• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doing the unthinkable

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
As most of you know I have collected Mosin Nagants and Finn rifles for over 30 years. Some years back the folks in New York had a complete barreled action for short money. The bluing was very good and the bore was great. I found a M39 stock and added it to my collection. Well I decided to make a custom rifle out of it. So I purchased an Arcangle Stock, Timney trigger, crowned the barrel and added some bedding to the stock. I then purchased a custom scope mount and its at the gunsmith now being drilled and tapped to except the mount.
I know its blasphemy to take a collector rifle and do this but what the heck I have so many M27's, M28's, and M39's one custom rifle using the very accurate M39 just seemed like a project I wanted to give a try.
I will post pictures when its finished along with some 200 yard targets.

So guys don't kick me out of the collectors forum for what we usually think is a "unthinkable act"!!!!

I'm not a collector, but I get it. Even so...I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your new to you custom rifle...

While most of mosins are still in cosmo...

I unwillingly found a minty 91/30 barrel action that someone cut down. [banghead]

I have the archangel and timney. Just need to cut the barrel down more. Get a beefy brake. Then find some glass.

We can't save them all. We can make them fun again!

nice ! cant wait. All this recent mosin talk has made me come back to my all matching 1927 tula...with ex sniper stalk. I am going to attempt to get this old rifle shooting more better than before,
I came close to 3moa with cast loads. For a 1927 barrel its in good shape it has some crusty spots in the bore. From what I feel with a patch and jag the rifling/bore/throat is well worn just forward of the chamber.

I found a box of the hornady 174gn FMJ http://www.hornady.com/store/.3105-303-CAL and will try them again but need to either find some .312 bullets or go back to cast if they don't work. Slugged the bore a while back and it came to .313

After seeing complete bolts on E Bay for over $100 dollars I found a gunsmith in Florida that makes some beautiful bolts for Mosin Nagants. He can make the traditional sniper bolt or if your making a custom shooter out of a Finn Mosin he has some very nice options for both the ATI receiver scope mount and the American tactical mount.

The "Boltman" out of Paxton MA. is two months out so that was a no go. He does great work but its a side job for him and the demand for bent bolts is high. Given the average price for a non matching 91/30 is now $275.00 and authentic snipers have all but dried up folks are mounting reproduction PU and PE scopes on the old girls to breath some life back into them.

If your interested the web site where I had my custom bent bolt made is www.biggorillagunworks.com . Hes a great guy to deal with and his turn around time is about a month.

Still nothing, the owner suffered severe damage to his home and workshop in the floods that occurred there. He offered to give me a full refund but i told him no get to it when you can.

Back
Top Bottom