• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DOJ, Second Amendment Foundation Reach Settlement In Defense Distributed Lawsuit

The real problem is going to be what gets rolled up into this new bill that Limsky is going to submit and rush through the process. Baker will probably be signing new gun laws this time next week.

Bob

The real problem is going to be what gets rolled up into this new bill that Limsky is going to submit and rush through the process. Baker will probably be signing new gun laws this time next week.

Bob

Exactly what I'm afraid of as well. With all the hand wringing going on over this silly shit, they're going to feel like they must "do something" for "the children."

So far it looks like you are at least somewhat correct regarding #1:
Mass. lawmaker moving to regulate 3D-printed firearms

"The federal government is trying to allow access to online plans that will allow anyone to anonymously build their own downloadable, untraceable and undetectable gun," Healey said in a statement. "This is an imminent threat to public safety and violates the law. We have a responsibility to ensure that these files are not made easily available to the public."

So many lies in one paragraph.

"The federal government is trying to allow access to online plans"

The Federal Government is desperately trying to prevent that, despite any action it takes to that end is unconstitutional.​

"build their own downloadable, untraceable and undetectable gun"

Obvious nit pick, gun aren't downloadable, only the plans to them.

It is CLEARLY legal own and build firearms with no serial number.

It already isn't legal to make an undetectable gun, so nothing further need be done on that score.​

"This is an imminent threat to public safety"

Given the staggering numbers of deaths on a daily basis, caused by these 3d printed or 80% guns, I guess I can see where they could be considered an imminent threat to public safety. How many hours has it been since the last time such a weapon was used to murder an innocent child in Mass?​

"This ... violates the law"

Got a cite for that, b***h? What law is broken by designing or acquiring a firearm design, then building it in compliance with the law?​

This moron is the Attorney General? Her law degree from the back of a matchbook or something?

"We have a responsibility to ensure that these files are not made easily available to the public"

Why? Where in the AG "Charter" does it state that the AG has a responsibility to suppress mechanical drawings in the public domain?

She truly is stupid.

Our side can add-in stuff also. This works both ways. Don't forget that. Our side (I guess that is GOAL) needs to get on top of that now, though.

Okay, I have the Liberator v1.1 and a bunch of others downloaded. I have never used a 3D printer before (and I'm not sure where I could access one right now), but I gotta laugh here.... looks like 3 different types of files STL, STEP, and SLDPRT whatever they are. Each has 15 to 17 different files needed to print out the parts to the gun. The anti's actually think a typical street thug who can't legally get a manufactured gun, is going to make sense out of this, successfully print them all and assemble it? LOL. Silly Gladys Kravitz's.

C:\Downloads\Liberator_v1.1\STL>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 6E7E-8EAC

Directory of C:\Downloads\Liberator_v1.1\STL

07/31/2018 05:56 PM <DIR> .
07/31/2018 05:56 PM <DIR> ..
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 334,184 380_barrel_(threaded).STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 684 bottom_cover.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 115,484 firing_pin_bushing.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 421,584 frame_(no_sn).STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 7,084 frame_pins_(x3).STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 179,584 GripRemodeled.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 7,084 grip_pin.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 95,884 hammer.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 179,584 hammer_body.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 7,084 hammer_pin.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 76,684 Spring.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 7,084 spring_connecting_rod.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 16,084 spring_connecting_rod_bushing.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 64,784 trigger.STL
07/31/2018 05:56 PM 83,684 trigger_spring.STL
15 File(s) 1,596,560 bytes
2 Dir(s) 820,832,141,312 bytes free

Like I said in another thread, these files are more like a recipe with no process instructions. Depending on what you do with the information, you end up with anything from a soggy mess to pancakes, muffins, cake, etc.

Without knowing what you are doing you either end up with lump of plastic that looks like a gun but does nothing (most of the STL files), parts that don't fit or don't survive the first shot (everything if you don't know how to run a printer and about half of the designs even if you do), or a design that is at least as risky to the operator as it is to whatever is in front of it. If you know what you are doing and can modify where needed and know when to stop screwing around with the plastic and move to metal, the files can be a great resource.... but these are the same people who arguably don't need the files either.

If you think 3D printing is just "right-click, print" and a gun falls off the printer, you are very mistaken. Simple things like Yoda heads (I don't know why they are a thing) can take several tries to get right. Parts that have to fit each other are even worse. Dimensional accuracy depends on your physical machine plus about a dozen or so settings when preparing the file for printing.

All this hand wringing is literally over a bunch of shapes which is all those STL files are.

They are worried that bad people might find a bunch of shapes on the internet and make something they don't understand.

Bob

That was my first thought as well, he's not going to be satisfied with just banning the manufacture of 3D printed guns.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if any legislation also includes some language that goes after 80% receivers as well.

There's an informal House session scheduled for August 2'nd. He'll probably have something up his sleeve and
piss and moan about about 'plastic guns' at that gathering.

Session Details - Informal House Session

Bob

I saw something on the news this morning that the bill will make all home built guns illegal unless you're an ffl. I assume if this passes, we can't build p80 glocks anymore.

So many lies in one paragraph.

"The federal government is trying to allow access to online plans"

The Federal Government is desperately trying to prevent that, despite any action it takes to that end is unconstitutional.​

"build their own downloadable, untraceable and undetectable gun"

Obvious nit pick, gun aren't downloadable, only the plans to them.

It is CLEARLY legal own and build firearms with no serial number.

It already isn't legal to make an undetectable gun, so nothing further need be done on that score.​

"This is an imminent threat to public safety"

Given the staggering numbers of deaths on a daily basis, caused by these 3d printed or 80% guns, I guess I can see where they could be considered an imminent threat to public safety. How many hours has it been since the last time such a weapon was used to murder an innocent child in Mass?​

"This ... violates the law"

Got a cite for that, b***h? What law is broken by designing or acquiring a firearm design, then building it in compliance with the law?​

This moron is the Attorney General? Her law degree from the back of a matchbook or something?

"We have a responsibility to ensure that these files are not made easily available to the public"

Why? Where in the AG "Charter" does it state that the AG has a responsibility to suppress mechanical drawings in the public domain?

She truly is stupid.

"The federal government is trying to allow access to online plans that will allow anyone to anonymously build their own downloadable, untraceable and undetectable gun," Healey said in a statement. "This is an imminent threat to public safety and violates the law. We have a responsibility to ensure that these files are not made easily available to the public."

21aqbc.jpg

She's a f***ing lunatic.

Our side can add-in stuff also. This works both ways. Don't forget that. Our side (I guess that is GOAL) needs to get on top of that now, though.

Are you forgetting the bumpstock bill and the ERPO bills? How much were we able to add? How much of that got tossed out? They give no f***s about us anymore.

BOSTON - Saying Congress “doesn’t act in this area,” a state representative from Natick is drafting legislation on Beacon Hill to address 3D-printed firearms, which Attorney General Maura Healey described Monday as “an imminent threat to public safety.”

“We’re drafting a bill right now,” Rep. David Linsky told the News Service. “We’re reviewing the existing laws in Massachusetts and we expect we’ll get something ready for filing in a few days.”

Healey on Monday joined a multi-state lawsuit that her office says is designed to block a settlement and federal rule changes enabling the company Defense Distributed to post files online allowing individuals to make guns using 3D printers.

In a letter, Healey and her counterparts from 20 other states also called on U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to withdraw from the settlement.

“The federal government is trying to allow access to online plans that will allow anyone to anonymously build their own downloadable, untraceable and undetectable gun,” Healey said in a statement. “This is an imminent threat to public safety and violates the law. We have a responsibility to ensure that these files are not made easily available to the public.”

President Donald Trump tweeted about the topic Tuesday morning. “I am looking into 3-D Plastic Guns being sold to the public. Already spoke to NRA, doesn’t seem to make much sense!”

Linsky said he supports the lawsuit, in which the attorneys general are seeking a nationwide injunction requiring the federal government to refrain from making rule changes that allow 3D-printed weapons to be available online. The complaint against the U.S. Department of State was filed in Washington.

“We’ve got a huge problem here,” said Linsky, whose Fifth Middlesex District includes Natick, Sherborn and Precincts 2 and 3 in Millis. “People have already begun downloading the plans for firearms to be made through a 3D printer. We already know what’s going on. And the upcoming release in the federal settlement will only exacerbate this problem.”

Linsky outlined three elements of his bill. He said it would likely require a person to have a state license in addition to a federal license to manufacture firearms, ensure that state firearm laws cover 3D weapons, and make sure a serial number system is in place for all firearms “whether they’re manufactured in a factory and made out metal, or whether they’re manufactured out of plastic and made in a 3D printer in your own home.”

“We need to make sure there is a way to trace every firearm no matter how or why or where it’s manufactured,” Linsky said.

State Rep. Linsky crafting bill to address 3D-printed firearms

Like I said in another thread, these files are more like a recipe with no process instructions. Depending on what you do with the information, you end up with anything from a soggy mess to pancakes, muffins, cake, etc.

Without knowing what you are doing you either end up with lump of plastic that looks like a gun but does nothing (most of the STL files), parts that don't fit or don't survive the first shot (everything if you don't know how to run a printer and about half of the designs even if you do), or a design that is at least as risky to the operator as it is to whatever is in front of it. If you know what you are doing and can modify where needed and know when to stop screwing around with the plastic and move to metal, the files can be a great resource.... but these are the same people who arguably don't need the files either.

If you think 3D printing is just "right-click, print" and a gun falls off the printer, you are very mistaken. Simple things like Yoda heads (I don't know why they are a thing) can take several tries to get right. Parts that have to fit each other are even worse. Dimensional accuracy depends on your physical machine plus about a dozen or so settings when preparing the file for printing.

All this hand wringing is literally over a bunch of shapes which is all those STL files are.

They are worried that bad people might find a bunch of shapes on the internet and make something they don't understand.

Unless the files have been updated since I acquired them, the scale is wrong, too. If you printed them without applying a metric conversion, the gun would be too small even for @minininjer to shoot. I did print a 2mm version for her to try out but I couldn't find any ammo for it.

If memory serves, the design is spec'ed for a 9mm, but 9mm wouldn't chamber even with the scaling. I think I wound up fitting .32 rf. That's a powerful enough round to give the target a real good scratch on their arm.

21aqbc.jpg

She's a f***ing lunatic.

Are you forgetting the bumpstock bill and the ERPO bills? How much were we able to add? How much of that got tossed out? They give no f***s about us anymore.

well paid lunatic, like many others. If you consider the power and compensation, you got to consider that it's all a willful act. Lots of money to be made here, lots of power to grab.

From defcad.com?

Just go to the pirate Bay and type in "defdist". Really easy. Unfortunately, that is all that is easy. I have no idea where to get access to a 3D printer and the correct kind of plastic that won't explode on the first use, or what to do with the printer . And, I consider myself very geeky.... I should be able to figure this out. But it is effing hard. I could much more readily just make a zip gun from Home Depot stuff, and the end result would be better.

Now is the time we need to get some well-spoken people in front of the press for interviews explaining how wrong all these people are. This needs to be on the local news channels, the local papers, and ESPECIALLY the Associated Press, who then pick it up and redistribute it. In other words, our side needs more exposure, and needs to work it. Press releases need to be sent or better yet, hand delivered. We need to get any representatives who support us to step forward and denounce this rubbish for what it is.

The Chair is Against the Wall, John has a Long Mustache , or the Horse has left the barn and now they are closing the door
The bluebird flies south for the winter.

Much attention to printed guns; none to 80% lowers or shovels.

Assuming that it goes through the process like it should.

There is little doubt in my mind that it will be rammed through as emergency legislation and take a week or less before it is on Bakers desk.

Bob

Well, if it is "emergency" legislation, we need to get the "Katrina language" back in it, pronto.

Back
Top Bottom