• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog attack - How would you handle?

I keep meaning to get a baton or spray to attach to the leash or the stroller. I’d love to say I carry religiously, but I don’t. My wife certainly doesn’t either. Also, when trying to get 2 kids and 3 dogs out the door for a walk once everyone is corralled I’m not running inside for anything. I’ll often leave my phone, sunglasses, etc on the table during my battle to get out the door.

I've seen multiple dog bites from the K-9 officers in jail, GSD ( @Greg ) will rip skin off like it's pop top container or deep puncture wounds, either way your not winning
Many GSD police dogs got stabbed and critically injured; some survived surgery while others died from knife wounds. I seriously doubt that the average criminal is an accomplished knife fighter and they were likely carrying cheap knives but the damage was done. Best fighting knife is a razor sharp Bowie with a fully sharpened false edge for the back cut. A proper Bowie can disembowel a dog or a man with one solid thrust.

NES: "OMG, ACAB THEY WILL SHOOT YOUR DOG, ESPECIALLY THE ATF!!"

Also NES: "STOP DOG FIGHTS WITH BULLETS. IF DOG RUNS OFF DEER YOU WANT TO SHOOT, SHOOT THE DOG. IF DOG LOOKS AT YOU FUNNY, SHOOT IT!!!"

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Jeezus, WTF...

For OP, bear spray / mace should do the job and won't likely create any legal hassle whatsoever. Using a gun should be a last resort and in case the other dog owner is in hot pursuit of the escapee you might want to consider he/she might be carrying as well in case you have the apparent NES knee-jerk "solve all problems with bullets" approach.

NES: "OMG, ACAB THEY WILL SHOOT YOUR DOG, ESPECIALLY THE ATF!!"

Also NES: "STOP DOG FIGHTS WITH BULLETS. IF DOG RUNS OFF DEER YOU WANT TO SHOOT, SHOOT THE DOG. IF DOG LOOKS AT YOU FUNNY, SHOOT IT!!!"

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Jeezus, WTF...

For OP, bear spray / mace should do the job and won't likely create any legal hassle whatsoever. Using a gun should be a last resort and in case the other dog owner is in hot pursuit of the escapee you might want to consider he/she might be carrying as well in case you have the apparent NES knee-jerk "solve all problems with bullets" approach.

Seems to be the consensus. Mace/Bear spray, maybe a stun gun. A folding knife and a big stick. Last resort would be a firearm.

you might want to consider he/she might be carrying as well in case you have the apparent NES knee-jerk "solve all problems with bullets" approach.
I was very aware of that very fact, especially given that the owner was very close to engaging me hand-to-hand. He had his right hand cocked back to swing as he got within reach of me. My guess is he wasn't armed, but you never know how something like this could turn out. Here's the thing. At the end of the day, someone draws down on me for shooting their dog who is attacking me or my family, it's going to be a bad day for everyone involved and I'll just leave it at that. This does bring up the need for a spare magazine, given my legal capacity for my G19 is 10 rounds (I don't CC with pre-bans) and while I don't plan on getting into a shootout during a dog walk, we can see what not planning ahead for worst case gets you.

I ain’t shooting no dog like some North East Seals in here.
As I said multiple times, we're dog lovers. I have zero desire to shoot a dog, but I won't hesitate to defend my family from a "mortal" danger. I'm not going to debate with you. I'll just say that a 110lb woman has zero chance against a 100lb GSD if that GSD is determined to attack, never mind multiple assailants. There are also multiple aggressive GSD's on our walking route. I won't let this happen to my wife or kid and if this happens to me, I'll escalate until the problem is resolved. This whole encounter has raised my awareness of threats I didn't take seriously enough (hence why I wasn't carrying). We're pretty lucky I was walking with my wife as usually she walks alone. Same for my son as we often take turns with the dog.

Last edited:
I was attacked by a dog this year. I was carrying cause I was going to a Craigslist purchase. And always do.

Anyways, the dog of a party not affiliated by the purchase got loose and attacked me. I didn't think of the gun at all. I had motorcycle ramps cause what I was buying was large enough to need that to load and I was setting them up. I shoved it under my truck till the owner showed up.

Looking back on it the area was a suburban area with a lot of home, and that was the best option

I’ve had a few encounters with off leash dogs and my dog (pic in my avatar) Duke is overly protective in that we can’t walk him easily with our kids because he goes after anything that moves, doesn’t bite but he’s 90lbs loud and can get up to about 35mph in about 20 feet so if he lounging at trees that move along with the wind, dirt big bugs etc it’s an exhausting experience for him and me lol.

Anytime I’ve come up against an unleashed dog in the woods I drop Dukes lead right away start hollering and back up, Duke won’t let anything between me and him and I don’t worry about him chasing the other dog and honestly I don’t really give a shit if he does at that point, we have leash laws for a reason, I always have spray, a knife and a gun which I would use in that order, I love my dog but I’m not physically getting between him and another dog if it comes to it.

He’s only ever bit one other dog and it was a neighbors dog that was aggressive to my son when he was around 2 getting the mail with my wife, the dog knocked my son over stood over the top of him and growled by the mail box, Duke busted threw a screen door ran through his electrified fence and pinned the other dog by its throat against the ground until I got out there, wasn’t pulling or tearing at him just holding his throat and growling like a bear.

Seems to be the consensus. Mace/Bear spray, maybe a stun gun. A folding knife and a big stick. Last resort would be a firearm.

you might want to consider he/she might be carrying as well in case you have the apparent NES knee-jerk "solve all problems with bullets" approach.
I was very aware of that very fact, especially given that the owner was very close to engaging me hand-to-hand. He had his right hand cocked back to swing as he got within reach of me. My guess is he wasn't armed, but you never know how something like this could turn out. Here's the thing. At the end of the day, someone draws down on me for shooting their dog who is attacking me or my family, it's going to be a bad day for everyone involved and I'll just leave it at that. This does bring up the need for a spare magazine, given my legal capacity for my G19 is 10 rounds (I don't CC with pre-bans) and while I don't plan on getting into a shootout during a dog walk, we can see what not planning ahead for worst case gets you.

As I said multiple times, we're dog lovers. I have zero desire to shoot a dog, but I won't hesitate to defend my family from a "mortal" danger. I'm not going to debate with you. I'll just say that a 110lb woman has zero chance against a 100lb GSD if that GSD is determined to attack, never mind multiple assailants. There are also multiple aggressive GSD's on our walking route. I won't let this happen to my wife or kid and if this happens to me, I'll escalate until the problem is resolved. This whole encounter has raised my awareness of threats I didn't take seriously enough (hence why I wasn't carrying). We're pretty lucky I was walking with my wife as usually she walks alone. Same for my son as we often take turns with the dog.

The guy is obviously a real dick. If mine gets loose it will be accidental and if it attacks others my focus will be on stopping MY dog, no matter what it takes.

One guy in Methuen wounded a pit bull that escaped from a fenced yard and attacked him. Police grabbed his gun, LTC, and also seized the rifle he had at home for "safe keeping". Not sure if he ever got his stuff back. Some nasty pepper spray and a sword cane would be my choice. Many look like plain walking sticks. This is MA. Don't give them a reason to take your LTC.
Lol sword cane!!!

I actually have one but I’d never unleash it on a dog.

I was attacked by a dog this year. I was carrying cause I was going to a Craigslist purchase. And always do.

Anyways, the dog of a party not affiliated by the purchase got loose and attacked me. I didn't think of the gun at all. I had motorcycle ramps cause what I was buying was large enough to need that to load and I was setting them up. I shoved it under my truck till the owner showed up.

Looking back on it the area was a suburban area with a lot of home, and that was the best option
You are saying your life was in danger and you didn’t dump 3 x 10 round mags on the dog??????

Wow dude

I've used guns, tazers and spray. For a dog attack I suspect the majority of cases spray would be the best.

And when you use spray you'll probably get hit with a little of your own magic, especially if it's up close or even a tad bit windy.

Being hit by splatter/mist from spray is super annoying, but its about 5% of the fun of being hit directly in the face.

if you want to find out I can meet up with you and taze you. After you get up and yell about how much that hurt I'll hit you with spray and come back in 3 hours when your still screaming about your face [rofl]

OC is hell in a bottle. And it's not like 30 seconds of hell like a tazer. It's like 5 hours of being 100% miserable. And the 1st 30 minutes of it are really, really bad. OC gets very extreme retreat behavior out of the animals it hits, which is the hallmark of it. Every ounce of your body says "run away" and the entertaining part is it's next to impossible to keep your eyes open after theyve been sprayed, which is why there are so many videos of people running into things while trying to escape. [rofl]
I have been there done that with OC, and yes it's sucks.That's why I don't want to take some of the hit while I am dealing with a dog.
As for the taser, I never took a hit from one but I did get to close to a livestock fence, and that f^*king hurt.

The guy is obviously a real dick. If mine gets loose it will be accidental and if it attacks others my focus will be on stopping MY dog, no matter what it takes.
That would be the "normal" response. Both my wife and I were astounded by the guy's initial response. Keep in mind, his wife was in a complete panic and just trying to get control of her dog, whom she couldn't catch, while apologizing profusely. Made me think there might be some screws loose with him. We love our dog, but if she was attacking someone or another dog, like you, I'd be doing everything in my power to stop it. He completely ignored the situation, to the point that as he is winding up to hit me and I'm squaring off at him, he's yelling at me that our Pit Bull is obviously dangerous (while leashed and under my control). I yelled back right in his face to get control of his psycho dog that just ran out into the street completely uncontrolled while pointing out my dog is leashed.

Seriously, I should have just clocked him. I'm tired of always being the tolerant one and having to put up with the fall out of other people's poor decisions, mental problems and derangement at rights that are enumerated in our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Of course, in MA, we have that whole "Suitability" thing...

I have been there done that with OC, and yes it's sucks.That's why I don't want to take some of the hit while I am dealing with a dog.
As for the taser, I never took a hit from one but I did get to close to a livestock fence, and that f^*king hurt.
A tazer will drop you for sure. Hell, most of the real problems with tazers is how people get wiped out when they hit the ground. They can't brace and they will fall awkwardly which can result in some big injuries.

But for fast moving/small/wiggly things like dogs? Shooting a tazer at one is already tricky... add in one fighting with another dog or person... now youre getting into Presidents 100 levels of aim/timing to pull that one off.

Not to mention if you taze a dog one way or another the tazing will end, and what's that dog and it's owner going to be up to when one of the prongs falls out/kicked out/removed? They arent going to be happy and theyll be back in the game. With spray, everyone that hits in the face is out of the game the moment it lands.

spray is great because if you miss just keep going. And if the owner needs some, hell, he can have it. Tazers can't really bring that level of flexibility.

You are saying your life was in danger and you didn’t dump 3 x 10 round mags on the dog??????

Wow dude
Seems like troll...
What if it was Don Frye?
Then I'd lose? I didn't get trained fighter vibes from this guy. First off, who charges in to a fight with his right fist cocked back for a haymaker. I mean I saw it coming from literally yards away and was able to drop into a defensive stance with one arm ready to block the attack. I'm no Don Frye despite having come close to earning my black belt in Tae Kwon Do back in the day. Second, I'm younger than the dude by at least 10-15 years, possibly more and had probably 50lb on him. Granted I'm not in fighting shape any more and definitely need to lose some excess weight, but the reality was in the time I sized him up, I didn't view him as a threat at all. I was more worried about the dog (until I thought what if the crazy guy is armed).

Last edited:
Nothing like a bad dog owner to ruin it for everyone. I had a GSD that was a total teddy bear, once when walking him on a leash in our neighborhood park a Rottweiler came charging at us and snarling, off leash, ignoring his owner who was half-heartedly calling him. I put my hand under my coat on the butt of my gun and screamed 'restrain your dog' (I'm a small woman). When I took position, that owner seriously screamed for his dog, and the dog stopped and let himself be restrained. This was all in a matter of a couple of seconds. I would have shot that dog. I might have lost my gun license, but I'd rather that than lose my dog.

I carry for coyotes because I have a small dog now. Looking back, I'd rather have some bear spray or pepper spray for another dog.

Last edited:
Then I'd lose? I didn't get trained fighter vibes from this guy. First off, who charges in to a fight with his right fist cocked back for a haymaker. I mean I saw it coming from literally yards away. Second, I'm younger than the dude by at least 10-15 years, possibly more and had probably 50lb on him. Granted I'm not in fighting shape any more and definitely need to lose some excess weight, but the reality was in the time I sized him up, I didn't view him as a threat at all. I was more worried about the dog (until I thought what if the crazy guy is armed).

Nothing says "I don't know how to strike" like having your hand precocked and not protecting yourself. [rofl]

I saw a video of a pitbull attacking a golden retriever in a crowded market in some foreign country. A policeman peppersprayed the pit and it didn't even pause for a second. Can't find the video now.

Everyone who carries pepper spray should be aware that not everyone (people or dogs) react the same to it, and should not assume it's a 100% solution to whatever caused them to spray in the first place.

There was a guy who lived about about a quarter of a mile up the main road from me. He owned at least 2 GSD at the time (possibly more over the years). Don't know much about the guy or his dogs other than his property was a combination of chain link and wood fence, had multiple beware of dogs signs, and the dogs always seemed aggressive if you were walking on the sidewalk past his house.

I was working from home years ago and heard screaming/shouting outside. I couldn't see much from where I was, so I went to a different room. Across the street on the sidewalk was an older woman (70s+) who was shouting at one of his GSD that had gotten out. The dog wasn't yet attacking her, but but circling her snarling/barking.

I briefly thought about grabbing one of my handguns, but instead went for a baseball bat. By the time I got outside someone had managed to get her into the lobby of a nearby apartment complex and the owner was there collecting his dog.

It will , but believe or not , you open yourself up for federal charges.
There was a thread here a while back on the topic of using it if mace wasn't legal /available.
Misuse of a pesticide will put you in fed f*ck territory.
Honestly, when it comes to defending my life or the life of a loved one, I would take whatever action is necessary for defense and worry about the consequences later. If the necessary action involves deadly force, well, it is what it is. Hand me my citation for criminal court and see you there. At least I'll be alive to show up and answer the bullshit charges!

He’s only ever bit one other dog and it was a neighbors dog that was aggressive to my son when he was around 2 getting the mail with my wife, the dog knocked my son over stood over the top of him and growled by the mail box, Duke busted threw a screen door ran through his electrified fence and pinned the other dog by its throat against the ground until I got out there, wasn’t pulling or tearing at him just holding his throat and growling like a bear.
I've been bitten and threatened so often it wouldn't bother me a bit to shoot a threatening dog. But I want to buy Duke a bag of bacon-flavored treats.
Section 156. Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, and if any person shall kill or attempt to kill a dog so found, and in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, he shall not be held liable for cruelty to the dog unless it shall be shown that he intended to be cruel to the dog, or that he acted with a wanton and reckless disregard for the suffering of the dog. A person killing or wounding a dog under the conditions set out in this section shall promptly report to the owner, animal control officer or police officer such killing or wounding. Prompt killing of a wounded dog, or a prompt report to the owner or to a dog officer of the wounding of the dog, shall be considered evidence of sufficient regard for the suffering of the dog.
I'll be damned. It's a Massachusetts law: General Laws Part I Title XX Chapter 140 Section 156. Thanks for that.

Everyone who carries pepper spray should be aware that not everyone (people or dogs) react the same to it, and should not assume it's a 100% solution to whatever caused them to spray in the first place.
Then you either shoot them or run them through with an edged weapon. No compromise. They started the problem, you finish it. Like cops, you have to get home safely at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom