• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does this make me a bad person?

basscatfrank

NES Member
I admit it. I bought a cheap gun.

I've been wanting to try skeet shooting again, something I haven't done in many years. And for this go around, I wanted an O/U. Now I am well aware of the "you get what you pay for" platitudes but I wasn't going to spend $1000 or more on a gun I may not use very often and I didn't want used. After doing some research I decided on this.

89647.jpg

It's an ATI Cavalry 12ga O/U with a 28" barrel. It looks and feels good, a little light perhaps. The fit and finish is OK, I didn't see a tool marks. The action is a little stiff but I'm sure that will loosen up as it's broken in. The stock is a good looking walnut and the receiver is engraved.

3984870_04_ati_kofs_cavalry_sx_12_gauge_o_640.jpg

It came with 5 choke tubes and a lifetime warranty. The online reviews I found were mostly positive with the most negative ones coming from people who didn't own one but stated that it must be no good because it didn't cost enough. I'll update this after I get a chance to shoot it.

If you are happy with your purchase that's what matters. But if you really care what others think, buy me one and I will tell people that you are a good person.

You need to repent for your sins.

I will be glad to pick up this gun to cleanse your soul.

I bought the exact gun in 2014 for my 14 year old son to use for trap. It is a fine gun for skeet and trap, and being a field, or hunting, shotgun will shoot flat or low compared to a trap/skeet gun. Think hidden target instead of being able to see the clay when pulling the trigger. You will most likely have a problem or two with broken firing pins/springs, but that is an easy fix and is very common on this grade gun manufactured in Turkey. Also, be aware this is meant as a relatively low round count gun. My son probably put close to 6,000 shells through his before the receiver completely wore out and could no longer be opened. It went back June of 2015 and we are still waiting on its return. Now it was not at the company all that time, it was in limbo at the LGS where it was purchased for a number of months. Time will tell what the outcome will be.

With reasonable care you should get years of enjoyment from this. We killed ours in about a year. He now shoots a Browning and is a far better trappist than I am.

I admit it. I bought a cheap gun.

I've been wanting to try skeet shooting again, something I haven't done in many years. And for this go around, I wanted an O/U. Now I am well aware of the "you get what you pay for" platitudes but I wasn't going to spend $1000 or more on a gun I may not use very often and I didn't want used. After doing some research I decided on this.

89647.jpg

It's an ATI Cavalry 12ga O/U with a 28" barrel. It looks and feels good, a little light perhaps. The fit and finish is OK, I didn't see a tool marks. The action is a little stiff but I'm sure that will loosen up as it's broken in. The stock is a good looking walnut and the receiver is engraved.

3984870_04_ati_kofs_cavalry_sx_12_gauge_o_640.jpg

It came with 5 choke tubes and a lifetime warranty. The online reviews I found were mostly positive with the most negative ones coming from people who didn't own one but stated that it must be no good because it didn't cost enough. I'll update this after I get a chance to shoot it.

I have one in 20g. I use it for pheasant hunting. It's a great gun, very light. I never miss with it and if it gets beat up I'm not going nuts like my silver pigeon or red label. Enjoy it.

It's a break open fart gun (the type of firearm least likely to fail.if cheap) thats not even semi, for recreational purposes. ... hard to flame someone skinflinting on this, long as it works for you thats all that matters. If you find it inadequate youll probably upgrade and keep it as a spare.

A lot of times we drag out the old single shot POS H&R to shoot clays with .
The fun part is after the guy with the $3000.00 Browning who kind of sneered misses 3 out of 5 , the kid steps up and nails 5 out of 5 with it.
If it fits your budget and you like the thing, have fun with it.

Shoot it,enjoy it and if you miss blame the cheap gun.

By the way it looks nice.

Buying a $2000 O/u won't make you a better clays shooter unless $1000 of that is for custom stock fitting. A higher priced O/U will likely buy you longevity and some bragging rights but little more.

FWIW, I have six O/U shotguns costing from $350 to $2100. Yes, there are quality and fit and finish differences but I've yet to wear any of them out . In truth, I tend to shoot the $350 Remington/Bakil better than my hi end Franchi. Why, because it fits me better.
Also FWIW, I have an ATI Calvary in .410. I believe it's an awful lot of gun for the $.
Now stop apologizing for the gun and go out and seek the orange dust!

That thing is a beauty for a "cheap" shotgun. I have a Remington spartan 310 (manufactured by Baikal, Russia), cheap and not a "looker" but it's built like a tank.
Performs equally if not better than some of the expensive (look at what I can afford) shotguns.

it's a nice looking gun. I like the O/U. I like the style. I can't bring myself to paying 2600 or so for a browning. Probably worth it to look at but to use....anything I take to the range get used...looks used and is used. If it shoots good and you can hit clays with it then who cares.

When I had a boat I used to take friends out with me. Friends that didn't own a boat.....I had a chaparral...not a top of the line boat but a nice boat. Got me and the family out there and always brought us back. They used to see people in bayliners and laugh at them. Then I would ask..."oh, what kind of boat do you have?" they didn't laugh that much anymore.

Again, if it works well and you can hit targets with it then I would say you got a great gun. And if you can't hit targets with it you probably still got a great gun but you're not that good of a shooter....lol I fall into the latter category....lmao

Yea... I own a hi point pistol, 2 carbines, a maverick over/under, and a nagant (pistol and rifles)... I love cheap guns. If I could get a raven dirt cheap I would just to have one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you have to ask the question the answer is just about always YES!!! [laugh]

As to the O/U, not bad at all. I picked up a used Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U a few years back for a couple hundred bucks. They have terrible reviews but I added some new firing pins, changed the chokes and she shoots pretty well. Pretty happy with it so far.

I don't know this brand, but if it is Turkish made it is most likely a very decent shotgun. Turks have been making good shotguns for decades.

There is no reason to own any firearm on the basis of snob appeal. Budget grade firearms decently constructed are fully serviceable. What's important is that you like the gun and it does the job for you. Look at the success of Hi Point. In decades past Iver Johnson, H&R and others were budget guns that filled a niche and offered value at very affordable price.

You are not a bad person for owning your brand of shotgun.

I forgot to mention in my first post that this $500 shotgun does look good and handles very well. My son got his first 25 with it the round before it gave up the ghost. Timely I would say. We are looking forward to getting it back as I shoot a field gun for trap too.

I forgot to mention in my first post that this $500 shotgun does look good and handles very well. My son got his first 25 with it the round before it gave up the ghost. Timely I would say. We are looking forward to getting it back as I shoot a field gun for trap too.

Yea... my maverick o/u was like $190 with shipping... still shoots better then I do :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I shoot skeet with a ~100 year old sidexside and break the clays pretty reliably.

Other shooters will sometimes comment on how well I do, I tell them it's the fancy gun............ [smile]

I've always laughed at people that spend big bucks on a shotgun then brag that it "swings well" and "mounts really nice". [rofl]. I mean, fit and balance is dependent on the size and shape of the shooter and can be achieved in a very cheap gun. But I guess when you can't brag about accuracy you have to brag about something when you spend that much money[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom