Does this solve the Saiga "sporting rifle problem"

Does this new stock from Saiga kind of solve the problem of a Saiga being a "sporting" rifle when you want an "evil" rifle? AND can I legally put one on a brand new Saiga ?

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Stocks/Saiga/Russian+Saiga+Skeletonized+Stock

SaigaStock.jpg

Last edited:
That is just a thumbhole stock so I don't think there is problem adding it. It is closer to a pistol grip than the sporter stock but not really there. That still has the grip is much farther from the trigger than it is with a real pistol grip set-up.

However, it isn't really a problem to get a pistol grip. You just have to replace the right number of parts with US made parts (which are improvments over the Russion parts anyways) and do the conversion. The conversion isn't tough to do yourself and it is something any gunsmith could do easily. I did my Saiga 12 conversion with no knowledge of AKs at all.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/ has pages and pages of the pistol grip conversion questions and covers all the parts compliance details.

I've seen some saigas coming WITH that stock out of the
box... so I would assume it's legal to put on there. (maybe not
that exact stock, but something that looks close to it... )

-Mike

I went from this:

Saiga308.jpg

To this with $60 and a screwdriver:

NewSaiga1.jpg

Ok so the scope and sling cost me an extra $175.

It is a Saiga stock with Russian paperwork and all. And yes you can buy them already outfitted with the Dragunov type so to me it must be legal.[thinking]

You ever see the Steyr USC? The AUG with the "thumbhole stock" that was imported and sold in very small numbers after the ban?

Talk about skirting the edges of the thumbhole stock definition.

You ever see the Steyr USC? The AUG with the "thumbhole stock" that was imported and sold in very small numbers after the ban?

Talk about skirting the edges of the thumbhole stock definition.

You can say they're skirting it; but IMO it was in compliance;
otherwise GSI or whoever the importer was at the time would not
have risked a boatload of cash to bring in the USRs. I think
eventually Clinton or someone signed some other line item EO on
them (like what he did to the PSG-1) that's why you don't see
them anymore. Rumor has it, however, that SMI is going to
start making the things domestically, or some other company.
I'm not holding my breath, though.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom