• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

does anyone really want this?

i like this. I've been looking for one of their 45LC redhawks with 5.5"bbl, 7" would do actually if I ever saw one. no luck. this would fill the bill. liking that round butt too. for me, just a range toy but it would make a sweet revolver pin gun. i'm not sure i would use it as a sidearm in bear country when i could have something with more umph strapped to my hip. i'll have to check one out sometime.

i understand the appeal of a .45 lc, there's lots of .45lc offerings out there . i just think that engineering time would be better spent on something more revolutionary.

I think a large frame non Magnum heavy caliber revolver in still has its uses in 2015 Amerika beyond range toy and Bowling Pin Gunnery. Despite what some critics of the revolver will say such as Browncoat (see Reagan revolver thread) wheel guns are not Fudd guns. As Clint Smith says "revolvers are real guns." People will diss size and weight of an N frame Smith and then pack a full size 1911 of similar size and weight. Granted, 1911 conceals better, carries up to 50 percent more rounds and is easier to reload. I carry a S&W Mod 22 Thunder Ranch or a 1911, and the 1911 doesn't conceal that much better cuz I dress around the gun. It becomes moot in an open carry situation. Reloading with moon clips not to much different, capacity 1911 excels. Simplicity of manual of arms goes to the revolver, no safety to deal with, reliability pull trigger, gun goes bang. No bang? Pull trigger again and cylinder again advances.

Now the beauty of the new Ruger is interoperability. The idea of platform handling multiple calibers is very appealing. It's what makes the .357 Magnum a standout, the 9mm/40/357 Sig barrel interchangeability option appealing. As we move forward into uncertain times with potentially more ammunition shortages and who knows what kind of potential social and political turmoil and upheaval having firearms that handle multiple calibers from a survivalist perspective is not a bad idea. I would feel very comfortable and well armed with one of these RedHawks on my hip as an EDC gun, or as a back up to my shoulder fired weapon in a SHTF scenario, very well armed indeed.

I have been contemplating getting an extra .45 LC cylinder and having it fitted to my Model 22. An costly proposition. This way it comes from the factory without extra gun smithing. A good idea. I hope Ruger sells a lot of these. I'd like to see it in the product line for a long time.

I think a large frame non Magnum heavy caliber revolver in still has its uses in 2015 Amerika beyond range toy and Bowling Pin Gunnery. Despite what some critics of the revolver will say such as Browncoat (see Reagan revolver thread) wheel guns are not Fudd guns. As Clint Smith says "revolvers are real guns." People will diss size and weight of an N frame Smith and then pack a full size 1911 of similar size and weight. Granted, 1911 conceals better, carries up to 50 percent more rounds and is easier to reload. I carry a S&W Mod 22 Thunder Ranch or a 1911, and the 1911 doesn't conceal that much better cuz I dress around the gun. It becomes moot in an open carry situation. Reloading with moon clips not to much different, capacity 1911 excels. Simplicity of manual of arms goes to the revolver, no safety to deal with, reliability pull trigger, gun goes bang. No bang? Pull trigger again and cylinder again advances.

Now the beauty of the new Ruger is interoperability. The idea of platform handling multiple calibers is very appealing. It's what makes the .357 Magnum a standout, the 9mm/40/357 Sig barrel interchangeability option appealing. As we move forward into uncertain times with potentially more ammunition shortages and who knows what kind of potential social and political turmoil and upheaval having firearms that handle multiple calibers from a survivalist perspective is not a bad idea. I would feel very comfortable and well armed with one of these RedHawks on my hip as an EDC gun, or as a back up to my shoulder fired weapon in a SHTF scenario, very well armed indeed.

I have been contemplating getting an extra .45 LC cylinder and having it fitted to my Model 22. An costly proposition. This way it comes from the factory without extra gun smithing. A good idea. I hope Ruger sells a lot of these. I'd like to see it in the product line for a long time.
Hey that's not fair, I already got negged for that without you drawing attention to it [emoji14]. I'll put it on record that I think revolvers are awesome and I will one day own one, possibly a Redhawk in 45 LC.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Hey that's not fair, I already got negged for that without you drawing attention to it [emoji14]. I'll put it on record that I think revolvers are awesome and I will one day own one, possibly a Redhawk in 45 LC. Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

For the record I didn't neg you even though I think it was neg worthy.

dont get me wrong, i love revolvers and i have a super redhawk. i guess that i can see that there's a demand for this after all. i still want a mk3 .17hmr variant. oh yea and a flying car.

These revolvers are overbuilt for 45LC. Why not just go straight to 44mag?
the 4" model would give my 629 a run for its money - probably can handle hotter loads better as well.

These revolvers are overbuilt for 45LC. Why not just go straight to 44mag? the 4" model would give my 629 a run for its money - probably can handle hotter loads better as well.

Because a lot of people like .45 LC and some companies like Black Hills have developed some stout loads. Also many prefer the 45 ACP/45 LC option over the 44 Spl/44 Mag option. Then too 45 LC can be hand loaded pretty hot.

Ruger has a pretty good marketing sense and seems to deliver what the consumer wants. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 44 mag in that barrel length in the future.

Smith has one too I think it's just 45acp tho but I think it's a newerish gun the grips are funky on it like a blue and bamboo color. I'm not huge into revolvers but maybe that'll be the new fad to replace the pocket rockets. O and anyone who thinks 45 lc is under powered just remember they used to dump bison with it all the time

Because a lot of people like .45 LC and some companies like Black Hills have developed some stout loads. Also many prefer the 45 ACP/45 LC option over the 44 Spl/44 Mag option. Then too 45 LC can be hand loaded pretty hot.

Ruger has a pretty good marketing sense and seems to deliver what the consumer wants. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 44 mag in that barrel length in the future.

The 44mag variants are listed on their website. Looks like theyre already done.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html

The thread title: Does anyone really want this?

My daddy always used to say...it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

So as I relate that statement to guns, I say yes, somebody will want one or two. It might fill a niche I am not aware of in the market. Or at the very least give people another option. So once my main list of wants and needs are fulfilled there could be room for one. Revolvers are cool.

Plus I like things that make people (non-gun types) ask me why. Like when they see my AR .308. I think it's a nice rifle. But it looks all bad a$$ killy mainly because it's a traditional AR style but with the scope and bi-pod and pinned collapsible stock it looks very intimidating. You know the type. People see and ask why I need that. And I say; "I don't. I just wanted it." Those are my favorites to own.

This Ruger would fall into that category for me.

Ruger makes a good gun. They'll sell some.

I've always wanted a Red Hawk in 44 mag. After owning a Black Hawk "convertible" 45lc/acp and a GP100 I realized that although the double action is nice, I can recock a single action and get back on target as quickly as I can with double action. I would have to think that this would be even more true shooting a 44 mag load. I also shoot the Black Hawk considerably better than the GP100...But I still want a Red Hawk in 44 mag. Go figure.

I think you guys are kindof missing the point of a gun like this.

You can reload .45 ACP for the equivalent of about $6.50/box.

You can load .45 colt using "ruger only" loads and get damn near .44 mag performance with lighter bullets.

Thats a lot of versatility in one gun. If you aren't considering the appeal of cheap and easy .45 acp, then you are missing the point.

dont get me wrong, i love revolvers and i have a super redhawk. i guess that i can see that there's a demand for this after all. i still want a mk3 .17hmr variant. oh yea and a flying car.

Ruger has a lot of dumber ideas out there, namely that little alaskan that beats the shit out of you, and the ".480 ruger didIjustsnapmywristjesushchristwhy the **** did I buy this" revolver. Unlike that stuff this is a pretty sane and sensible offering with a lot of potential and flexibility.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom