• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog Shot in Norton

I have spent a fair amount of time in my adult life trying to understand why gun owners love to eat their own.

Same. It goes beyond the “I’ve got an AK, you’ve got an AR, you’re gay, nanny nanny boo boo” arguments we all love.
It’s like we try to help the antics eff over those who don’t shoot the same guns as I do, never realizing we’re cutting our own scrotums doing this.
For the life of me, I don’t know why we can’t learn from the military. It’s a closed group that fights among itself like cats and dogs. But wow to an outsider who try’s to join the fun.

If the leash law had been respected the dog would still be alive. We will never know what kind of trouble the dog was causing. Running deer, going after another dog who was on a leash or a hunting dog, threatening a walker, a hunter.....
Well....I used to not believe half of what the media said and seriously doubted the other half. I have spent the last 2 years learning not to believe anything the media says.

They are going to paint the "shooter" in the worst possible way.

What do we know with any certainty. There is a dead dog. That's it.

Is it possible for the owners to have made up the stick story? Put the stick there themselves? I have also learned over the last 2 years people will lie thru thier teeth if need be.

These folks also have 1 other dog. A Shepard, was the Shepard running with the coon hound as well?

We have a dog, or dogs running loose. Ran into someone who was armed. The dog is now dead. The rest of the story is conjecture.

Bo was my sons dog. Our family in no way would want to paint any responsible hunter in the worst possible way. We support everyones right to hunt. I can assure you of a few things with 100% certainty. The "stick story" is true. Bo is the only coon hound I have ever known so I can't say if his personality is specific to his breed I can only share with you the personality of Bo. Bo was an escape artist. My grandkids are 5 and 2, Bo would wait for his opportunity to escape. Sometimes it was when a neighborhood friend came or went or when one of my grandkids went into the house thru the garage forgetting the outside garage door was open. In the case of one of my visits when I stepped out of the house to get something from my car but the kids thought I was leaving so they opened the door and yelled to me, I quickly reminded my grandson to close the door so Bo didn't get out and as I turned to help him be quick I realized my granddaughter was using the hinge side of the door jam to step down, I had to push the door open and console her as her fingers had gotten hurt. Bo of course took advantage of the opportunity He loved putting his nose to the ground and following a scent. The area behind my sons house has a lot of wet lands. When he got out he would b line to that area. Honestly he was the sweetest silliest pup. He would of loved anyone he came upon when he was out there.

Last edited:
My sympathy for your family's loss. I had an escape artist dog once (lost him to natural causes at an advanced age) and it was traumatic each time since he was not one of these little guys who would make it home by himself.

The person who killed the dog may have been hunting be they are no hunter.

Bob

Not saying whether they were in the right or in the wrong, who knows because the details are unknown, but I will say hunters have been shooting dogs which are running deer since "shooting" was done exclusively with bows and arrows.

Not saying whether they were in the right or in the wrong, who knows because the details are unknown, but I will say hunters have been shooting dogs which are running deer since "shooting" was done exclusively with bows and arrows.

That's true , I know guys that won't bat an eye if a deer runs past with a dog or dogs on their ass.
One guy told me , the dog get's it first.
I could never bring myself to do it personally, but there was one who got a dirt shower from a slug in front of it to scare the piss out of him.
But jumping to the conclusion that it MUST have been a hunter like some people are doing is kind of lame.

I usually have my engineer calculate it for me.
So what is it carrying? 2nd floor living space?
Is it carrying any roof?
What is the length of the spans perpendicular to the 10' beam.

Steel is almost always smaller in height for a comparable lvl. It will probably be wider but doesn't sound like that will be an issue.

That's true , I know guys that won't bat an eye if a deer runs past with a dog or dogs on their ass.
One guy told me , the dog get's it first.
I could never bring myself to do it personally, but there was one who got a dirt shower from a slug in front of it to scare the piss out of him.
But jumping to the conclusion that it MUST have been a hunter like some people are doing is kind of lame.

Have they been on the hunt for generations trying to feed themselves to survive?

I'm all about hunting... but if I'm not doing it to not starve to death I'm not killing somebodies companion cause they're irresponsible, or just having a bad day where their dog got out. But I'm biased. My dogs are family members. My perspective is dogs are family.

Mike

As my in-law's explained it to me when my MIL shot Fido that got into her chickens, once a dog gets the taste of blood, it will keep coming back for more. I'll say she shot that thing without batting an eye!

I will say that the story posted yesterday by the purported family member provided the final proof to me that the family is responsible for this entire debacle, assuming what was posted is true. It was reported in that post that the dog escaping from the house was a constant occurrence and that the family was aware that the dog would disappear for long periods of time. So, clearly any steps that they had taken, knowing the dog always wanted to get out, were utterly insufficient. Hello......leash law.......responsible ownership..............How many times do you need to be hit over the head to understand you have a problem???

I am now convinced that these people were horrible dog owners, at least based on the record thus far.

As my in-law's explained it to me when my MIL shot Fido that got into her chickens, once a dog gets the taste of blood, it will keep coming back for more. I'll say she shot that thing without batting an eye!

I will say that the story posted yesterday by the purported family member provided the final proof to me that the family is responsible for this entire debacle, assuming what was posted is true. It was reported in that post that the dog escaping from the house was a constant occurrence and that the family was aware that the dog would disappear for long periods of time. So, clearly any steps that they had taken, knowing the dog always wanted to get out, were utterly insufficient. Hello......leash law.......responsible ownership..............How many times do you need to be hit over the head to understand you have a problem???

I am now convinced that these people were horrible dog owners, at least based on the record thus far.

Nailed it with a countersink!

No doubt - but it's truly a shame that the dog had to pay the price.

I am never one to advocate more government, but I bet that if every time the dog took off, he was thrown in the pound and it cost them $50 bucks to get Fido out, they would have kept a better eye on him.
And I understand if a neighbor etc. got pissed off if the dog was always running lose, but you shoot the thing?
Poor pooch.

Have they been on the hunt for generations trying to feed themselves to survive?

I'm all about hunting... but if I'm not doing it to not starve to death I'm not killing somebodies companion cause they're irresponsible, or just having a bad day where their dog got out. But I'm biased. My dogs are family members. My perspective is dogs are family.

Mike

All mine have been family too.
I watch my kids to keep them out of trouble.
Unlike the tribe of dindo I also don't excuse shitty behavior by them either .
Come up on a deer that's been torn to shit by a house dog or pack of them and has been laying there for a couple of days bleeding out with it's hindquarters tore up , it's a-hole ripped open and it's genitals ripped off and you might see the bigger picture.
It's pretty freaking gruesome.

Perspective. It’s key.

Sympathies for the loss, it is tragic, and obviously it will hurt. This is not lost on me.

However, from a land owners perspective, when a predator is running wild on YOUR land, that you own, you pay taxes on, etc...... it’s a dog eat dog world. This may have been on public land? Or private, I don’t know. It’s the same idea. Public land paid for by hunters, to be publicly hunted.

Again, sympathy for the loss, however, it could have been avoided. Shooter may be a little bit of a dickhead, but not necessarily in the wrong here.

I return my neighbors strays, I k ow them and they (to my k owledge) have caused my livestock no harm. If they were causing my livestock or pets harm, I would not batt an eye. Life in the real world. f*** your feelings.

This may sound like an ass hole comment but it's how I feel about it. If your dog is off it's leash and/or not under your direct control than whatever happens to it is your fault. End of story.

Same.

And if it's truly a freak accident, first time it's ever happened (or first time in years) that's one thing, still your responsibility but understandable.

If it gets loose all the damn time, for hours at a time, well you need to take some more precautions because the safety of your animals starts with you.

I said a few pages ago - this dog could just as easily been in the road with skid marks in front of it.

So if the conviction was that strong, then why did the shooter not fess up to it, if it was a case of a dog running deer or attacking a hunter...instead he chose to be a coward and cover it up....Just saying! [popcorn] Says scum bag in my book.

Because in this state anything involving guns = guilty until proven innocent. He likely would have had his entire collection confiscated, locked up at village vault, and when he won in court at great expense, the cost to pay for storage would exceed the cost of guns and he loses anyway...

I can see why someone would say f*** that noise and just carry on...

This may sound like an ass hole comment but it's how I feel about it. If your dog is off it's leash and/or not under your direct control than whatever happens to it is your fault. End of story.
On your own property, eh, disagree. Not on your own property, strongly agree.

I know many here may hate me for saying this but if you live in an apartment or condo with no land, you’re tourchering your animal. Same as having too many fish for your size tank!! Dogs are not build for cities, and neither am I.

Tell that to the poor slob on Cape Cod who got jacked up for shooting his dog in his own house and got his guns confiscated by the po-po. There was a thread here about it a week ago. I don't feel like searching for it for you.

Exactly....

...and there are a lot of assumptions being made... like the stick in the mouth... how do you know that happened after it's death? That could have been the shooter's first attempt at self-defense (beating it back). When that didn't work he resorted to the firearm. Hell the owner could have put it there upon finding the animal. Plus it's the media... Owners will be partial to their side/loss. Media will too because gunz.. Which means 90% of what was reported is very likely outright fabricated.

Because in this state anything involving guns = guilty until proven innocent. He likely would have had his entire collection confiscated, locked up at village vault, and when he won in court at great expense, the cost to pay for storage would exceed the cost of guns and he loses anyway...

I can see why someone would say f*** that noise and just carry on...

That's what I'm saying when I agree with the people calling this an "out yourself" thread.

Not "out yourself" as in opinions on the shoot, more on having the idea that it's a good idea to call the police if there's not a human victim or witnesses... "Don't worry, I'll get a fair shake, it's my civic duty. This will totally end well! Justice served, civil rights, it'll be fine!"

A dog is going to be a dog.
It's the owner's fault they let him get into a position where some jag-off could use him for target practice. Thumping his chest at the bar telling all his buddies how he's protecting the deer herd....
And bet that's what it was.........If you are hunting on public land, or even your own, and you shoot dog for chasing deer, you have big stones and are probably a psychopath.
With no snow to bog them down, deer can out run a single dog by miles without much trouble in my opinion.

A dog lose in the woods could easily be mistaken for a coyote. And it's open season on coyote with no bag limit. So - it just as easily could have been an accident. When the hunter realized it and didn't feel like losing his LTC and gun collection, he could have decided to just say - I'm all set with that noise.

The only fact we know for sure is that the owner was irresponsible.

When it comes to dogs, if it's not under your control, then it's your fault. Period. Everything else is just noise, nonsense, and an excuse. It belongs in the 2nd stall from the left.

A dog is going to be a dog.
It's the owner's fault they let him get into a position where some jag-off could use him for target practice. Thumping his chest at the bar telling all his buddies how he's protecting the deer herd....
And bet that's what it was.........If you are hunting on public land, or even your own, and you shoot dog for chasing deer, you have big stones and are probably a psychopath.
With no snow to bog them down, deer can out run a single dog by miles without much trouble in my opinion.

Commenting just on the bold.... your opinion would be wrong. Deer are not known for their endurance. They can run fast and bolt quickly from a standstill, but they can't go far at full tilt.

Commenting on the rest of your post, you're making a lot of assumptions.... like it was intentional, like you know the conditions for the shooting, like you know the psychological profile of the shooter... IMHO that makes you just as bad as the media, some members of the police, many in this state like the AG, and gun haters in general who make presumptions of guilt and dole out punishment before knowing any of the facts.

The only facts we know for sure:

Owners did not have their dog under their control
Owners did not know where their dog was
Owners have a history of negligence when it comes to keeping their animal under their control
It's open season (firearms) for both Whitetail and Coyote
Their dog was loose in the woods.
Their animal got shot.

Those are the established facts. Anything else is conjecture on your part. So 2nd stall to the left... that's where that shit belongs.

Hey - it's not your fault. You're a dog owner (your avatar makes that obvious), you empathize with this dog owner's pain resulting from their loss, and are sharing in their anger. You imagine how you would feel in their place. But don't make the same mistake that the David Hogg crowd does. Don't let your emotions rule over your better judgment. And don't create and insert your own "facts" based on how you feel. I've seen posts from you on this very forum accusing others of doing the same thing you're doing right now when it comes to assaulting your gun rights. Making assumptions, drawing conclusions, and letting emotions dictate your judgment and not the facts.

Agreed. But I would still need a pretty good reason to shoot a pet.

As would any reasonably minded person. We don't know what that reasoning is though. Maybe it was justified, maybe the guy was a dick. We don't know and probably never will.

Last edited:
A dog lose in the woods could easily be mistaken for a coyote. And it's open season on coyote with no bag limit. So - it just as easily could have been an accident. When the hunter realized it and didn't feel like losing his LTC and gun collection, he could have decided to just say - I'm all set with that noise.

The only fact we know for sure is that the owner was irresponsible.

When it comes to dogs, if it's not under your control, then it's your fault. Period. Everything else is just noise, nonsense, and an excuse. It belongs in the 2nd stall from the left.

Any idiot mistaking 99% of dogs for a coyote has no business hunting. Nothing easy at all about mistaking most domestic dogs for a coyote

Any idiot mistaking 99% of dogs for a coyote has no business hunting. Nothing easy at all about mistaking most domestic dogs for a coyote

I disagree completely. If your telling me you can tell the difference between a hound sized dog and a coyote when said animal is running through the woods, at oh say 70 yards and in cover... If that is what your telling me then I'm going to suggest you actually spend a little more time in the woods. Shit happens fast and you have to decide in an instant to shoot ot not.

I'm not saying such shots are ethical and should be taken. Only that mistakes can and do happen... They happen every year in fact.

Some are being far too quick to judge and condemn the shooter as some malicious ass hat. We don't even know that the dog was shot by a hunter. The dog has a history of getting loose by way of the owners negligence.. for all we know some pissed-off neighbor could have shot it and then dragged it out into the woods leaving it by a tree stand to make it look like a hunting accident. We just don't know.

You do have to admit that it seems odd. Why would a hunter who shot the dog either accidentally or intentionally and wanted to cover his tracks, leave the corpse right by his tree stand?

But I do know this: if the owner has money to pay for the dog to be studied at universities and various veterinary hospitals for evidence and enough money to offer a $5,000 reward they certainly had enough money for a goddamn leash.

Last edited:
...if the owner has money to pay for the dog to be studied at universities and various veterinary hospitals for evidence and enough money to offer a $5,000 reward they certainly had enough money for a goddamn leash.

THIS.

Dog sounds like it was a perfect candidate for "invisible fence" or some el-cheapo automatic door closers (you can do a good size house for <$200, ask me how I know). But they didn't know they had a problem - oh, wait, they said it on the news and on NES.

And now the family is offering a reward on NES for the CONVICTION of the shooter. For all we know, this may have been a self defense shooting. As someone stated above, the stick may have been the initial attempt to protect himself or herself. Sheesh. This just reinforces my belief that the shooter is better off staying anonymous. No good deed goes unpunished.

Back
Top Bottom