• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone NOT carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big guy so it's hard for me to CCW during the warm weather and at work, but on the weekends I'm good to go. Now that I have my NH non res it's easier since the wife and I pop over the border all the time.

I'm not huge, but I'm not small either (5-10" 215 lbs). The only tee shirts I can wear are XXL and I have a lot of Carhart short sleeve button down shirts that are XXLT. I usually leave the button down shirts unbuttoned and wear a wifebeater under them, unless it's windy, then I'll button the bottom two buttons.

I use a Serpta holster and nobody has ever noticed. Someday I'll breakdown and try a Crossbreed IWB. Almost a third of my co-workers carry and probably one quarter of my customers also carry, that I know of.

Last week I had a regular customer ask me to cut a board for him @ 8'. As I was walking down to the saw with him I got a phone call from one of our salesman. I put the board on the saw @ 8' while I was still talking on the phone and turned on the saw. He must've had second thoughts about the cut and went to grab where he thought my tape was. You should've seen his face. That's a gun, is that a Glock, is that a 9mm, do you need a permit to carry that here? I very calmly said "Yes, that's a gun, a Glock 45, and yes you do need a permit in this state to carry concealed and yes I have one for this state and several others". As I'm telling him this, I'm trying to hand him my tape, but he was completly enthralled. He said he never noticed that I carried and I told him it's always there.

I don't think he was upset, just surprised. I haven't seen him since but when I do I'll offer to show him my permit if he likes and offer to take him to the range sometime. He's a conservative self employed family man, I smell a potential convert.

I carry anytime SSS doesn't apply (sleeping, showering, or sh!t-faced). [wink]

In all honesty, I haven't been carrying lately because I've become more self-conscious about printing now that the summer's here and I only have an OWB holster (last summer I didn't care, but I'm more paranoid about advertising these days). I don't smoke menthols, so I can't let people know I'm not food. Once the Crossbreed group buy is wrapped up, that problem will be rectified.

Last edited:
AFAIK, NLRG doesn't even allow/want members to carry inside the clubhouse. It seems like the majority of people who I've met at the range carry, though. Well, at least while they're at the range, anyway.

we have no shortage of fudds. most of them are too scared to come down to the rifle/pistol range though so for the most part you'll be left alone.

I find that very funny, not that you do it, but the fact that my brother and I just received our LTC-A and he is now displaying the same things as you. I've never seen him wear his seat belt when in the car with me. Except for that one time we got pulled over, he tried to get it on so the cop wouldn't notice. But from the day we got our license, as soon as we get in the car it goes on for him.

As for me, I have no intention of carrying at this point. I don't feel the need, and I'm just not comfortable with carrying yet. Things may change in the future, but that's the future.

Funny thing about that, since I got my LTC-A, I always wear my seat belt, I don't tailgate, I don't speed (excessively), and don't say things like " I will kill you" . These are all things I used to do. I don't want to give anyone a reason to even think about taking away my right to carry in this wacky state.

It's an ill wind that doesn't blow some good.

I find that very funny, not that you do it, but the fact that my brother and I just received our LTC-A and he is now displaying the same things as you. I've never seen him wear his seat belt when in the car with me. Except for that one time we got pulled over, he tried to get it on so the cop wouldn't notice. But from the day we got our license, as soon as we get in the car it goes on for him.

As for me, I have no intention of carrying at this point. I don't feel the need, and I'm just not comfortable with carrying yet. Things may change in the future, but that's the future.

I think anyone should be comfortable carrying. Some people get pissy if you carry with the chamber empty or the mag in your pocket but that's just what I did. I eased into it.

Now I always carry "hot", but it took me a few months to get to that point. I wouldn't want to carry for the first time when I was expecting trouble, I'd be a wreck, and probably a danger to myself and others.

My gun is like a part of me as much as my elbow or my knee. I'm not selfconcious about it, I bang it once and a while, but I don't even think about it, it's just there.

If "the bell rings" I'll be able to draw without fumbling about. I suggest anyone that doesn't carry should start. Try it out, if only around your house, then maybe one day a week. It's my opinion that you should feel comfortable.

It's kinda weird with out Scrivner here to bitch me out. He was kinda of a dick, be he seemed to really know his stuff. I can say I miss him, just a little.

Your carry gun should be an extension of yourself. Just like your wallet. You reach for it when you need it, and your body is trained to understand there is something there. No discomfort, not mental worrying, just another piece of pocket junk like car keys that bulks up your pants.
+1

That raises an interesting point. Does your work allow firearms on company property? Can't imagine many do. I've checked my employee handbook and its against policy to do so. [sad]

There is NO clause in my employee handbook on it. Hopefully it will stay that way as I know many of the employees do carry, if not on them within easy reach.

That raises an interesting point. Does your work allow firearms on company property? Can't imagine many do. I've checked my employee handbook and its against policy to do so. [sad]

My company REQUIRES concealed carry at all times by all employees.

Of course, I own the company and am the sole employee, but still ...

I have gotten more cautious about what I do day to day since I got my permit as well.

There is NO clause in my employee handbook on it. Hopefully it will stay that way as I know many of the employees do carry, if not on them within easy reach.

Lucky you. My employee handbook prohibits carrying on company property. I have had talks with superiors about changing the policy, and they made it clear that there is no way its going to change.

Last edited:
It's kinda weird with out Scrivner here to bitch me out. He was kinda of a dick, be he seemed to really know his stuff. I can say I miss him, just a little.

In all my years here I've never seen Scriv b*tch someone out over not carrying.

we have no shortage of fudds. most of them are too scared to come down to the rifle/pistol range though so for the most part you'll be left alone.

I remember years ago the fudds would get the pistol/rifle ranges there shut down temporarily during trap/skeet competitions because "it was too noisy". [thinking]

-Mike

I remember years ago the fudds would get the pistol/rifle ranges there shut down temporarily during trap/skeet competitions because "it was too noisy". [thinking]

-Mike

Sounds like my first club . . . they requested that the outdoor range be closed when they were shooting skeet/trap (this was weekly as they didn't do "matches") as it "disturbed them"! No idea what the situation is today as I haven't shot there or been a member for >10 years now.

Sounds like my first club . . . they requested that the outdoor range be closed when they were shooting skeet/trap (this was weekly as they didn't do "matches") as it "disturbed them"! No idea what the situation is today as I haven't shot there or been a member for >10 years now.

A well known Central Mass. competition shooter (drgant would know him if I dropped his name) was once asked to stop shooting on the range at a MA club because the noise was bothering the people drinking in the bar at the clubhouse. [thinking] He was pistol shooting, not machine guns or other crazy loud stuff, just range time with a 1911. He left and never went back.

I might add that this outdoor range only allowed pistol and .22rimfire rifle shooting . . . and this was when the most powerful handgun available was the S&W 29 (.44Mag), plus there were never more than 2-3 shooters on that range at any one time, so the noise wasn't real significant.

I never carry anymore, I used to, especially when I was stationed down south, but now it's such a hassle. Plus, I live and work in an area that I don't feel the need, perhaps if my AO was in another location I might carry more.

Too be honest, I'm more afraid of the idiots who are carrying that do not know how to use what they are carrying then I am someone robbing me or something like that.

Overall, I am glad that I have the ability to carry or not.

You are not going to prison for violating a restriction on your otherwise valid LTC.
No Shite. Your not going to prision for carrying with out ANY firearms lic either. Go down Rox/Dot/ court w/ public defenders!!!!!..........See how many GoToJail for carrying a gun.>>>> NOT THAT IM ADVOCATING IT!!

What's the difference whether you carry or not? The only thing that ever mattered to me is whether it was my choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom