on her.

My wife had other relationships between him and me. She will go to the end of the earth for me, give me whatever I want, kill or die for me ...Why? Because I am the only guy, the only person, ever in her entire life, that proved that I will do the same for her.

Stupidity abounded in that video, but it's really hard to figure out who, if anyone, was the true villain.

I feel bad for the people who have to deal with the fallout from these two morons. That's who I feel bad for.

In all honesty I hate EMS and I don't think any fire departments should do it. EMS has ruined the fire service. I will not be going to the private academy. 2 reasons. 1, I hate EMS and never want to do a single medical call again (good luck with that, I've done two since I moved down here simply being in the right [wrong?] place at the right time.), and, most importantly, I can't even f***ing apply to a fire department till I get both the fake fire academy refresher done and a new EMT certification that has FL written on it instead of MA.

If a local department said they'd hire me with the conditions that I had X time to get Z certifications I'd do it. But there's no chance I'd do all that shit without a job lined up. FL does it backwards from MA. In MA you cant even go to the academy till after you're hired. You get paid to go to the academy. In FL, you have to dish out thousands of dollars to go to an academy and then after that go looking for a department. I couldnt even afford the schools at this time, either. I'd have to borrow money to do them. They are not cheap.

FL is a licensing nightmare for everything. This state gets a lot right, but it took a shit in it's pants for it's comically complicated certification/licensing schemes. Everything here needs a f***ing FL only license.
I don't get you..My entire country is fire/ems it's great. Sure some days I wish I didn't have to do ems but it's not about me, or you, it's about the product to the tax payer. It is a job!! And JFC take the 2 freekin week course and national emt test and move on with it brother!

Back
Top Bottom