• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog allergic to reloading

I recently began reloading 308 with my old man. Today we resized and tumbled 50. I get home and clean em up with hand tools and prime them. After about an hour we notice the dogs left side of her face and her tongue is swelling and she's drooling.

After a lil bit we rush to the emergency vet. They look look her over, give her an injection. $170 later they say it was an allergic reaction to something but they don't know what. We've searched the house and thought about everything we did today and the only thing different was me working on the brass.

It must have been the resizing lube or the walnut media my dad uses in his tumbler but we don't really know. Looks like ill be changing some stuff and being more careful now. She is curled up on the couch sleeping now and will be closely watched for a few days.

Tumble out side away from everyone. Look carefully for a bite. Might have tried to eat a spider. My old dog would eat bees, get stung and off we go. Swollen face mouth and drool.

"Black Walnuts, native to Northeastern U.S. and Canada, are toxic to horses and dogs, but non-toxic to cats. And if you have a walnut tree in your neighborhood, know that dogs ingesting old walnuts off the ground have the potential to develop tremors and seizures from walnut hulls that are moldy and contain penitrem A.

One nut that is toxic to dogs? Macadamia nuts. They can cause hind end weakness, tremors, lethargy and hyperthermia in dogs."

http://www.pet360.com/dog/health/can-dogs-eat-walnuts/k7P5znB6dUa5-0N0Z9SQnw

Walnuts are no good for some animals, they are poisoness. Switch to wet tumbling. Much cleaner, media lasts forever and no worries about toxic dust in the air from the nuts/lead/etc.

Thanks everyone. I'm switching the media. I'm not sure about the lube since it was my dads and not mine, but I told him about it and we are gonna use something else.

She's a 5yr old Belgian Malinois

It may not be the reloading my Siberian had the same swollen face. After a trip to the vet, it turned out he was bitten by a spider.

It sounds more like a bite than a reaction to the media, but either way, I'm glad to hear she's better

Back
Top Bottom