Does anyone NOT carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out with my family yesterday. For some stupid reason I went 'naked'. When some unsavory characters appearedd near our table I realized that I was pretty much helpless if something went down. Wont do that again.
I would estimate that about 10 % of licensees carry regularly. (FYI I pulled that number out of my @ss based on the licensees I know)

I don't regularly carry not because i don't want to, but because I'm still getting used to carrying, haven't found a comfortable way to carry yet.

Funny story, or not...:

I have an interface (cable/obdII/software) for vw/audis and some random guy pm-ed on the vw forum asking if I'd help him out with something. Told him he could meet... in one pm he said his name was Aldo, in another he said it was Arnie... I got just a little bit concerned so thought, ok I'm packing, and he's not meeting me @ my house. We met @ Wendy's in Milford, he comes out of Wendy's, mid-30s, with a 3yr old, and a 5yr old... I just laughed to myself...

Last edited:
That raises an interesting point. Does your work allow firearms on company property? Can't imagine many do. I've checked my employee handbook and its against policy to do so. [sad]

We have an office in Cali, Vegas, Atlanta and some in Europe. Guy shows up in the Vegas office showing off his new gun, got fired on the spot. 1- he wasn't allowed to bring it to work 2- he was showing it off. Dumbass. If I ever pack @ work, I'd do it ever so discreetly.

In regard to workplace policies, think "Don't ask; don't tell." I'm fairly certain that most people would be told that carrying in the workplace was against company policy, whether or not such a policy actually existed at that time, and would run a gun chance of being fired or disciplined if they revealed that they were carrying. If you never ask, you've got a chance of saying"Oh, you never told me; If I had known that was the policy I would have complied, so it's really your fault." Once you ask, though, you're pretty much screwed.

They call it concealed carry for a reason. The smallest gun and the best concealment rig in the would is useless if you insist on running your mouth off.

Ken

In regard to workplace policies, think "Don't ask; don't tell." I'm fairly certain that most people would be told that carrying in the workplace was against company policy, whether or not such a policy actually existed at that time, and would run a gun chance of being fired or disciplined if they revealed that they were carrying. If you never ask, you've got a chance of saying"Oh, you never told me; If I had known that was the policy I would have complied, so it's really your fault." Once you ask, though, you're pretty much screwed.

They call it concealed carry for a reason. The smallest gun and the best concealment rig in the would is useless if you insist on running your mouth off.

Ken

I'm so glad that both my bosses encourage me to carry at work [laugh]

It's all personal preference.
If someone isn't comfortable with it, or thinks they don't have a need to carry then they simply shouldn't. I don't think it would do them a whole lot of good.

The beauty of CCW in a non gun friendly workplace is that the 'C' in CCW generally means, (English anyway) - Concealed. Unless I slept through class, (again), I was pretty sure that concealed means to carry in a way that no one knows you have it....hmmmm..... [thinking]

conceal |kənˈsēl|
verb [ trans. ]
keep from sight; hide : a line of sand dunes concealed the distant sea | [as adj. ] ( concealed) he pressed a concealed button.
• keep (something) secret; prevent from being known or noticed : love that they had to conceal from others.
DERIVATIVES
concealable adjective
concealment noun
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French conceler, from Latin concelare, from con- ‘completely’ + celare ‘hide.’

Thesaurus

Thesaurus
conceal
verb
1 clouds concealed the sun hide, screen, cover, obscure, block out, blot out, mask, shroud, secrete. antonym reveal.
2 he concealed his true feelings hide, cover up, disguise, mask, veil; keep secret, draw a veil over; suppress, repress, bottle up; informal keep a lid on, keep under one's hat. antonym reveal, confess.

It's all personal preference.
If someone isn't comfortable with it, or thinks they don't have a need to carry then they simply shouldn't. I don't think it would do them a whole lot of good.

This. I've had my Class A LTC for close to 40 years now. Carried about 10 times total. If I feel the need depending upon where I'm going, then I do. Now a days almost everywhere it's posted, NO WEAPONS of any kind allowed.

If you never ask, you've got a chance of saying"Oh, you never told me; If I had known that was the policy I would have complied, so it's really your fault."
Most larger companies these days require you to not only read an employee handbook but sign something that affirms you have read and agree to the rules therein as a condition of your employment. The last three companies I've worked for have done so.

So what happens when the day comes you need to use your firearm and you're restricted? I guess prison is better than being dead...

edit: Not saying I don't want to but if I carry and get caught in a situation then I lose my suitability and I go to prison.

I'm not restricted. If you have a restricted license then I feel for you.

This. I've had my Class A LTC for close to 40 years now. Carried about 10 times total. If I feel the need depending upon where I'm going, then I do. Now a days almost everywhere it's posted, NO WEAPONS of any kind allowed.

Where do you see these signs? Maybe ive seen them at a sports venue but that's about it.

Sign? What sign? I see no legally binding sign.

While I might not have my pistol on me when I'm at the beach, for instance, it's never further away than my truck. As far as places that ask me not to carry. I generally let them know that they have just lost my business.

I carry almost all the time. The only times I don't are those times I "can't". That is, schools, colleges, court houses (don't spend much time there, thankfully), and whatnot. Also, wherever posted. If an establishment posts that they don't allow firearms, I usually won't spend my money there.

Like WanMan, my carry is the 642. I've grown quite comfortable with it in a Galco Stow & Go, inguinal crease. In winter, I'll use a pocket holster.

The wifey will occasionally brush against it. She doesn't like it, but realizes this:
Bad things happen by bad people everyday. It, for the most part, cannot be predicted. You may or may not be the victim of this behavior. IF the bad guy decides it is going to be you, it is going to happen. You can take it and maybe get out of it ok OR you can not take it and raise your chances of getting out of ok and with your stuff. Righting the scale back to even or to your advantage can save your life.

She trusts my judgement, learning, and temperament. She also knows that, no matter what, I'm not ever going to just let something bad happen to her or the kids.

in MA< a psoted no weapons sign is not binding for trespassing unless you are told to leave. SO, unless the place is off limits by law, you should not be worrying about skipping places with signs saying no weapons.

Every day. All the time. Most of the time two firearms :)

Ditto, except only one gun in the shower. I have my Seecamp on the top shower rack next to all of that girlie stuff. Women.

I was @ Logan last night dropping of our French foreign exchange student. His flight was delayed until 5:00 AM today. My wife opted to wait in line to check his bag and get his boarding pass in order to speed things up in the AM.

My oldest daughter (who also has an LTC-A) thought it was funny, how perturbed I was not being able to carry @ Logan. I don't even think about it when I carry, but I guess subconsciously, I always know it's there.

MA is a bit of an odd place WRT CCW licenses. Since they're necessary to simply own a gun, you can't judge by possession of one, whether a person carries from time to time, always, or never.

Most folks who can get one would get an 'A - ALP' if they had the option, since there's no practical reason to get a 'B' if an 'A' is available to you.

Hopefully in the wake of McDonald, and after specific challenges are advanced in MA, this will all change some day.

Haven't felt the need to carry yet, but that day may come and I'll make that call when I feel its warranted. As for having a firearm at work, its prohibited by company policy.

I don't carry to work. It's policy. Out of work, I try to carry as much as possible but then again I don't wear my seat belt most of the time either. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom