DOJ, Second Amendment Foundation Reach Settlement In Defense Distributed Lawsuit

JimO

NES Member
"Under terms of the settlement, the government has agreed to waive its prior restraint against the plaintiffs, allowing them to freely publish the 3-D files and other information at issue. The government has also agreed to pay a significant portion of the plaintiffs’ attorney’s fees, and to return $10,000 in State Department registration dues paid by Defense Distributed as a result of the prior restraint.

Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

Hope this isn't a dupe, but WOW just WOW. Wonder how it will affect the Healey crap.

Sorry:
Link to press release.

Last edited:
How's that? That's the opposite argument that's been used, right? Common use vs. military?

Correct. They are directly contradictory, pretty much proving that all the arguments on what 'type' of arms are protected and aren't are bogus on their face. The answer is very clear. It's all of them.

Correct. They are directly contradictory, pretty much proving that all the arguments on what 'type' of arms are protected and aren't are bogus on their face. The answer is very clear. It's all of them.
Yeap.

This deal: "The government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

+

Miller: "We construe the amendment as having relation to military service... "

=

Inversion ****ers. It's all political.

"Under terms of the settlement, the government has agreed to waive its prior restraint against the plaintiffs, allowing them to freely publish the 3-D files and other information at issue. The government has also agreed to pay a significant portion of the plaintiffs’ attorney’s fees, and to return $10,000 in State Department registration dues paid by Defense Distributed as a result of the prior restraint.

Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

Hope this isn't a dupe, but WOW just WOW. Wonder how it will affect the Healey crap.

Sorry:
Link to press release.

Wow, that last line sounds like a nice precedent. I don't know how any of that works but wow.

Is this settlement awesome? Absolutely. It means that gun control is in fact dying as now the plans to build any small arm will not only be freely available on the Internet, they will soon become ubiquitous.

That said, we need to be realistic here. There is no precedent set here. This was not a SCOTUS decision. It was a settlement. Nothing more. Will the government look stupid in the future if they decide to change policy, yes, but they still have the power to change policy.

Further, the DOJ is NOT in any way "Pro-gun." Trump has NOT drained the swamp contrary to republicans beliefs. In fact the DOJ is solidly antigun.

From Alan Gura:

"This administration maintained the Obama DOJ's cert petition in Binderup (denied 7-2), and has consistently opposed all other as-applied Second Amendment challenges, including Kanter (they won, Kanter appealed), Hatfield (they lost and just appealed), Medina (they won and Medina, repped by me on appeal, appealed, argument 9/11), and Reyes(being litigated now...)," Gura says in an email today. "They have also continued defending the appeal in Mance[regarding gun purchases across state lines]—they had over a year to change their mind, see the light, and admit that the district court was right, but they stuck to their appeal which unfortunately they won, and are defending against the currently-pending en banc petition. There are other cases they defend, some of course less meritorious, but any notion that Trump is pro-gun and having DOJ roll over would be fantasy."

The more likely factor behind the settlement, Gura believes, is that the government "realized that not a single 5th Circuit judge offered that they were likely to succeed on the merits. To the contrary, the centerpiece of their victory was that they could somehow avoid the merits. When they could avoid the merits no longer, suddenly the national security threat faded away."

The Goverment Will Allow Cody Wilson's Defense Distributed to Distribute Gun-Making Software

Yeap.

This deal: "The government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

+

Miller: "We construe the amendment as having relation to military service... "

=

Inversion ****ers. It's all political.

Miller was originally ajudicated in Miller's favor but having not been present for the appeal, the court reversed its decision.
The Miller case was originally ajudicated correctly as the case itself being based on "military" use was a sham to begin with.

"THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". It doesnt specify any specific type/types of arms......it covers ALL ARMS, NO MATTER THE CALIBER OR MECHANISM IT ENTAILS FOR OPERATION. GOVERNMENT DOESN'T WANT TO (REFUSES) TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE PLACED AT ANY DISADVANTAGE IN THE EXERCISE OF THEIR TYRANNY BY AN EQUALLY OR SUPERIORLY ARMED PUBLIC (the way the founders intended that it always be).

That is why we see politicians peotected by echelon after echelon of armed security(bogus alphabet soup agencies) who do not work to protect the average citizen, but who work soley to protect politicians and their families. Can you or I get secret service protection? No, but just about every swinging dick in DC can, and WE pay for it.

Last edited:
Miller was originally ajudicated in Miller's favor but having not been present for the appeal, the court reversed its decision.
The Miller case was originally ajudicated correctly as the case itself being based on "military" use was a sham to begin with.

"THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". It doesnt specify any specific type/types of arms......it covers ALL ARMS, NO MATTER THE CALIBER OR MECHANISM IT ENTAILS FOR OPERATION. GOVERNMENT DOESN'T WANT TO (REFUSES) TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE PLACED AT ANY DISADVANTAGE IN THE EXERCISE OF THEIR TYRANNY BY AN EQUALLY OR SUPERIORLY ARMED PUBLIC (the way the founders intended that it always be).

That is why we see politicians peotected by echelon after echelon of armed security(bogus alphabet soup agencies) who do not work to protect the average citizen, but who work soley to protect politicians and their families. Can you or I get secret service protection? No, but just about every swinging dick in DC can, and WE pay for it.

QFMFT

and to return $10,000 in State Department registration dues paid by Defense Distributed

The person who signed off on this legal action should be personally responsible to pay Defense Distributed the same "interest and penalties" we would have to pay them if we failed to give them $10k when they felt it was owed to them.

A Landmark Legal Shift Opens Pandora’s Box for DIY Guns

Now Wilson is making up for lost time. Later this month, he and the nonprofit he founded, Defense Distributed, are relaunching their website Defcad.com as a repository of firearm blueprints they've been privately creating and collecting, from the original one-shot 3-D-printable pistol he fired in 2013 to AR-15 frames and more exotic DIY semi-automatic weapons. The relaunched site will be open to user contributions, too; Wilson hopes it will soon serve as a searchable, user-generated database of practically any firearm imaginable.

Turning physical guns into digital files, instead of vice-versa, is a new trick for Defense Distributed. While Wilson's organization first gained notoriety for its invention of the first 3-D printable gun, what it called the Liberator, it has since largely moved past 3-D printing. Most of the company's operations are now focused on its core business: making and selling a consumer-grade computer-controlled milling machine known as the Ghost Gunner, designed to allow its owner to carve gun parts out of far more durable aluminum. In the largest room of Defense Distributed's headquarters, half a dozen millennial staffers with beards and close-cropped hair—all resembling Cody Wilson, in other words—are busy building those mills in an assembly line, each machine capable of skirting all federal gun control to churn out untraceable metal glocks and semiautomatic rifles en masse.
Cody-Wilson-11w.jpg
Cody-Wilson-10w.jpg

Last edited:
Goddamn right! I want my 105mm howitzer!

I want my big 8 inch

id_m110_m114_700.jpg

Next up: The DoJ goes back to Miller to say it's only "inherently military" arms that are protected by the 2nd Amendment.

Full-auto for EVERYONE!!!!!!! LOL

Don't worry. Maura will make it all illegal in a heartbeat. Because if you make it double-secret illegal, no one will make one and it'll save countless (ie: you can't count to zero) child-lives.

In an act of desperation, Brady, Everytown, and Giffords have filed a joint motion to intervene and are seeking a TRO preventing DD from posting gun plans on the internet. I'll post the docs when available on RECAP.

[rofl]

Because gang-bangers, gunslingers and other criminals are frantically downloading the plans to print plastic guns.

Idiots and liars.

The cat's well out of the proverbial bag.
The plans have been posted, been downloaded multiple times, been shared.
That ship sailed.

If these a**h***s would face reality - I might be willing to have a conversation with them. But they don't - and I'm past that point.

I'm past the point where I'm willing to have a conversation with anyone who says "reasonable gun laws" or "common sense gun laws". We have plenty of laws and little enforcement.

I just tried to order a stock for one of my Ruger 10/22's - a .22 caliber target rifle and it's illegal in CT. Yeah - that's a dangerous assault stock. Fck you and your common sense laws.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom