Does anyone wear a concealed carry jacket?

I like the Sig jacket, but I also wear the similar Carharrt jackets so it didn't seem heavy to me.

I actually own the SIG jacket. I like it - I bought it because I liked the styling and the price was right. I HAVE used the carry pockets but I'm not a fan. I've a P239 in 9 (i.e. small gun) and that feels like a brick after about 1/2 hour (very little support offered). I cary it IWB and the jacket's nice because it's low waisted enough to cover but easy to get at the gun if it's needed.

Sure the jacket is heavy but it's canvas and fleece so it's going to be heavy. That's just the style. It's no worse then other similar ones.

I wear one of the Sig jackets. It is heavy, but it's also very warm. You can also walk around with two 8" X-frames in it without anybody noticing.

It seems like a good idea but what do you do when you go inside and need to remove the coat?

It's sort like a woman carrying her gun in her purse. She has to find a place to stash it securely or switch to on body carry somehow.

Seems like if you need to switch to on body carry, you might as well keep it there all the time.

Maybe for a walk in the woods it would be ok but I can't imagine too many times when you wouldn't be taking the jacket off sooner or later.

It seems like a good idea but what do you do when you go inside and need to remove the coat?

It's sort like a woman carrying her gun in her purse. She has to find a place to stash it securely or switch to on body carry somehow.

Seems like if you need to switch to on body carry, you might as well keep it there all the time.

Maybe for a walk in the woods it would be ok but I can't imagine too many times when you wouldn't be taking the jacket off sooner or later.

Quick errands like a run to the store or something otherwise I carry IWB

What about a concealed carry vest under a winter coat? NRA offers two different versions, this one for casual wear, and this one, which is a little dressier.

I own one of the second types. Neither one is going to be as fast as a holster draw, but they offer you the ability to remove your outer coat and still keep your gun fully concealed on your person. Nice if you go out to a function and want to check your heavy winter coat at the door. I have no trouble carrying a full size 9mm in mine. I use the vest mostly in the winter. It also gives you easier access to your gun when you're driving in your car.

The Sig jacket seems heavy to me too, and the comparison to Carhartt is dead on. If you like that sort of thing (for me, depends on the day), then it seems like a nice jacket. I tried one on while at a Sig class, but didn't buy it, but I have considered it since.

In the fall / winter, I wear a fleece vest on a normal basis. I wish I could find a fleece vest with an internal shoulder carry rig, but I haven't been able to find one yet, but a vest would work well for me - No one pays any mind to me wearing a vest.

I also have one of the canvas concealled carry jackets (not the sig design) which does work well, though the "universal" pistol pockets are cavernous and swallow up a smaller framed pistol. They're good for my Glock 20 (haven't tried my S&W X-frame like EC)

While a IWB is better for general carry, it is a little more limiting in size. My concealled carry jacket let's me carry a larger frame than I can comfortable in an IWB.

Another consideration of a carry jacket would be to just use it to carry spare magazines. When I go hiking, I tend to carry 2 spares in a weak-side mag holder. The jacket I have has pockets for 2 weapons plus 4 magazines. Even if you don't carry additional handguns, it provides lots of space for magazines (of course, if I need to go for a 4th magazines, things have already gone VERY VERY bad)

If your carry gun is small and has lower capacity, this can be useful. It can also be useful to add a second firearm of larger caliber when the jacket is appropriate.

To others who have worn Jackets/Vest, how would you compare them to a typical jacket + shoulder rig?

Comfort of Wear
Concealability
Ease of Draw
Possibility of "flashing"

Just Curious

To others who have worn Jackets/Vest, how would you compare them to a typical jacket + shoulder rig?

Comfort of Wear
Concealability
Ease of Draw

Just Curious

Comfort - MUCH lower then a shoulder rig - very little support
Concealability - much higher then a shoulder rig. 'hidden' pocket - you can have the thing wide open and not show

Ease of Draw - whole extra step of opening the velcro - shoulder rig gets the nod

Possibility of flashing - almost nil. It's a sealed pocket.

I wear one of the Sig jackets. It is heavy, but it's also very warm. You can also walk around with two 8" X-frames in it without anybody noticing.

A close friend of mine used his to keep his 629 power port warm between relays at a very, very cold pin shoot we had last spring. [laugh]

-Mike

Comfort of Wear
Concealability
Ease of Draw

Just Curious

Dislike wearing suit jacket, so shoulder holsters are not an option for me. That said, I did buy and try a number of them back in the 1970s (where suit jackets were expected wear when going out evenings).

Only the Jackass shoulder holster was comfortable. No other shoulder holster worked (didn't cut in under the armpits) and this was with either a PPK/s or Colt Det. Spcl (not big guns).

That said, I've tried a Coronado vest and a 5.11 denim jacket.

Coronado vest - works very well for many guns, definitely conceals well (no flashing possible if used properly), heavy and well made. I just don't wear a vest real often. Some guns had the front gun sight in the elastic band, slowing draw considerably . . . most guns weren't a problem however (it's a height and shape issue wrt the sight).

5.11 denim jacket works with a carrier kit for all sorts of stuff. I think that I tried the holster carrier around the house but never carried it that way. I do use the jacket when out working, but put cuffs, OC, flashlight and cell phone in the pockets instead. Good for the 50F days we're having now. If you use the holster carrier, the only way the gun may become visible would be if it fell out while doing cartwheels! [laugh] I'm too old and heavy to do cartwheels w/o risk of injury, so it's a non-issue. YMMV

Why not just keep the gun in a holster and wear a non-concealed carry cover garment (e.g., vest, un-tucked shirt, sweater, etc.) over your your gun?

That could work in many cases. The un-tucked shirt wouldn't work in a more formal setting. The sweater might be good. A concealed carry vest would probably rate higher on the concealed part, though. A lot depends on the gun and holster combination.

Open carry would solve a lot of the issues. [wink]

+1 News Shooter. Thanks for bringing this topic up. I was looking for something exactly like this Sig jacket. In fact I just odered one at the Sig web page. It seems they have a fair price. Usually they price out high on their own stuff. Got chocolate colored one.

Last edited:
+1 News Shooter. Thanks for bringing this topic up. I was looking for something exactly like this Sig jacket. In fact I just odered one at the Sig web page. It seems they have a fair price. Usually they price out high on their won stuff. Got chocolate colored one.

Ditto. Looking and now found, chocolate ordered as well. Did you happen to get any promotional discount codes for registering? I didn't bother as I get bombarded with enough spam emails to add my email address to other list...

Ditto. Looking and now found, chocolate ordered as well. Did you happen to get any promotional discount codes for registering? I didn't bother as I get bombarded with enough spam emails to add my email address to other list...

I don't think I registered. Didn't get any discounts anyway. Chocolate too, huh? We'll look like twin turds.[smile]

I have the Sig jacket in black and wear it often. It fades pretty quick. Carrying the 239 with it ain't bad but not great. 229 and 220 is awkward. I have the S&W leather jacket that is like wearing a brick. the retention is no where near the Sig. Frankly it's not there and I hate it.

Both are very warm.

Why not just keep the gun in a holster and wear a non-concealed carry cover garment (e.g., vest, un-tucked shirt, sweater, etc.) over your your gun?

No kidding, that's my normal dress mode about 95% of the year.

If I have to wear a tucked-in shirt, I'll wear a sport coat over it. Wearing one over jeans and casual shoes makes you invisible in a crowd. It also hides some serious hardware without print.

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

Jose, it's so BIG!

Jose, we've all seen so many shots of your waist and beltline, that we all think we could pick you out in a line up.

I just noticed something though... and it's really BIG. And I DON'T mean your Mod 29 on your hip.

You have a BIG Bathroom! Nice storage and closet space there too. Since we see little bits of your bathroom in all your pictures, we're all getting to know your "special places" more and more![smile][laugh2]

Back on topic, I have no experience with the Sig jackets, but I did pick up a 5.11 vest a few years ago. WICKED heavy without anything in it, and you could use it alone as a bludgeon tool. The hidden pistol pocket held the gun too low and tough to get at. It was great to carry all my documents, camera, water bottles and cash while I traveled internationally, but not so good for CC. They have revised it since, so it might be better.

Their spandex deep cover carry shirt has been much more comfortable and secure, but just as tough get a gun out fast.

All these oddball concealment methods (vests, jackets with special pockets, etc, etc, etc...) mostly get sold to those new to concealed carry and seriously worried about printing.

As your experience increases and you realize that everyone around you is completely clueless, you start carrying full sized pistols in common IWB and OWB holsters with just an untucked shirt or a sport coat over them and not worrying about it constantly.

Every time people start talking about something like this, I have to wonder just how carefully they've thought through the actualc oncept of concealed carry. "Oh boy, this new concealed carry coat/vest/whatever is really comfortable and does a great job of keeping my gun from printing. It looks so sharp and 'tactical', and now nobody will notice I'm carrying." Seriously, don't you think the NRA or Sig or H&K or Glock logos might give somebody a sort of clue, even if everything's so carefully and discretely covered? If I'm planning to take down the local stop and rob, I might not be able to tell for certain whether or not your carrying or exactly where you've got it stashed, but I know for damn sure who's going to get a cap in his fool head as soon as the ball goes up. Nothing personal, just my opinion. Concealed carry should mean really concealed, not advertised.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom