• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

does my LTC become void when I move to NH

Title says it all.. Probably a stupid question but oh how simple it would make my life. Moving to NH at the end of the month but still work in MA and have a lot of friends and family here so would like to continue carrying. If not guess Ill have to buy some knee pads and get a Non-Res..

Once you have the new address in NH, the MA license is NFG. You'll have to apply for an out of state license (and go through all that pain)... IMO, not worth it. If it's worth it all to you, go for it.

My understanding is that your license will become "Expired". That is a really good thing and might save your ass someday. Hang on to the old card.

Last edited:
It's important as well that you still send the change of address letters, just like you would if you were moving within MA.

I've heard stories of people that don't, and when they go for a non-res or come back to MA (don't know why they ever would) they get disqualified because they haven't sent the notification.

Nowhere in the law does it say anything about inter-state moves vs. intra-state moves.

Here's the form:

http://goal.org/Documents/frb_change_address.pdf

Here's the goal page on it:

http://goal.org/masslawpages/moving.html

Note the part at the bottom of the goal page that mentions moving out of state.

Can't hurt.

Last edited:
Title says it all.. Probably a stupid question but oh how simple it would make my life. Moving to NH at the end of the month but still work in MA and have a lot of friends and family here so would like to continue carrying. If not guess Ill have to buy some knee pads and get a Non-Res..

Yes it does, but only if you tell them about it. (unfortunately, as required by the 30 day move notification rule. ) No, I'm not kidding. There is nothing under MGL that forces revocation of an LTC, but from an administrative aspect, EOPS believes that LTCs become invalid if someone suddenly becomes a non-resident, so they kill the license if someone reports that they are
moving out of state.

-Mike

Yes it does, but only if you tell them about it. (unfortunately, as required by the 30 day move notification rule. ) No, I'm not kidding. There is nothing under MGL that forces revocation of an LTC, but from an administrative aspect, EOPS believes that LTCs become invalid if someone suddenly becomes a non-resident, so they kill the license if someone reports that they are
moving out of state.

-Mike

So are you saying that leaving the state without notification, then returning to the state ... is not a violation that would trigger revocation or be grounds for non-renewal? Sorry, I'm still a little hazy on this.

It's important as well that you still send the change of address letters, just like you would if you were moving within MA.

I've heard stories of people that don't, and when they go for a non-res or come back to MA (don't know why they ever would) they get disqualified because they haven't sent the notification.

Nowhere in the law does it say anything about inter-state moves vs. intra-state moves.

Here's the form:

http://goal.org/Documents/frb_change_address.pdf

Here's the goal page on it:

Information for moving within state.

Note the part at the bottom of the goal page that mentions moving out of state.

Can't hurt.

I did this when I moved from MA to NH in 2001, (did not bother to send the third form to nashua), and when I came back in 2008, it was a renewal instead of a new application. I know no one ever plans on coming back to MA, but you never know what can happen.

Just to note:

- There is no requirement to use any form, you can write a letter and as long as you have the LTC/FID #, moved from and moved to info by Certified Mail, it's all good.
- No requirement to send photocopies of your LTC/FID or return the original.
- No requirement to notify or send anything to your new town if it is Not in MA!! In this case you only send 2 letters out.

Just to note:

- There is no requirement to use any form, you can write a letter and as long as you have the LTC/FID #, moved from and moved to info by Certified Mail, it's all good.
- No requirement to send photocopies of your LTC/FID or return the original.
- No requirement to notify or send anything to your new town if it is Not in MA!! In this case you only send 2 letters out.

Still a little confused on one issue. If you move out of state and fail to make notification, then return to the state prior to LTC expiration, is the LTC still valid? Or have you committed a violation that exposes you to revocation?

Another tidbit - MGL provides that carry on an "expired" license is a civil, not a criminal offense, unless the license was revoked for any reason except failure to change address. So, even if you fail to change address, and are caught, you do not lose this valuable protection.

The "automatically void when you move" is a "fill in the blank because it is obvious conclusion" but NONE of the people making that assertion have been able to cite a law, precedent, or court decision - though some cite that "a cop said so".

Still a little confused on one issue. If you move out of state and fail to make notification, then return to the state prior to LTC expiration, is the LTC still valid? Or have you committed a violation that exposes you to revocation?

This is clear in the statute. Like you stated and I bolded.

Back
Top Bottom