• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does your club have a "no blue sky" system?

dixidawg

NES Member
We are investigating no blue sky systems for our rifle range and would like to reinvent that wheel as little as possible. Has your club done it?

Would they be willing to share details with us?

Got pictures?

Could some of us come take a look at yours and pick your brains a bit?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

wtf is that?

Baffles that prevent ANY shot from leaving the range. Basically, if you can't see the sky you can't shoot out of the range.

OCSA in Pembroke has a newly deployed No Blue Sky baffle. Massive, and expensive, I'm pretty sure it'll stop a 50BMG.

PM me if you want to check it out or meet it's designer. I'm sure he'd be game to share it's details.

Good gawd shhhh!!! Before my club catches wind of this!

Kidding, but only a little. Seems like it would be cost prohibitive. Why not build an indoor range and call it a day?

Edit- if required by insurance, better than losing the range. Curious about the cost...

Doesn't OCSA already have Mt. Rubbermore as a backstop?

Last edited:
Fairly common and getting more use on the south shore anyway. Ive seen it at several clubs. Some required by insurance etc.
Typically a slanted roof constructed of bullet stopping / slowing material that prevents errant shots from going skyward.
Have also seen a stone filled "Wall" set feet in front of the benches that prevents the same.

Angle Tree has stone boxes and metal eyebrows to create a no blue sky range. It has worked well since it was put in place in the late 80s.

I have seen one that is just a series of walls with openings you shoot threw. The idea is you can not shoot over the back stop. Made mostly of railroad ties or something similar.

Google rifle range baffles. Lots of pictures.

Last edited:
Wooden pilings, a'la a boat dock, placed about 20 feet apart. The pilings were bridged with dimensional 2x or 3x material, 10 or 12" tall, on the front and back.
The bottoms of the cavity is filled with similar material, with drilled drain holes, and the cavity filled with ground rubber.
The tops were then capped with rubber roof material to keep the majority of the rain out.
A second, similar wall is built some distance behind the first, to close the window exposed by bench shooters versus standing.

Both walls begin X feet off the ground.

I just looked - Georgetown is well over an hour away.
If I get out of work in the daylight, and can get to the club, I'll try to get pictures. Otherwise it'll be saturday.

wtf is that?

Fudd based range requirement. Or some clubs suck for them so they can reopen after an incident (that sometimes the club didn't even cause). It's a muffler vs bleating sheep.

We have one in Marshvegas:

null_64.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Sharon fish & game has baffles. They have no internet presence, so no idea how you'd get any info on them.

I have a no blue sky system already. It's called my trigger finger.

warwickben and I got interrogated one time at MRA for putting a nice hole through a baffle near the targets on their 50yd range. We had to go through how it was impossible to hit from the firing line and that someone was shooting down range.

****ing FUDD club.

If I was a member of a club talking about a system like this, I wouldn't be helping them research it. I'd tell them to take a hike and join a different club. Seriously.

If people at your range can't keep rounds on the berm, the solution is to KICK THEM OUT, not cater to them. If you can't keep rounds on the berm there's a 99% chance you're doing lots of other things that are very dangerous/stupid.

If I was a member of a club talking about a system like this, I wouldn't be helping them research it. I'd tell them to take a hike and join a different club. Seriously.

If people at your range can't keep rounds on the berm, the solution is to KICK THEM OUT, not cater to them. If you can't keep rounds on the berm there's a 99% chance you're doing lots of other things that are very dangerous/stupid.

And if my auntie had testicles she'd be my uncle.

OCSA has an elementary school and sports fields about 15 degrees off-axis and less than 3/4 mile away, built approximately 70 years after the club was incorporated. The one shot that gets a member thrown out may be the one projectile that makes the evening news and gets the club shut down.
Suburban ranges simply have no choice.
The fudds bitched about the cost, while I like our new baffles.

http://www.hhrg.org/outr.html

Here's what they have in Haverhill, MA.

Lets see some pics of that now that people have been shooting through the barrels for over a year. Lots of bullet holes all over the front of that thing now?

That is why I stopped being a member there.

Oh yeah, it looks like the Berlin wall with holes in it.

Last edited:

Kidding, but only a little. Seems like it would be cost prohibitive. Why not build an indoor range and call it a day?

Edit- if required by insurance, better than losing the range. Curious about the cost...

The wall at Old Colony is massive, heavy duty and looks like it will last a decade or 3?
Already has a few holes in it. Now if those holes where not intentional makes you wonder how many shots have made it over the berm over the years.
You will find in the future a,lot more clubs introducing more safety. Most clubs here in SE MA are 40plus years old and back then where in the boonies. Houses have sprung up right along the club's.
I,much rather have a club with in 20 min of me with "no blue sky " systems than just a indoor range and a club house.
Personally I would not mind 100-200 yard indoor range that was well lite. Problem is the lights would constantly get "shot out

Here is,old,colony baffle.....i prefer the wall vs the eye brow style.
https://sites.google.com/site/oldcolonysaweb/

Last edited:

Right. So would you hire gestapos to be there and watch every shot that goes down range? Or do you have another suggestion as to how to do this?

Lets see some pics of that now that people have been shooting through the barrels for over a year. Lots of bullet holes all over the front of that thing now?

That is why I stopped being a member there.

Oh yeah, it looks like the Berlin wall with holes in it.

So the question becomes...is it better to have bullet holes in the wall or potentially have rounds leaving the range?

"Accidents" happen, some due to negligence and a lot due to people who are relatively new shooters or new to the type of gun. The one time my PD decided to roll out a machine gun for us to get "familiar" with at a local gun club, rounds were going over the berm, that is a fact! There are houses alongside the club and a few on top of the berm to the right, none were there when the club was built in the 1930s, but from the 1950s onward lots of houses were built in what was previously nothing but woods.

Braintree R&P took the heat for rounds hitting a building 660yds downrange from the pistol range. NRA range experts, etc. determined that it really wasn't possible from the range, but the outdoor ranges were shutdown for >1 year while baffles were installed, berm raised and a requirement for ROs being present were all implemented.

Every report after one of our NES shoots includes claims of people shooting the ground in front of the target, shots going high (or over) the berm, etc. And those are all the "expert" shooters here on NES!!

And if my auntie had testicles she'd be my uncle.

OCSA has an elementary school and sports fields about 15 degrees off-axis and less than 3/4 mile away, built approximately 70 years after the club was incorporated. The one shot that gets a member thrown out may be the one projectile that makes the evening news and gets the club shut down.
Suburban ranges simply have no choice.
The fudds bitched about the cost, while I like our new baffles.

^^^^ This.

When I'm the RO on duty I see numerous new shooters who didn't get adequate training on safely handling guns, everything from sweeping the line, pointing it sideways or towards the sky, etc.

If all the clubs were still miles from buildings it wouldn't be such an issue, but reality is as jtnf and I stated, you can't stop encroachment unless you have the megabucks to buy up all the land within miles of a club!

The massive flying walls at OCSA cost just over $60k (mostly materials) IIRC, whereas a modern indoor center-fire range that can take rifle calibers and jacketed ammo is over $700k inflation adjusted (Tauntons new building, fifteen shooting lanes I believe??)

--Edit - Just re-read and saw your directed question... Yes, there are short berms in front of the 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard lines and the whole berm is covered in sneaker sole cutoffs (literally!) The top of the berm is also topped with two rows of 4x4x4 skids of rubber soles (banded somehow to keep them together.)
The obvious sneaker cutoffs look a little ghetto, but they are effective and were cheap.

Last edited:
Picture = 1000 words...

1570ish feet to the center of two soccer fields, less than 2000 feet to the front door of the elementary school.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ocsa01.jpg
    ocsa01.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 381
One club I know of requires you to shoot through an old railroad car that has a steel baffle welded inside at the top that's angled to deflect rounds down. I don't think you can even see the top of the berm when you look through it from the shooting benches. That may be a relatively inexpensive option, but I don't really know.

Last edited:
warwickben and I got interrogated one time at MRA for putting a nice hole through a baffle near the targets on their 50yd range. We had to go through how it was impossible to hit from the firing line and that someone was shooting down range.

****ing FUDD club.

I remember it different .
I thought he was sitting behind us when we where shooting our mosins and when we stopped he asked us to come down range to show us the bullets and asked us if we saw dumb asses to report them. I remember he was interested in my sported mosin .

I still have no idea how any one shot the top of the last one lol . You basically had to be down range and shooting up at it .

If you think a no-blue-sky system is cost prohibitive, then you haven't priced a 100-yard-long indoor range lately...

Back
Top Bottom