• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone NOT carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know anyone who carries at their place of employment, where their employer prohibits it?

I don't know because if they're smart about it they'll conceal it well and keep their mouth shut.

Most company policies are a result of insurance companies and liability. It often has nothing to do with the business owners beliefs.

Last edited:
Do you know anyone who carries at their place of employment, where their employer prohibits it?

If you know about it, they're doing it wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do so.... especially pizza delivery guys, etc. Job is high risk, job is disposable, and most of the chains don't let the drivers carry... that's one job where everyone should carry against policy. [laugh]

-Mike

That's very informative, thank you.

No problem. Now unless you have $10,000 to spare, don't violate those restrictions. I'd suggest getting something in writing stating what they mean so that you're clear on what the rules are.

Like I believe that.... nice try Jose. [rolleyes]

My thoughts exactly. [laugh]

Correct......... Believe it or not..........I hardly ever carry.

You're just itching to become an internet gun forum pariah, aren't you? First you freely admit that you're a cop, then you suggest that ATF are a group of reasonable people, and now this revelation?!?

[wink][laugh][smile]

I've had my LTC no-restrictions in MA and NH for about ten years. There have been periods when I carried every day and periods when I never carry at all. Years ago I managed a 24/7 sweat shop on the wrong side of town. I carried a .380 in a Smartcarry holster under my buisness-casual slacks every day, incl to work without regard to handbook or policy. It was a terrible nieghborhood, I fired gang members every day, and had been threatened many times. Had my windshield smashed several occasions, tires, you name it. Mercifully, that job ended after a year or so. Didn't carry for a couple years after that. Then an incident happened, there was a restraining order, and for abouot two months, I needed to be sure I could protect someone close to me. I went back to daily carry and, for the first time, kept a 9mm near the bed at night. But that was years ago. Now I carry on occasion. If I go into Boston, or hike/camp in remote areas, that kind of thing. With a Thunderwear/Smartcarry rig, I'd not hesitate to carry at my current office-type position where I'm sure it's against the rules. Either my .380 or my snubby. If I think I need it, I have it. Mostly, I don't think I need it. I have an active social life and colleagues and friends invite me places where a social drinking is involved. I want to go to that sporting event, dinner, award ceremony, without having to put something away first. Occasionally, just to stay in practice, I carry for the sake of it. Different guns, different ways. But rarely. If something happens and it changes my mind, I'll reexamine this position. Til then, I do what suites me.

I Usually only carry when I'm hiking. I know a few people who have been robbed at gun point in Boston and Providence and it happened so fast (person walking by pulled out a gun and demanded money) that I don't know if having a gun would make a difference. It can be the great equalizer in some situations but others it might escalate them. Does anyone know if a hand gun self defense class would help?

I can't carry in the hospital.

Is this for legal or practical reasons? Just curious.

I wouldn't want to speak for Mass-diver as to why s/he doesn't carry in a hospital, but, it is important to keep in mind that educational campuses are exclusion zones in Mass, and many hospitals have affiliations with medical schools. In Boston, there's BMC/BU Med, NEMC/Tufts, basically all the Partners hospitals/Harvard, etc. Just to name a few.

As to whether these technically fall under the definition of "campus," I don't know if that's ever been firmly established. My NES forum research suggests that it has not.

I wouldn't want to speak for Mass-diver as to why s/he doesn't carry in a hospital, but, it is important to keep in mind that educational campuses are exclusion zones in Mass, and many hospitals have affiliations with medical schools. In Boston, there's BMC/BU Med, NEMC/Tufts, basically all the Partners hospitals/Harvard, etc. Just to name a few.

As to whether these technically fall under the definition of "campus," I don't know if that's ever been firmly established. My NES forum research suggests that it has not.

Correct on all points. The general consensus here seems to be that if the school actually teaches or houses students in that hospital then it's considered school grounds, but not if the school just owns the property. This distinction is important, because many schools own restaraunts, businesses and even houses strictly for income purposes that have nothing to do with "school." The below thread touched on it a little bit.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/48684-Can-I-carry-in-Boston-Hospitals

I've only been able to find three pieces of Mass. case law regarding school grounds, but all of those were in traditional high school/college settings, not hospitals or rental property.

Commonwealth v. Wayne Lo (1998)

Commonwealth v. Corey Ramos (2006)

Commonwealth v. Emanuel G. Monteiro (2009)

I Usually only carry when I'm hiking. I know a few people who have been robbed at gun point in Boston and Providence and it happened so fast (person walking by pulled out a gun and demanded money) that I don't know if having a gun would make a difference. It can be the great equalizer in some situations but others it might escalate them. Does anyone know if a hand gun self defense class would help?

Additional training is ALWAYS a good thing. It may not be able to save you 100% of the time, but I'd like to believe that retention and pistol defense training would give you a great advantage.

Walking around in condition yellow might help.

Not burying your head in the iphone/cellphone/blackberry/whatever would help.

I don't carry to work. It's policy. Out of work, I try to carry as much as possible but then again I don't wear my seat belt most of the time either. [smile]

Funny thing about that, since I got my LTC-A, I always wear my seat belt, I don't tailgate, I don't speed (excessively), and don't say things like " I will kill you" . These are all things I used to do. I don't want to give anyone a reason to even think about taking away my right to carry in this wacky state.

It's an ill wind that doesn't blow some good.

I have an NH permit, but work in Mass, so don't carry during the work day. The MA non-res seems like too much of a pain to get.

This.

Live and have LTC in MA, work in MA, CT, RI, and NY. will probably get CT non res but not going nuts unless a state developes a multi state permit recognized by all these yahoos. Or reciprocity becomes a reality.[slap]

At my first gun club (pre-1998) almost everyone had unrestricted LTCs. Of the ~350 members, I only knew one that CCW'd all the time and two (including myself) that only CCW'd some of the time. The rest were strictly target/hunting type shooters and would never consider CCW'g.

At the other 3 clubs I've belonged to since 1998, very few (percentage of member-wise) CCW any of the time, AFAIK. Most that CCW part-time do so only when going into slum-cities.

Most larger companies these days require you to not only read an employee handbook but sign something that affirms you have read and agree to the rules therein as a condition of your employment. The last three companies I've worked for have done so.

Precisely. If it's not there, but you asked, they'll tell you "no" and memo having done so. If it's not there in black and white, "don't ask; don't tell" gives you some cover if you fail Concealed 101.

Ken

Where's Dench?

Hey, good call.
I havent carried concealed for a long time now, for the following reasons:
-The main reason is i cant find my holster for my G27.
-The second main reason is i dont give a shit.
-The 3rd main reason is i dont want to clear the gun at the end of the day/night keeping with my "no guns stored loaded policy."

Then why try to justify it? It's your business anyways, everyone here is just going to pee all over you telling you your reasons are not good enough.

Last edited:
Hey, good call.
I havent carried concealed for a long time now, for the following reasons:
-The main reason is i cant find my holster for my G27.
-The 3rd main reason is i dont want to clear the gun at the end of the day/night keeping with my "no guns stored loaded policy."

I carry often under the idea of "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

That's a great reason... Too bad the chief of police didn't think so when I applied...

Back on topic, I carry to and from the range. I would carry more if my restrictions were lifted....

Last edited:
It can be the great equalizer in some situations but others it might escalate them.

The gun doesn't escalate anything. The people involved do. You always have a choice toward that end. A firearm is meant to be a last resort.

I'm a big guy so it's hard for me to CCW during the warm weather and at work, but on the weekends I'm good to go. Now that I have my NH non res it's easier since the wife and I pop over the border all the time.

couch-smiley.gif

1%

At my first gun club (pre-1998) almost everyone had unrestricted LTCs. Of the ~350 members, I only knew one that CCW'd all the time and two (including myself) that only CCW'd some of the time. The rest were strictly target/hunting type shooters and would never consider CCW'g.

At the other 3 clubs I've belonged to since 1998, very few (percentage of member-wise) CCW any of the time, AFAIK. Most that CCW part-time do so only when going into slum-cities.

AFAIK, NLRG doesn't even allow/want members to carry inside the clubhouse. It seems like the majority of people who I've met at the range carry, though. Well, at least while they're at the range, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom