Does shotgun ammo expire?

JFR2

Army Veteran
NES Member
I bought my Grandparent's house last year. In the basement, I found several boxes of old Sears shotgun shells (pic below). Do these things expire? I'm guessing these are from the middle to late 1960's. Externally, they appear to be perfect condition. I'm wondering if they'd be ok in my Rem 870.

IMG_0778.jpg

-JR

Powders can go bad and become unstable over time. I'd keep the boxes in tact for their historical significance.

People collect old ammo and boxes, especially ones that look that good.

I suspect that this ammo is probably good to shoot, given it's physical condition. However I'd be inclined to first explore the collectibles possibilities before trying it.

You should see some of the stuff the boys shoot on top if the hill at Southborough; if it appears ok outside, it's probably ok; just be cautious.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll look into finding collectors while they serve as last-resort SHTF backup.

-JR

You should write a letter to Sears customer service include a picture and ask them if the ammo is OK to use.[rofl] Then ask if they still sell ammo as you'd like to purchase more.[smile]

I have shot stuff older than that and the stuff I shot was not nearly in that good of condition (poorly stored in damp conditions) Really, the danger is not so much in having it explode...it is having it be a dud. Modern smokeless powder does not get more unstable with time, just the opposite, it gets more stable...ie it won't burn sufficiently if not properly stored. Being stored in a cartridge is actually a very good way since it is sealed very well from moisture and contaminates. Shoot them without reservation...but as stated above...they may be worth more as a collectable.

Wouldn't hesitate to shoot it as long as it isn't collectable. I have some Sears .30 carbine JHPs - if they don't work, I'm taking the box back to Sears and demanding a refund [laugh]

You should write a letter to Sears customer service include a picture and ask them if the ammo is OK to use.[rofl] Then ask if they still sell ammo as you'd like to purchase more.[smile]

I was thinking of the Craftsman tools, where you can exchange with no questions asked.

That said, I've shot paper hulled ones with some tarnish on the brass.

If the hulls look to be in good shape and have no damage or markings indicating they got wet and the primers are clean and free of corrosion then they are likely ok to shoot.

That said depending on age and type of powder used they could be bad due to the powder itself.

If you have any doubt as to there integrity I would find a buyer for them and buy new shells chances are if you find the right buyer you will end up with more new then you had old.

Pending if the ammo has an collectors value I would shoot it. Some trap shooters I used to shoot with sought out paper hulls,they claim the felt recoil was lower.

Back
Top Bottom