• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog rescues

How does a dog get that messed up in such a short period of time?
My best guess was she was left alone a lot, in a crate. Possessions turn into obsessions for lonely dogs. You can break it, just a huge quantity of time is needed to reverse it, by the teaspoon.

My best guess was she was left alone a lot, in a crate. Possessions turn into obsessions for lonely dogs. You can break it, just a huge quantity of time is needed to reverse it, by the teaspoon.
This. Some of these dogs are also very needy and very high strung depending on breeding. My last shorthair bless her soul was a little of both as well. As she got older she got better but she never really could ride in the car without being crazy. Even after a 5 mile run would take her a bit to settle down at night without bothering you. Where the shorthair I had before that would just lay down and take a nap or look out the window in the car, and go right to hanging out without bothering you at night.

One thing is for certain, you cant buy these dogs, crate them all day and not put them to work, training or a free run at some point in the day, every day. Or free range them on a large property daily. Some of them will be OK with little activity......but others live to run and work.

That was my last dog......and it took us some getting used to, we thought she would settle down a bit at 3 or 4 like the last one..........but that never happened. Get the leash or bell collar out and she'd lose her mind. Pull the gun out and start the truck....she'd be pacing the kitchen and whining. One thing is for sure.....free running, chasing birds and hunting, tongue hanging out, you could see my last dog was happier than a pig in shit. Biggest pain in the ass dog I ever had....but the best hunting dog I ever had.

Most people don't quite understand the commitment to daily exercise these dogs can be. Its not a Labrador retriever. These dogs in this wirehair, shorthair, and english pointer breeds are built to put miles on.

Back
Top Bottom