• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone shoot 20 Ga in clays?

hessy

NES Member
I am about to get a Browning Silver Micro or Youth in 20 Ga from relatives. They bought it for their daughter but she did not like shooting, so that the shotgun is unused. I myself have 0 experience with shotguns (many years with pistols and rifles) and wonder if it can be reasonably adopted for clays. I think that is where my club has some matches, teams, etc. But I heard the club only allows steel shots. How expensive is the steel shot in 20 Ga? Are they hard to come by? I am considering getting the gun (close to free) and sell it or try it for clays and keep it just in case, HD? I do not hunt.
Thanks for advance for any suggestions.
hessy

I have a Sears & Robock Ted Williams 20 GA I shoot clays all the time, very cheap and easy to get ammo, lots of fun for little $$$$.

Funny,
I was just given my late dad's early 1970s 20g Beretta O/U. Can't wait to learn to bust clays again (used to do it with dad when I was 10, but not since)

First, define "clays" - sporting, skeet, or trap.

Second, Steel shot is about $6-7 a box ( possible less on sale) in either 12 or 20. Other gagues.....more. Most steel-only clubs have the ammo.

Third....shoot what ya got. My kid started out with a 20 (shooting lead) and made it to Expert (consistent 21/25) in the Trap Qualification program, before he stole my 12. So gague is not an issue. At my club, we have one guy with an antedilluvian Mossy Bolt Action 20.....he's about as good with that as his "real" gun, which is a 12.

If you do your job, and the gun is not a complete POS, the ammo will do its job.

We shoot steel, and are there for trap and skeet through the end of spetember on Thursday nights, and year-round on Sundays.

www.srgclub.com

Relax, and have some fun.

The only skeet gun I have is a 20ga. the wife and I took it out and shot some skeet Wednesday. It's fine for that. In fact it might be a little more challenging just because it's smaller.

If you've got it shoot it until you find or and afford something better.

The only skeet gun I have is a 20ga. the wife and I took it out and shot some skeet Wednesday. It's fine for that. In fact it might be a little more challenging just because it's smaller.

If you've got it shoot it until you find or and afford something better.

Thank you all who replied. I will call my niece and tell her I will get the shotgun. Looking at the Internet, Browning Silver should be a good gun. It is in youth model, but I could perhaps adjust it. I am not too tall myself (5'4", but weigh 225 lbs, LOL). How is 20 Ga recoil compared to .308? I can shoot 100 rds of .308 without any problem. It is funny I do not have any experience with shotguns, having an LTC for the last couple decades.
I will try skeet at the club.

Thank you all who replied. I will call my niece and tell her I will get the shotgun. Looking at the Internet, Browning Silver should be a good gun. It is in youth model, but I could perhaps adjust it. I am not too tall myself (5'4", but weigh 225 lbs, LOL). How is 20 Ga recoil compared to .308? I can shoot 100 rds of .308 without any problem. It is funny I do not have any experience with shotguns, having an LTC for the last couple decades.
I will try skeet at the club.

Don't adjust it! You are pretty much exactly my size and all my long guns are youth it reduced LOP. Try first...I think you'll like how it mounts and handles as compared to a "full size."

Recoil depends on the gun and how it fits you. My 20 ga 870 is a kitten, but I tried out a 20 sxs with a steel butt plate and found it rather vicious. Only one way to find out ;)

Mr Happy and I coach in a youth trap league. A 20 gauge micro would be good for a 12 year old just starting out. PM me if you want to try and sell this to youth shooters.

Brought out my dads old 20ga for trap today. The gun hasn't seen the light of day for 35+ years, and it ran great!

I was hitting more clays than my future brother in law was with his 12ga 870 by the end of the day. And he is a duck hunter! I've never been hunting in my life haha

Back
Top Bottom