Dog owners, tick treatment opinions?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Personally, I think it's all the coyotes fault.

I also wonder why now there are so many. Back in the stone age when I was a kid, we never heard of ticks in this area. They started popping up around 25 or so years ago.
Deer overpopulation is a major factor, you can also blame global warming.
Very cold winters spanning several months have traditionally killed off tick populations in the U.S. Ticks are hardy creatures. It takes lengthy periods of low temperatures around 10°F to accomplish a winter kill of tick populations. If daytime temperatures reach 40°F, even if it’s much colder overnight, ticks can remain active. In the last 20 years or so, winter weather across the country has grown milder. As a result, ticks once found only in the southern states have moved north. Even snowfall doesn’t insure a tick die-off, because ticks can survive under a blanket of snow. And there are species of ticks, like the black-legged tick, that actually thrive in cold weather.

Another huge factor in the spread of ticks is wildlife. Birds, coyotes and deer transport ticks from one location to another, and once they are dropped off in a new area, smaller animals like mice, chipmunks and shrews move them around in the new location.

Conservation programs have dramatically increased populations of white-tailed deer in the U.S. In addition, coyote populations have also seen huge increases in the last few decades. Coyotes prey on the red fox, and the red fox preys on rodents that harbor infectious ticks. Where coyotes are present, red fox are not, and tick populations flourish.
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/14/tick-borne-illness.aspx

dixidawg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I'm not sure I buy a lot of those theories.

The coyote population has seen "huge increases"? All of those coyotes prey heavily on the deer. They also prey on the mice and smaller animals.

Conservation programs also dramatically increased deer populations? Hunting is the #1 conservation tool. In Mass the annual hunter deer kill is at all time highs, and many antlerless deer permits still go unsold.

Populations of predators, prey, and ticks are all increasing at high rates while "natural habitat" continues to shrink as areas get developed. It doesn't add up.

chindogg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   1
I was thinking frontline plus did not work at all. I used it every month last year and the fleas were bad. I bought it on ebay. Maybe it was fake? Any thoughts?
Seems like lots of bad reviews on Vectra too. Very few bad reviews on Frontline, and the bad ones seem to involve fake product being sold on Amazon and eBay.

I thought the mosquito repellant was a good idea because I'm in a bad area and they really drive him crazy. Not so worried about heartworm since he gets a chewable once per month. Not willing to risk some of the complications I have been reading about with Advantix and Vectra. Actually pisses me off that these people are selling shit that is know to cause issues in so many dogs.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used all the products mentioned and I am really happy with Sorestor collar. it's the same price as advantix and lasts for 8 months. We have young kids so I don't like the oils because my kids are all over my dogs. The collar has been doing an awesome job and I live out in the country. No problem with ticks.

chindogg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   1
I have used all the products mentioned and I am really happy with Sorestor collar. it's the same price as advantix and lasts for 8 months. We have young kids so I don't like the oils because my kids are all over my dogs. The collar has been doing an awesome job and I live out in the country. No problem with ticks.
How about fleas?

- - - Updated - - -

I use frontline plus. Works great imo
How bout fleas with this one too? Thanks

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
2nd year of Soresto for my animals and 3 of my friends animals as well. It's not cheap, but last year was the first year any of us could remember not pulling ticks of the "kids", for any of us.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I was thinking frontline plus did not work at all. I used it every month last year and the fleas were bad. I bought it on ebay. Maybe it was fake? Any thoughts?
Frontline Plus is generally fantastic for fleas, less so for ticks as the month of use wanes. So I would have to suspect that either you were washing your dog a lot during usage or you were not using real Frontline Plus.

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Two things....

2. The fact that you didn't know your dog was vaccinated for Lyme worries me. I'm glad he was vaccinated yes, but I wish more vets would actually take the time to explain what they are doing and vaccinating for. Not all my clients get the Lyme vaccine after I explain and recommend it to them. It's there choice to get it or not. Did you give consent to vaccinate for Lyme? I assume had to have in some fashion, but the fact that you can't recall is concerning. What if you had not wanted it after all that has been discussed.
I have to take the blame for not being aware that he got the Lyme vaccine. I couldn't recall her mentioning it, but I'm pretty sure she would have. For example, before she gave him the shot for "kennel cough" she asked me if I ever boarded him or if he went to a groomer. He does go to a groomer where he is around other dogs, so he gets the vaccination for kennel cough.

When I leave the Vet I'm always given a detailed printout of what was done to the dog. I'm sure the Lyme vaccine was listed on it, but it just never registered with me. I'm lucky that he doesn't have seem to have any reactions to any meds he's ever been given. He's curled up under my desk as I'm typing this. Seems quite happy and healthy...unless I accidentally bump him with my foot. [laugh]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soresto Collar (for dogs and cats): 10% imidcloprid (insecticide) and 4.5% flumethrin (sythetic pyrethroid that is safe for cats)

It only releases chemicals when in contact with skin. It is water resistant. It is non-toxic when eaten. It is radiographically visible if your pet eats it. It is safe for cats. It last for 8 months. It is over the counter. And it is receiving high praise amongst the veterinary and client community. I would suggest anyone looking into flea and tick products to take a look at it.

Now I'm not a fan of collars - they do get eaten, broken, lost, etc. but man, Bayer has got a good one here.
I have this on my GSD... It's working well and I take him for almost daily walks in the woods.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Pronynl on mine, found one small one so far, so it must be working since she is in the woods ALL the time.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I figured I would bump this thread seeing if anyone knew anything about the tick treatment Nexgard?

I have been using Vectra for the past 6 months on my 1 year Brittany. Although many hate it, I have been pleased with Vectra's performance as we are in the woods almost daily. However, I can tell my dog is developing a reaction to the Vectra. Her skin gets itchy after dosage for the past 3 months (once a month dosing) and it is getting worse. What had started as a few hours of itchy skin has progressed to about 12 hours. So I am looking for other options. I sent an email about my concerns to my vet as the pup has her annual checkup on Saturday and she suggested Nexgard, which is from the makers of Frontline and is a chewable. I was not aware that chewables were an option now so am curious if any one out there uses it or is at least aware of it?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wow...sorry for the terribly late reply. I completely missed this post about Nexgard. But while were on the subject we can talk about Bravecto too.

So Nexgard (afoxolaner) and Bravecto (Fluralaner) are a new class of chemicals called isoxazolines with anti-parasitic properties. These novel compounds have activity against the GABA and glutamate-gated chloride channels with significant selectivity for insect neurons over mammalian neurons. Aka they are markedly more selective and active against insects over dogs and humans. Both are very good at killing fleas and ticks. The main difference between the two products is their length of activity with Nexgard lasting 1 month while Bravecto lasts 3. Bravecto is turning out to be a very good product at our clinic.

So whats the catch, it's an oral product that lasts 1 or 3 months depending, and kills both fleas and ticks rapidly. Well since it's an oral product, the flea and tick has to bite the dog to be killed. Speed of kill becomes very important and yes both do kill tick fast (<12 hrs) which is enough to theoretically prevent lyme disease. The issue is they the insects still have to bite. That is where the pyrethrin containing topical product win hands down. They still have the repellency going for them.

But for dogs that swim and wash topicals off faster - the oral products look extremely promising and seem to be the future of the flea and tick market.

chiefsaj

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wow...sorry for the terribly late reply. I completely missed this post about Nexgard. But while were on the subject we can talk about Bravecto too. So Nexgard (afoxolaner) and Bravecto (Fluralaner) are a new class of chemicals called isoxazolines with anti-parasitic properties. These novel compounds have activity against the GABA and glutamate-gated chloride channels with significant selectivity for insect neurons over mammalian neurons. Aka they are markedly more selective and active against insects over dogs and humans. Both are very good at killing fleas and ticks. The main difference between the two products is their length of activity with Nexgard lasting 1 month while Bravecto lasts 3. Bravecto is turning out to be a very good product at our clinic. So whats the catch, it's an oral product that lasts 1 or 3 months depending, and kills both fleas and ticks rapidly. Well since it's an oral product, the flea and tick has to bite the dog to be killed. Speed of kill becomes very important and yes both do kill tick fast (<12 hrs) which is enough to theoretically prevent lyme disease. The issue is they the insects still have to bite. That is where the pyrethrin containing topical product win hands down. They still have the repellency going for them. But for dogs that swim and wash topicals off faster - the oral products look extremely promising and seem to be the future of the flea and tick market.

Can you use pyrethrin and one of the other two simultaneously?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Can you use pyrethrin and one of the other two simultaneously?
We have been advised that Bravecto is safe to use with virtually all medication and nearly all Topical Flea and Tick Meds (not 100% sure on Revolution). It would appear that Nexgard is the same (due to the same family of drug, and from what other vets are learning). So yes to your original question.

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We switched from Activyl to NexGard recently. found the topical application a bit annoying because it would always be freshly applied right when the dog needed a bath! [grin] That, and our dog loves to swim, so in the warmer months we thought it best to use something that water would not impact the efficacy of.

Doc, do you recommend a specific topical to be used in conjunction with NexGard? If possible, I'd prefer to supplement it with a preventative.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Doc, do you recommend a specific topical to be used in conjunction with NexGard? If possible, I'd prefer to supplement it with a preventative.
Not really. As I stated above...you could pretty much supplement with anything. Personally I like the low dose permethrin containing products (and I use Parastar Plus) due to their increased repellency of ticks. But you have to be comfortable with putting that type of chemical on your dog (ie. risk of side effects) and also any concerns you may have about using it around cats, kids, other family members, or developing flea/tick resistance concerns.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have been happy with the NexGard since switching. My dog has no adverse reaction to it and it seems to do the job. Because I know this does not have any repellant with it I just make sure to do a thorough tick check of her when we get home

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have been happy with the NexGard since switching. My dog has no adverse reaction to it and it seems to do the job. Because I know this does not have any repellant with it I just make sure to do a though tick check of her when we get home
Always a good idea. The studies I've seen show that the ticks that owners do find are usually attached, dead, desiccated, and turn to dust when you try to remove them. A dead tick is a good thing, but I would prefer they not have to bite to die. But should they bite - I hope it's a quick death.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
One reason I like Fipronil is that it has no deterrent effect; it kills all stages of dog ticks but unlike pyrethroid products, is not a tick repellent, so they wander around on the dog until they die (instead of dropping off and looking for a less repulsive host).

When I want a repellent, I've switched from DEET to Picaridin.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We use the Soresto collars, seem to work well for us. Do your research, some folks have had issues with these but that's probably the same with most any treatment.

Joe G

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My vet switched us last year from Frontline to SimpleGuard. A quick web search found a hit that said it's just renamed Vectra. True? Should I be swtiching at our next appointment?

Artifact

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I keep using peppermint, oregano oils and he hasn't had any ticks. I have had them on me but not him. So far is working great.

No chemicals on my dog, if you won't put chemicals on you why put chemicals on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mannydog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
We're going with Soresto this year. The number of ticks we were finding seemed a lot worse this year. I asked my vet what she uses on her pups (Soresto) so we've given it a try. Three weeks so far without any ticks found.

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just switched to the Seresto 8 month collar on my vet's advice. He says they're very effective. Too bad the biggest one doesn't fit around Willie's neck. I had to tape it to the back of his collar.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just switched to the Seresto 8 month collar on my vet's advice. He says they're very effective. Too bad the biggest one doesn't fit around Willie's neck. I had to tape it to the back of his collar.
Gun Dog Supply sells Jiffy Rivets that are perfect for attaching the Seresto to a collar.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/lyme-disease-and-lyme-vaccine-disease/

"Dr. Ron Schultz, our leading veterinary vaccine researcher does not recommend the use of Lyme disease vaccines on his own dogs despite living in a Lyme endemic part of the country in Wisconsin. Dr. MP Littman Dip ACVIM of Penn School of Vet Med also does not recommend any Lyme vaccines. All of them recommend you keep the dogs free of ticks. Most of the tick control products we are recommending are also effective against mosquitoes and fleas two more vectors recently associated with spirochete transfer and vectors of blood borne diseases.

It would also be useful to list that none of the US Veterinary schools list the Lyme Vaccine on their recommended lists of vaccines for animals. The AVMA and AAHA also are not recommending Lyme vaccines as a part of core vaccination protocols. It is obvious to me that there are too many problems with all the Lyme vaccines on the market and with the outer surface antigens like OspA, there exists a larger problem with immunopathology, cross reactivity and molecular mimicry. Since the goal of vaccination is to prevent and thereby promote optimal patient and public health, none of which is achieved with the Lyme vaccine, it would be best to avoid the Lyme vaccination and associated propaganda.

I recommend that my patients take the precaution of being on Astragalus during tick seasons. Astragalus is but one herb that has immune-modulating abilities. There are many herbs that can be used to help the body against spirochete infections and even for treatment of Lyme disease nd Lyme Vaccine disease. *See Stephen Harrod Bruhner’s book Healing Lyme Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and its co-infections."

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/free/LymeDiseaseEbook.pdf

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/flea-tick-powder/

"Every summer season, the debate rages on about the considerable dangers of topical flea and tick products. If you would like to avoid these toxins but still want to give your pet some protection, here is an easy recipe for a safe and effective flea and tick powder, using only three ingredients:

Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
NEEM (dry form)
Yarrow

Simply mix the three together and rub the dust mixture into your dog’s coat. Use some caution with DE as it can irritate the mucosa. Once the dust settles however, there is no harm."

I have two GSDs, use Wondercide (wondercide.com) cedar based organic products, no topical pesticides, no Lyme's Vaccinations)- treat my yard with their products and diatomaceous earth. Very happy for the past two years. Previously used a product by Goodness Gracious based out of Marblehead, MA with decent effect, but the essential oils were a bit strong since I tend to be sensitive to scents...it was effective, but I prefer Wondercide. The Astragalus can be found in Whole Foods- I have used it to boost immune function in both myself and the dogs.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
~MD

Top Bottom