Does Henry Big Boy .357 jam when using .38 Special?

barnabus

NES Member
I'm thinking about buying a Henry Big Boy .357/.38 Special and I've seen some reports of .38 special jamming.

If anyone owns this rifle I'd like to know if you have experienced this issue.

thx

I never had any issues firing .38s out of my big boy. I got some hang ups with .38s and .357s when I first got the rifle and I was cycling the action a little too hard as I was new to lever action guns. I don't know if I would consider it a jam as I would just have to wiggle the action forcefully back and forth and then it would be fine. But that happened like twice and now I've got the feel for the right amout of force needed. I've shot about 150 .38s and probably like 250-300 .357s since then without any jams. One issue I have noticed with .38s is with accuracy. My shots with .38s are sometime all over the place at 100 yards but .357s are always dead on at that distance. Might have been the ammo or just the slower speed of the .38s compared to the .357s?

I would highly recommend purchasing one it's an awesome gun. It is kind of heavy and I don't like the way you load it compared to a Marlin or Rossi but the finish and quality on the Henry is incredible and so is their customer service. I got mine in June of last year and threw on a scope mount and a cheap Barska 3-9x40 scope, fun shooter.

Here is a couple threads I started about mine last year:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-a-Henry-Big-Boy-357!?highlight=henry+big+boy

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ate-Henry-Big-Boy-357?highlight=henry+big+boy

Last edited:
I never had any issues firing .38s out of my big boy. I got some hang ups with .38s and .357s when I first got the rifle and I was cycling the action a little too hard as I was new to lever action guns. I don't know if I would consider it a jam as I would just have to wiggle the action forcefully back and forth and then it would be fine. But that happened like twice and now I've got the feel for the right amout of force needed. I've shot about 150 .38s and probably like 250-300 .357s since then without any jams. One issue I have noticed with .38s is with accuracy. My shots with .38s are sometime all over the place at 100 yards but .357s are always dead on at that distance. Might have been the ammo or just the slower speed of the .38s compared to the .357s?

I would highly recommend purchasing one it's an awesome gun. It is kind of heavy and I don't like the way you load it compared to a Marlin or Rossi but the finish and quality on the Henry is incredible and so is their customer service. I got mine in June of last year and threw on a scope mount and a cheap Barska 3-9x40 scope, fun shooter.

Here is a couple threads I started about mine last year:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-a-Henry-Big-Boy-357!?highlight=henry+big+boy

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ate-Henry-Big-Boy-357?highlight=henry+big+boy

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

It is good to hear from someone that actually owns the rifle.

A Henry Big-Boy is on my short list. I'm looking for a .44 Mag one though.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem, but Henry does have a ridiculously good warranty. Call there and you will get an answer and results.

Yeah. I heard they have great customer service. A guy posted a youtube video saying that they tried to fix his rifle and then sent him a new one. However, he still had trouble with it, so they gave him his money back.

I might be buying a gift for myself in the next month or two. [grin]

Sign up for notifications on grabagun.com. That's what I did and got a great price on mine last year.

I would highly recommend purchasing one it's an awesome gun. It is kind of heavy and I don't like the way you load it compared to a Marlin or Rossi

Really ???
I have many lever guns and that's one of my favorite features of the Big Boy.
I find it easier than loading via the side gate on the 92's & 94's, and no pinched fingertips.
Also, just like tube fed .22's, if you need to unload the gun, just pull the tube and dump them out, no need to cycle every round through the action.

I own a 357 big boy. No problems with 38 at all. And like zappa said, tube is a plus. But why 38? Shoot 357 all the time :). That's the main reason I got into reloading.

I own a 357 big boy. No problems with 38 at all. And like zappa said, tube is a plus. But why 38? Shoot 357 all the time :). That's the main reason I got into reloading.

Thanks. I'm going to have to pick one up.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I ran into a problem with my Henry Big Boy .357.

Earlier tonight, I decided to put some .38 special snap caps into the rifle so I can get a feel for the action. Well, it is locked open and I can't budge it. I'm afraid to force it close.

Is this similar to the problems the OP mentioned he heard about?

At this point, I'm bringing it to the shop I bought it at and see if they can tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it.

The only real issue I saw before this, getting the brass tube to unlock and remove was quote difficult and I had to use opposite torque while turning the tube to get it out.

Thanks guys!

I have had experience with the Marlin .357 lever rifle, and the Rossi 92. The thing to understand is .38's are not all the same; having enough overall length is kind of important. obviously if you try to feed wadcutters you will lose. In some cases flat nose .38 is too short and will cause trouble, like ejecting the live round instead of feeding it. I always use round nose .38 now. I've had good luck with American Eagle lead round nose. Just try some different brands and stick with the one that works.

My brother just picked one up. In fact it arrived today at his dealer and picked it up right away. He is as happy as a little kid on Christmas morning. Has not taken it to the range yet. But he loves the action. I have a .22 Henry and it is a fun plinking gun.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I ran into a problem with my Henry Big Boy .357.

Earlier tonight, I decided to put some .38 special snap caps into the rifle so I can get a feel for the action. Well, it is locked open and I can't budge it. I'm afraid to force it close.

At this point, I'm bringing it to the shop I bought it at and see if they can tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it.

The only real issue I saw before this, getting the brass tube to unlock and remove was quote difficult and I had to use opposite torque while turning the tube to get it out.

Thanks guys!

Typically when a lever gun jams open, it's because a round slipped past the stop mechanism in the magazine tube and slid underneath the lifter, which prevents the lifter from lowering back into battery position. Proper rim size is critical to correct functioning of lever actions, plastic snap caps aren't made to the same exacting tolerances as real ammo, and not meant to be cycled through a lever action. Snap caps are fine for use in revolvers, or singly in a semi-auto, bolt or lever action for dry firing purposes only.

Thanks guys!

I never did buy the Henry. However, the original post/question was after checking out google and youtube. I believe these were a couple of the youtube videos that I found back in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTMEzhYjjl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3NSYzIV3TY

Good Luck

Typically when a lever gun jams open, it's because a round slipped past the stop mechanism in the magazine tube and slid underneath the lifter, which prevents the lifter from lowering back into battery position. Proper rim size is critical to correct functioning of lever actions, plastic snap caps aren't made to the same exacting tolerances as real ammo, and not meant to be cycled through a lever action. Snap caps are fine for use in revolvers, or singly in a semi-auto, bolt or lever action for dry firing purposes only.
These were metal snap caps...

I'm thinking about buying a Henry Big Boy .357/.38 Special and I've seen some reports of .38 special jamming.

If anyone owns this rifle I'd like to know if you have experienced this issue.

thx
I purchased a .357 bigboy last year. Mine does jam randomly with .38 special or +p ammo. I have had to shoot those due to not being able to find .357 mag ammo. In any event most of the time when it does jam it is on the very last round in the magazine. That said not I have to be smarter not reload prior to last round. This has been happening routinely. Many guns are different. On mine the jam is bad. Not easy to clear and as a result of sticking a screw driver in the receiver to try and wiggle the round loose, I have managed to scratch the pretty brass side. Henry should disclose to all that these rifles MAY jam with .38 ammo vs promoting they fire .38 ammo.

I purchased a .357 bigboy last year. Mine does jam randomly with .38 special or +p ammo. I have had to shoot those due to not being able to find .357 mag ammo. In any event most of the time when it does jam it is on the very last round in the magazine. That said not I have to be smarter not reload prior to last round. This has been happening routinely. Many guns are different. On mine the jam is bad. Not easy to clear and as a result of sticking a screw driver in the receiver to try and wiggle the round loose, I have managed to scratch the pretty brass side. Henry should disclose to all that these rifles MAY jam with .38 ammo vs promoting they fire .38 ammo.

Necro thread, but .357 Mag is available everywhere.

etc etc etc

Welcome to the forum, Jethro!

I don't know if this has always been the case, but I believe now Henry does state in their owner's manual that when using .38 ammo, that you should only use the 158 grain variety. As one or two others mentioned above, the overall length of the cartridge matters when trying to feed them. In fact, the same very much applies to modern Winchesters as well, and others, I'm sure. Winchester .357 lever guns actually say right on the barrel ".357 Mag Only".

Frank

The owners manual says only use 157 gr .38. The lighter loads overall length is slightly shorter than a .157 gr and thus doesn’t feed properly

Back
Top Bottom