• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does this make my gun look fat?

polymer pistols are rated to handle up to a certain weight on the rail. it impacts both slide cycling and frame flex. would make sure that D cell maglite isn't above what the HK45 polymer can handle.

polymer pistols are rated to handle up to a certain weight on the rail. it impacts both slide cycling and frame flex. would make sure that D cell maglite isn't above what the HK45 polymer can handle.

I've never heard this or seen anything about it in any pistol review or specs, could you please provide some info or links, thanks.

as usual, google will bring most the answers, but i'll write it out anyway:

well established with glocks. specifically the .40S&W models G22/23. folks get cycling issues with TLR-1's attached. it was a major issues for several LE agencies and probably more that never got announced. the issue is presumably shortened slide cycling time (makes perfect sense) which can be bandaid'ed by tighter magazine springs. this was one of the reasons for glock to switch to a dual RSA on the gen4 as it provides more uniform force on the slide and thus slows down slide velocity a bit.

overall manufacturers do not publish these types of specific info. i can assure you that HK has tested the HK45 with accessories attached to the rail and can attest to what weight limits the HK45 has passed their testing. now whether they will share it I don't know. on the M&P 2.0, S&W extended the internal steel rails forward into the light rail which was to add rigidity to the frame up front on the rail. S&W clearly knows something about the first gen model or else they woudln't bother spending $$ to re-do the lower. i am not sure if HK's lowers have reinforcement up near the rail. i've not heard of such. however the HK polymer pistols are also very low mass frame designs (similar to a glock). the USP/P2000/P30/HK45 frames are all very lightweight. thus they may be more prone to similar issues as the glock gen 3's.

Can a tactical light affect Glock reliability?

Last edited:
as usual, google will bring most the answers, but i'll write it out anyway:

well established with glocks. specifically the .40S&W models G22/23. folks get cycling issues with TLR-1's attached. it was a major issues for several LE agencies and probably more that never got announced. the issue is presumably shortened slide cycling time (makes perfect sense) which can be bandaid'ed by tighter magazine springs. this was one of the reasons for glock to switch to a dual RSA on the gen4 as it provides more uniform force on the slide and thus slows down slide velocity a bit.

overall manufacturers do not publish these types of specific info. i can assure you that HK has tested the HK45 with accessories attached to the rail and can attest to what weight limits the HK45 has passed their testing. now whether they will share it I don't know. on the M&P 2.0, S&W extended the internal steel rails forward into the light rail which was to add rigidity to the frame up front on the rail. S&W clearly knows something about the first gen model or else they woudln't bother spending $$ to re-do the lower. i am not sure if HK's lowers have reinforcement up near the rail. i've not heard of such. however the HK polymer pistols are also very low mass frame designs (similar to a glock). the USP/P2000/P30/HK45 frames are all very lightweight. thus they may be more prone to similar issues as the glock gen 3's.

Can a tactical light affect Glock reliability?
I did not think of that but I will see when I hit the range after work. The light is not very heavy and uses two CR123 batteries.

Guns & Ammo was running some video segments from a high speed camera, showing how much polymer handguns flexed during recoil. I don't recall which model it was, but it flexed a LOT.

Back
Top Bottom