• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does this brass have any value?

I am cleaning out my cellar. I take care of my 92 year old father with Alzheimer's and dementia and I am disabled (shoulders).

I have no idea how much is here but I guess I could count them if it is worth my time.

brass.jpg

And this is the headstamp on one of them. There is probably others mixed in but all are 10-20 years old and I believe all have crimped primer pockets?

headstamp.jpg

It does to somebody. A little tumbling will make them look brand new.
Just hold on, someone will contact you with interest for that.
I can't tell if that's 5.56x45mm or 7.62x52mm, but you should be able to get 5¢ a piece for 5.56 and 10¢ a piece for 7.62; thereabouts.

Going to guess but 5.56 doesn't look like a crimped pocket but the picture isn't clear. You could weight it Its like 70 to a pound. Its worth something to someone. Especially in the market right now

Going to guess but 5.56 doesn't look like a crimped pocket but the picture isn't clear. You could weight it Its like 70 to a pound. Its worth something to someone. Especially in the market right now

I tried a few times and was the best picture I could get. If there is actual value and worth my time I will count them.

The big concern would be how many times it had been reloaded. If the primer pockets are crimped, it's once-fired. Someone will want it.

It's at least twice fired based on the primer. LC should have a bronze primer with a crimp.

TBH, I'd recycle it.

I have some once fired LC 30-06 already processed (sized, crimp removed) if anyone wants some from a reliable source.

Hard to say, but looks like OP's brass is 308.

Yeah, that silver primer leads one to believe this brass has been reloaded already. Are there manufacturers using silver colored primers? Maybe? That said, the cases may still be showing the case mouth discoloration from annealing, which would lead me to believe they are once fired.

In any case, they have value- either for reloading or as brass scrap.

Yeah, that silver primer leads one to believe this brass has been reloaded already. Are there manufacturers using silver colored primers? Maybe?
Yes, I have some PPU that's had silver primers.
The pic in this case is clearly Lake City, though.

It's at least twice fired based on the primer. LC should have a bronze primer with a crimp.

TBH, I'd recycle it.

I have some once fired LC 30-06 already processed (sized, crimp removed) if anyone wants some from a reliable source.

Hard to say, but looks like OP's brass is 308.
Looks like some mixed brass to me. Probably range pickups if he was storing them like that. Or possibly stuff he fired and didn’t get around to sorting.
I would see what the scrap yard is getting for brass, then offer them in the classifieds for 5 cents a pound more.
With unknown history and unknown mix the value goes down.
If you spent the time sorting and counting you still have brass with unknown history.

I have never re-loaded rifle ammunition. I have never bought reloaded ammunition. All of this should’ve been brand new ammo that I purchased and fired once since I don’t reload rifle ammunition? I guess I could’ve picked up someone else’s bra(ss) at the range by accident and that’s the one that I took the picture of?

Bunch of wise asses LOL!

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it’s not worth enough to bother with.

Last edited:
I live in Brockton Massachusetts. I will give that box of brass free to anyone that’s willing to come pick it up.

since I am offering this free is there a better place on this forum to post that?

I don't see any 5.56 in that bin. I see mostly 30 cal (30-06 and 7.62) and some 45ACP. All the primers I see look to be bronze colored, which would be right for LC once fired. The one with the silver primer is almost certainly reloaded.

I live in Brockton Massachusetts. I will give that box of brass free to anyone that’s willing to come pick it up.

since I am offering this free is there a better place on this forum to post that?

someone claim this before I make an unscheduled drive to Brockton tomorrow morning

Certainly a mix, but worth it for someone close by to pick through for once fired. If there are LC cases with brass colored primers and the annealing discoloration is still there at the neck & shoulder, I would personally assume those to be once fired. YRMV...

I don't see any 5.56 in that bin. I see mostly 30 cal (30-06 and 7.62) and some 45ACP. All the primers I see look to be bronze colored, which would be right for LC once fired. The one with the silver primer is almost certainly reloaded.

There might be a random .45 or .308 (and I want to keep those) but it is mostly .556

Back
Top Bottom