• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DOJ, Second Amendment Foundation Reach Settlement In Defense Distributed Lawsuit

Do I hear an echo? Lol.;)

So I have this strong gut feeling that this whole mess is going to end up in the Supreem Court. I might be thinking wishfully, I just can't shake it.

There will be collateral damage:

1. Linsky will finally get a gun bill of his passed.
2. Finishing 80% lowers will be a thing of the past
3. Owners of existing homemade guns may be required to serialize them
You forgot more people who consider themselves law abiding will determine the government is passing immoral laws and will just decide to do what they want.

3-D Printed Gun Plans Must Stay Off the Internet for Now, a Judge Rules
In granting a preliminary injunction, Judge Robert S. Lasnik of United States District Court in Seattle wrote that Mr. Wilson’s First Amendment rights “are dwarfed by the irreparable harms the states are likely to suffer if the existing restrictions are withdrawn and that, overall, the public interest strongly supports maintaining the status quo through the pendency of this litigation.”
Judge blocks Texas company from putting plans to make 3D guns online
"It is the untraceable and undetectable nature of these small firearms that poses a unique danger," Lasnik said. "Promising to detect the undetectable while at the same time removing a significant regulatory hurdle to the proliferation of these weapons — both domestically and internationally — rings hollow and in no way ameliorates, much less avoids, the harms that are likely to befall the states if an injunction is not issued."
A lawyer with the U.S. Justice Department had argued against the injunction, saying possessing 3D plastic guns is already against the law, and the federal government is committed to enforcing that law.
"While the court appreciates the earnestness with which this commitment was made at oral argument, it is of small comfort to know that, once an undetectable firearm has been used to kill a citizen of Delaware or Rhode Island or Vermont, the federal government will seek to prosecute a weapons charge in federal court while the state pursues a murder conviction in state court," Lasnik said.
https://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/95_OrderGrantingMotionPI.pdf

"Undectectable" firearms could conceivably be brought into courtrooms, and put certain people at risk, which is likely the main motivation to prevent their existence.

Not they're not illegal. You can make your own gun and no serial number is required
Separate comments, I think. He seems to be referring to the undetectable firearms act that says if it's invisible to metal detectors and xray, it's verboten. Also, a gun that's simply printed is already detectable, so the hubbub is moot.

Not they're not illegal. You can make your own gun from any materials your want and no serial number is required. So undetectable and "unregistered'

An undetectable gun is not Constitutionally illegal. It is against a law (undetectable blah blah blah act of 1988) to make a gun that is undetectable. Yes, you can make it of any materials you like, so long as the end result is detectable as defined by that (idiotic) law.

BUT NONE OF THE PLANS IN QUESTION PRODUCE AN UNDETECTABLE GUN.

Yes, but aren't undetectable guns already illegal?

And in exactly what way is a 3d printed gun undetectable anyhow?

Well if you did somehow manage to print one that could not be detected by a metal detector, and you snuck it into a court room, you'd then have a gun with no ammo in it. So, it wouldn't be much of a threat unless the plan was to bludgeon to death someone with the plastic gun, and that seems rather ineffective to me... might as well make a run for the judge's gavel and start bashing people with that. And, I'm pretty sure those cops or whatever they are standing guard would respond somehow, so good luck with that.

So one's speech is acceptable only in certain mediums. Imagine if a judge said posters on DU cannot post speech there but can only email it. The left would go ape.

Regulation under the AECA means that the files cannot be uploaded to the internet, but they can be emailed, mailed, securely transmitted, or otherwise published within the United States.

Also, I want to point out how retarded the judge is. "uploaded to the internet" What idiot even uses such language to describe this? How old is this judge?

so did anyone actually looked into printing one of these? I found one file is simply f***ed up, it's not in any recognizable scale. The other problem is parts aren't well design to be printed with common printers, i.e. having long overhangs or spans in midair.

This is a like a f***ing theater, one dude wants to publish shitty files for something that's totally useless and a judge who wants to ban to publish useless files. It's like a gay dude telling lesbo woman that he wants to have sex with her and the woman screaming for help. Lots of noise about non-issue.

An undetectable gun is not Constitutionally illegal. It is against a law (undetectable blah blah blah act of 1988) to make a gun that is undetectable. Yes, you can make it of any materials you like, so long as the end result is detectable as defined by that (idiotic) law.

BUT NONE OF THE PLANS IN QUESTION PRODUCE AN UNDETECTABLE GUN.

That law is meaningless because everything is detectable.

That law is meaningless because everything is detectable.

Yes, but say you found a way to make a gun from wood. It would be illegal because a metal detector could not detect it (assuming it were unloaded or maybe used those ceramic casting)

I know it's absurd. And what's infuriating is, so do they. Our legislators are either lying to our faces or are literally too stupid to do their jobs.

... say you found a way to make a gun from wood. It would be illegal because a metal detector could not detect it (assuming it were unloaded or maybe used those ceramic casting)

Daniel Boone's brother Squire made a cannon out of an ironwood log that was laying around the blacksmith shop during the Siege of Boonesborough in 1778.

Last edited:
so did anyone actually looked into printing one of these? I found one file is simply f***ed up, it's not in any recognizable scale. The other problem is parts aren't well design to be printed with common printers, i.e. having long overhangs or spans in midair.

This is a like a f***ing theater, one dude wants to publish shitty files for something that's totally useless and a judge who wants to ban to publish useless files. It's like a gay dude telling lesbo woman that he wants to have sex with her and the woman screaming for help. Lots of noise about non-issue.

I got as far as downloading them. Then I realized I would need the right printer and the right plastic. I am not about to spend thousands on my own for a printer that will likely fail to produce a usable gun. And I am sure those cute printers at Staples and other stores won't be sufficient. And those maker spaces are going to say no gun parts allowed and even if they were, I would have to tie up the printer for days.

And if I did find a printer then I have to figure out stuff you mentioned like scale being all messed up. I have no idea about any of that stuff, but it sounds like I would be accidentally printing bogus parts and will have to keep retrying before I figure out what is going on. And, 15 files for the Liberator?

Nah. If I rally want a crap gun I make myself, I'll go to HD and get a threaded pipe, end cap, a piece of wood, a couple of hose clamps and a rubber band. I just have to figure out how to hold the end cap steady so I can drill a decent hole in it.... Probably need a drill press..... Sounds like a good excuse for a new toy.

Linsky is using this to ban home made guns (80% lowers etc).

Bob

From my small amount of exposure to 3d printing, This process is has many loosely controlled variables. Some of the base plates are heated so as to not have the plastic solidify too quickly. But one of the biggest problems they have is if you are attempting to print any thing that has any kind of vertical height, starting from ex: 1/2 inch or greater, it starts to slump , lean over, sag down , as it gets higher. It is not as easy as , hey lets just make any thing we want to.

Sounds like the antis are using this 3d stuff for a back door ban.

So one's speech is acceptable only in certain mediums. Imagine if a judge said posters on DU cannot post speech there but can only email it. The left would go ape.

Also, I want to point out how retarded the judge is. "uploaded to the internet" What idiot even uses such language to describe this? How old is this judge?
So maybe Defense Distributed just starts making flash drives that come loaded with all the plans. Maybe they start an email list where they just send you everything when you sign up.

So maybe Defense Distributed just starts making flash drives that come loaded with all the plans. Maybe they start an email list where they just send you everything when you sign up.

The judge’s order was akin to drinking water from a mesh-wire cup.

Looks like a press conference today at 12noon EST.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Radomysisky/status/1034198160459984896

This, right here, is what never needs to see the light of day.

SEC. 3. PROHIBITION.

Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(aa) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally publish, over the Internet or by means of the World Wide Web, digital instructions in the form of Computer Aided Design files or other code that can automatically program a 3-dimensional printer or similar device to produce a firearm or complete a firearm from an unfinished frame or receiver.”.
Text - H.R.6649 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): 3D Printed Gun Safety Act of 2018

Back
Top Bottom