• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog attack - How would you handle?

I agree with this - my dog is 60lbs, extremely fast and strong (and usually the sweetest thing ever!). She can handle herself just fine so I'd drop the leash and then, if it was obviously necessary, kick the other dog into next week while it was otherwise occupied.

And, if that didn't work and I turned into the next target - a Glock is a great equalizer. ;-) I would never get close enough to try and engage a knife - dogs are lightning fast.

I've been thinking about this aspect the entire time and actually feel very guilty about it. I had physical control of my dog the entire time. It limited my options and it severely limited her ability to defend herself. My reason for not letting go was that at least with her close to me, we had control of one aspect of the encounter and just had to stop the aggressor. If I let her go, she is very fast and there was no telling where the encounter would spread to, but it would/could move elsewhere much faster than any of us could run. I'm not sure that was sound logic, but at the time letting go seemed like a risk. I actually told my wife after that I should have handed off the leash to her at the first sign of trouble. Let her deal with maintaining control of our dog while I fully engage the threat. Again, not sure it would have been correct. Had it been multiple attackers, at that point I would have let her go and hope she could hold her own against at least one of the attackers, which she probably could.

Will pepper spray work against an aggressive dog? I only ask as I have zero experience with pepper spray. About the closest I've come to that was in basic training when they have you take your mask off in the middle of the CS gas chamber.

Spray is a lot worse than CS. I had to do the spray course for some training overseas and it 100% blows. I'd take CS anyday and everyday over being sprayed.

That said, yes, it works on dogs. And is probably your only realistic option unless you want to risk being dragged into a court room to make your case if you use a firearm instead.

I like dogs but I am getting real tired of their esteemed status in society today. At the end of the day a dog is a dog, not a "grand-dog" or a "fur baby". Is anybody else fed up with seeing dogs at restaurants, inside stores, etc.? Every other time I am hiking in the woods with my kids I need to scoop up my two year old and hold my four year old to the side of the trail when a stupid dog comes running up to us. Of course the owner always shouts "It's ok he's friendly!" Usually it's fine but one of these times he isn't going to be friendly.
279553826_5128200943892938_4460116127001156664_n.jpg

I like dogs but I am getting real tired of their esteemed status in society today. At the end of the day a dog is a dog, not a "grand-dog" or a "fur baby". Is anybody else fed up with seeing dogs at restaurants, inside stores, etc.? Every other time I am hiking in the woods with my kids I need to scoop up my two year old and hold my four year old to the side of the trail when a stupid dog comes running up to us. Of course the owner always shouts "It's ok he's friendly!" Usually it's fine but one of these times he isn't going to be friendly.
I agree 100% and I am a dog owner. The its friendly line doesn't help when they jump up and knock my kids over.

I agree 100% and I am a dog owner. The its friendly line doesn't help when they jump up and knock my kids over.
Doesn't help when my autistic daughter is having a meltdown either. And they always insist that it's ok because their dog is friendly, have even had people offer to let her get close to their dog (while I have her in a bear hug/full nelson trying to keep her upright). I don't take her anywhere that dogs are allowed off leash, I avoid places where they're on leash. I draw the line and will get in the dog owner's face if the dog isn't leashed as required or isn't supposed to be there in the first place. Happens more than you think.

Last edited:
That can go the same for the spray in the heat of the moment you could end up wearing the spray, then your really f--ked.

Doesn't help when my autistic daughter is having a meltdown either. And they always insist that it's ok because their dog is friendly, have even had people offer to let her get close to their dog (while I have her in a bear hug/full nelson trying to keep her upright). I don't take her anywhere that dogs are allowed off leash, I avoid places where they're on leash. I draw the line and will get in the dog owner's face if the dog isn't leashed as required or supposed to be there in the first place. Happens more than you think.
Yea my autistic Daughter had the same issue when she was younger, people would say the same thing.
It took us a few year,s to slowly introduce Her to dogs, and now She loves them.

It's funny, but as an LTC holder and a generally big/strong guy (5'10", 220) in MA, I've never really concerned myself with the "less-than-lethal" stuff available to us. My wife normally carries mace, but didn't have it on her during our dog walk encounter. My son would need his FID to carry mace in MA. My wife has been meaning to get her LTC for a while and has taken the safety course. Now that we're looking at stun guns and the LTC requirement in MA, she'll be getting that asap. It is complete BS that my son won't be able to legally carry a stun gun as he can't get an LTC at 16, just the FID. Same for my daughter who is 18. Of course, she is in ME, so now I have to make myself acquainted with a whole other set of laws/requirements for her.

This state (and much of New England barring NH) is complete garbage.

Whenever I went into the woods with my dog I brought OC spray for precisely this situation. I also always carry a gun and if I didn't have the OC spray I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an aggressive dog charging at me.

Speaking of which, we were walking through the woods one time when three guys showed up with two GSDs off leash. My wife and I took our pittie off the trail, as we always did to avoid any confrontation with other dogs. As they passed by the dogs seemed curious about us but so did the three men, who were giving us the stink eye. That's when I began to question carrying a five shot revolver and eventually upgraded to a P365 as my pocket gun. Just something to consider.
One guy in Methuen wounded a pit bull that escaped from a fenced yard and attacked him. Police grabbed his gun, LTC, and also seized the rifle he had at home for "safe keeping". Not sure if he ever got his stuff back. Some nasty pepper spray and a sword cane would be my choice. Many look like plain walking sticks. This is MA. Don't give them a reason to take your LTC.

Bang

I've been thinking about this aspect the entire time and actually feel very guilty about it. I had physical control of my dog the entire time. It limited my options and it severely limited her ability to defend herself. My reason for not letting go was that at least with her close to me, we had control of one aspect of the encounter and just had to stop the aggressor. If I let her go, she is very fast and there was no telling where the encounter would spread to, but it would/could move elsewhere much faster than any of us could run. I'm not sure that was sound logic, but at the time letting go seemed like a risk. I actually told my wife after that I should have handed off the leash to her at the first sign of trouble. Let her deal with maintaining control of our dog while I fully engage the threat. Again, not sure it would have been correct. Had it been multiple attackers, at that point I would have let her go and hope she could hold her own against at least one of the attackers, which she probably could.
Don't feel guilty, but do drop the leash when the other dog is loose as soon as it gets physical.

Doesn't help when my autistic daughter is having a meltdown either. And they always insist that it's ok because their dog is friendly, have even had people offer to let her get close to their dog (while I have her in a bear hug/full nelson trying to keep her upright). I don't take her anywhere that dogs are allowed off leash, I avoid places where they're on leash. I draw the line and will get in the dog owner's face if the dog isn't leashed as required or isn't supposed to be there in the first place. Happens more than you think.
I've seen it in Home Depot. Like, WTF?

Dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. Could be a kid next time or a dog that cant defend itself.
File a report. If enough get filed the dogs a goner. If its a one off he'll live to see another day.
Get photos of the wounds, visit the vet if needed and sue them for the cost.
you had to take photos of the people, the dog and try to get vet info from them and their info.
medical bills for the vet is the issue. confirmation if that dog had proper rabies vaccine is the issue.
damages done to you is the issue.

them potentially suing you ! - is the issue. you had to do a police report to document the incident. it is all very unpleasant.

I was only half kidding above about the dog armor...

I'm now looking at something like this to provide some protection/advantage if something like this happens again:

and this to provide better control with the grab handle instead of the leash or collar, especially considering her ability to defend herself in part she needs to not be choked or pulled off balance.

I considered this for about a second, but felt it was a little over the top. Maybe I'm wrong...
Amazon product ASIN B09C13MB42View: https://www.amazon.com/CoyoteVest-SpikeVest-Reflective-Accessories-Fluorescent/dp/B09C13MB42/ref=asc_df_B09C13MB42/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533110348524&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11811174128015542117&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002176&hvtargid=pla-1460952562012&th=1

I was only half kidding above about the dog armor...

I'm now looking at something like this to provide some protection/advantage if something like this happens again:

and this to provide better control with the grab handle instead of the leash.
We started using a harness on our lab, it's much better than her pulling on a collar and has the handle to grab easily. It's also great in the truck to use with a seatbelt. Took a bit for her to get used to wearing it, but now no issues.

That can go the same for the spray in the heat of the moment you could end up wearing the spray, then your really f--ked.

I've used guns, tazers and spray. For a dog attack I suspect the majority of cases spray would be the best.

And when you use spray you'll probably get hit with a little of your own magic, especially if it's up close or even a tad bit windy.

Being hit by splatter/mist from spray is super annoying, but its about 5% of the fun of being hit directly in the face.

if you want to find out I can meet up with you and taze you. After you get up and yell about how much that hurt I'll hit you with spray and come back in 3 hours when your still screaming about your face [rofl]

OC is hell in a bottle. And it's not like 30 seconds of hell like a tazer. It's like 5 hours of being 100% miserable. And the 1st 30 minutes of it are really, really bad. OC gets very extreme retreat behavior out of the animals it hits, which is the hallmark of it. Every ounce of your body says "run away" and the entertaining part is it's next to impossible to keep your eyes open after theyve been sprayed, which is why there are so many videos of people running into things while trying to escape. [rofl]

Last edited:
I've seen it in Home Depot. Like, WTF?
Have seen them at Target, Kohls & BJs. Last week had an incident at the BigY grocery store (wasn't a service dog). Lowes hase signage that says they're pet friendly, the last HD I want into said no pets other than service animals.

Have seen them at Target, Kohls & BJs. Last week had an incident at the BigY grocery store (wasn't a service dog). Lowes hase signage that says they're pet friendly, the last HD I want into said no pets other than service animals.
I probably see 1 service dog for every 100 regular dogs in stores.

Back
Top Bottom