• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone make a true "original" 1911?

I should rephrase that a bit, does anyone make a quality original design 1911? By original I mean original style trigger, hammer, no beavertail, original type sights, no ambi safety, etc. Reading this article: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/toolbox.htm, it describes how an original 1911 could be disassembled using only itself. I for one have never seen a modern 1911 with grip screws a 45 casing would fit into. Maybe an owner of an older original 1911 could chime in on this?

There are a number of WWII-style pistols available, originally offered by Colt. I suspect the Springfield Armory version is way more popular because it's cheaper.

Are you sure you really want one, though? Folks started improving sights, fit, etc to make them more accurate. Shooting a USGI M1911A1 at 25 meters is a considerable challenge: mine shot 4.5" groups with modern ammo. Put a newer barrel, tighter barrel bushing and new link and it went down to around 3"

regular.jpg

1944 USGI M1911A1
447121939_fyrB7-M.jpg

Last edited:
There are a number of WWII-style pistols available, originally offered by Colt. I suspect the Springfield Armory version is way more popular because it's cheaper.

Are you sure you really want one, though? Folks started improving sights, fit, etc to make them more accurate. Shooting a USGI M1911A1 at 25 meters is a considerable challenge: mine shot 4.5" groups with modern ammo. Put a newer barrel, tighter barrel bushing and new link and it went down to around 3"

regular.jpg

I'm not against tighter fitting parts for a better shot. The springfield "milspec" does come close. I wonder if it has their dumb key safety in the mainspring housing. Their "GI" version isn't too original, it has the titanium pin and therefore heavy hammer spring in it. I think all springfields have "different" sized firing pins, I had a buy a specific one for mine.

As for sights I don't see the improvement over the "milspec" style. The newer ones are still a blade and a notch, although adjustable. A milspec rear sight you are supposed to be able to rack the slide against something with.

I was looking more towards ones that don't have any "special" parts, such as the locks, or the "swartz" safety, full guide rods, etc.

Auto Ordnance makes an original style 1911. It does have a series 80 firing pin block. I've heard that quality was not so good on older ones but has improved in recent years.

modern 1911 with grip screws a 45 casing would fit into.
The "self disassembly" trick on a mil-spec 1911 is to use the front lip of the magazine (the lip at the base, not the one at the top) as the screwdriver for the grip screws, not a 45 case.

, it describes how an original 1911 could be disassembled using only itself. I for one have never seen a modern 1911 with grip screws a 45 casing would fit into.

Shell casing not necessary. Not that I practice this, but:

Field strip
Cock hammer
flip safety up and remove, while holding in grip safety
Lower hammer
Use safety "shaft" to punch out MSH retainer pin
Drop MSH
Remove grip safety
Remove sear spring
Use sear spring to remove grip screws (slotted style of course).

If your thumbnail is long enough you can sneak the safety back in without any tools.
You can use the magazine to hammer the MSH retainer pin back in. ;)

The "self disassembly" trick on a mil-spec 1911 is to use the front lip of the magazine (the lip at the base, not the one at the top) as the screwdriver for the grip screws, not a 45 case.

It's interesting that something Browning designed designed into the gun was lost.

Have you ever wondered why the slots in the grip screws on the big .45 are concave rather than simply flat? Wonder no more. Browning designed those screws so that the rim of the .45 ACP cartridge could be used to unscrew them! You don’t need a screwdriver for this task if you have a single cartridge available!

Not saying the change was wrong, just an observation.

You use the magazine lip to unscrew the grip screws, not the sear spring.

The long leg of the sear spring is used as the "screwdriver" to turn the latch holding the safety in place (if you've never taken apart a 1911, you would think this is a screw - it isn't)

The hammer strut can be used to depress the firing pin so you can slide down the firing pin stop plate.

You can use the firing pin to depress the safety plunger while re-inserting the safety.

"The long leg of the sear spring is used as the "screwdriver" to turn the latch holding the safety in place (if you've never taken apart a 1911, you would think this is a screw - it isn't)"

You mean the mag release Rob?

It looks like the colt series 70 repro is one of the best out there as far as new guns go. Springfield mil-spec a close second. Does anyone know if the milspec has the ILS? I thought I remember a thread about AO being pretty terrible a year or so back on here.

I've got a springfield now but you know how they tend to multiply...

Shooting a USGI M1911A1 at 25 meters is a considerable challenge: mine shot 4.5" groups with modern ammo.

Shooting any combat handgun at 25 meters is a challenge, and just as pointless as your average infantryman shooting his M4 at 600 meters: it's the wrong tool for the job, so it's no surprise that other tools can do the job better.

If anyone brings up highly tuned Bullseye slowfire pistols, I swear I'm gonna challenge them to shoot a Palma match against people using high-mag optics.

Are you looking for a 1911 or a 1911 A1? I don't know of anyone making a 1911 type. I have a Auto Ordnance Mil Spec 1911 A1 and a SA Mil Spec. Both are great guns. The AO needed some trigger work to get the trigger pull down. The major differences between the 1911 and 1911 A1 were minor and consisted of a shorter trigger, cutouts in the frame behind the trigger, an arched mainspring housing, a longer grip safety spur a wider front sight, a shorter spur on the hammer, and eliminating the "Double Diamond" reliefs.

M1911-M1911A1.JPG

Last edited:
IF - again, IF - your only objection to the SA is the ILS, buy the gun and swap out the mainspring housing. It's not like the S&W lock; no ugly hole.

For new production, the best is the USFA 1911 as far as quality. The second best is the new production series 70 from Colt. Then SA... there are others, but they don't compare in quality, IMO. The series 70 is the best buy, they are around $900 all depending on where you shop (not in this wonderful state, of course).

For new production, the best is the USFA 1911 as far as quality. The second best is the new production series 70 from Colt. Then SA... there are others, but they don't compare in quality, IMO. The series 70 is the best buy, they are around $900 all depending on where you shop (not in this wonderful state, of course).

The USFA site has me drooling... and not just at the 1911!

The USFA site has me drooling... and not just at the 1911!

USFA Makes quality guns. Don't be fooled into thinking that what USFA advertises they actually manufacture. Their 1911 is no longer in production and may never be again and very few were actually made. And their 1910 is no longer in production. They only gun be made in any quantities is the Colt SAA Clone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom