• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone know what happened to Jad Ali Mokad?

Hey! Sorry if this was answered before. I was doing some research on pre-ban mags today - I attended a firearms safety course and the instructor told an attendee that post-ban ar-15s could NOT use pre-ban mags and I wanted to find an article showing that he was wrong, and came across the story of Jad Ali Mokad. I tried to dig and find out what ever happened but all the articles are just about him getting arrested. Anyone ever see followup on this story?

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/...tudent-faces-prison-for-owning-gun-magazines/

Oh also: Excited to be here. Been reading for a while but only just made an account this week.

Thanks,
Evan

You're right, he's wrong. Forget all the BS he told you, use you your certificate to apply for a LTC, visit this site often, when in doubt refer to MGLs. Ignore any legal advice from a cop or a gun shop employee.

Sometimes I wonder if it's really ignorance or something different...
It is a variation on what I call "playground rules" - maybe someone has a better name for it?

People with no actual claim to power and a tiny little bit of additional information than the average kid (either cursory knowledge of the real rules or the reality that brass balls makes the rules 99% of the time), use others' ignorance, insecurity and gullibility to their own purposes. They make up/embellish the rules to skew the game to their benefit and/or just get attention or appear to be "in the know".

All that might sound pretty nefarious and in the adult world it can be whether intended or not, but I think it is important to understand how fundamental to our nature that it is that this behavior appears in children reliably.

The person who successfully makes up rules gets attention, control and instant positive feedback and the fallout of their BS is either in the distant future or may never be directly observed.

Humans are strange animals, but on the grand scale we are pretty predictable.

Yeah ^^^ and only take the advice of some anonymous guy on a gun forum...

Now with that said, Police Officers aren't lawyers. if you need legal advice go talk to a practicing attorney. Don't get it on an internet board. If you want opinions? Well have we got opinions for you!

Last edited:
Yeah ^^^ and only take the advice of some anonymous guy on a gun forum... Now with that said, Police Officers aren't lawyers. if you need legal advice go talk to a practicing attorney. Don't get it on an internet board. If you want opinions? Well have we got opinions for you!

There are people here who are attorneys and people here who are laypersons but are experts in Mass Firearms Law. Sad fact is that Mass Gun Laws are so complex and convoluted that most attorneys are not especially well versed in them. Generally speaking anything LenS, DrGrant, Terraformer, Cekim, Robt Boudrie and a few others tell you is accurate. There is also a sub-forum on Mass Gun LWs.

More importantly, if someone tells you something about MA law and provides a citation in the law, read the citation! You'll confirm for yourself that what they said was accurate, and you'll build up your own knowledge of the convoluted mess of MA gun laws.

read the citation!
Bingo!!!

They make up/embellish the rules to skew
Licensed FFL dealer is not a position of authority.

Amazingly, some dealers fail to understand this

if you need legal advice go talk to a practicing attorney
With some of MA law, the attorney advice would be "it could be this, or maybe it isn't, my opinion is ...., but I can't offer any assurance the state would agree."

Just ask an attorney if a particular gun is AG compliant, or if it is legal (not advisable, legal) to have an unloaded gun in the trunk of your can on school property, given the conflict between 269/10j and recent SJC dicta.

Any idiot can be absolutely sure he is right. It sometimes takes a higher level of knowledge to know what you do not know, or what is unknowable.

Last edited:
A gun shop turned him in because he asked about a silencer? Does anyone know more about that? It could be he genuinely had no idea he could not get one when he asked. The proper response is to tell him about the laws regarding it.

According to the article, if I read it properly, his father made the call. A clerk told him it was illegal and in proper "see something, say something form" notified the Feds. More than likely because, and I am speculating here the man had a middle eastern accent. Such is life in 21st Century Amerika.

Middleton is a little out of my orbit but North Shore Firearms will never get my business.

Last edited:
Just recently nsf posted some story about the kid, his father, and brother being on video outside the store discussing the purchase and them handing the kid money directly before purchasing the rifle. Of course, thats their story and I dont believe it without seeing the video myself

It's more interesting than that. That was the only charge left after they were done.

MEMORANDUM OF DECISION AND ORDER ON DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO RECONSIDER

INTRODUCTION
The defendant Jad Mokdad (Mr. Mokdad) is charged with two counts of unlawful possession of a large capacity feeding device (indictment nos. 001 and 002) (G.L.c. 140, §131M). Mr. Mokdad moves for reconsideration of the court's denial of his motion to dismiss (paper #10). After considering the arguments in Mr. Mokdad's supplemental memorandum (paper #11), the court concludes that there is ambiguity in G.L.c. 140, §131M warranting dismissal of indictments 001 and 002, and allows the motion.

FACTS
On January 8, 2014, Jad Mokdad (Mr. Mokdad) was charged with two counts of possession of a large capacity feeding device (G.L.c. 140, §131M) (indictments 001 and 002), and improper storage of a firearm (G.L.c. 140, §131L). Indictments 001 and 002 arise from Mr. Mokdad's purchase and subsequent possession of two thirty-round AK-47 "banana clips" from North Shore Firearms in Middleton on diverse dates from September 22 through September 27, 2013. At the time of the alleged offenses, Mr. Mokdad held a valid Class A License to Carry pursuant to G.L.c. 140, §131(a).

DISCUSSION
HN1 General Laws c. 140, §131M [2] prohibits individuals from "possess[ing] . . . large capacity feeding device that [were] not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994." G.L.c. 140, §131M.1 Mr. Mokdad construes §131M to mean that possession of a large capacity feeding device is illegal only if that device was not lawfully possessed by anyone before September 13, 1994. Mr. Mokdad contends that the language, "not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994" is ambiguous, and asserts that the rule of lenity requires that he "be given the benefit of the ambiguity." G.L.c. 140, §131M; see Commonwealth v. Carrion, 431 Mass. 44, 45-46, 725 N.E.2d 196 (2000). He contends that there was insufficient evidence to indict him because the grand jury only heard evidence that he, personally, did not possess the device before September 13, 1994, but no evidence that no other person lawfully possessed the device before September 13, 1994.

The Commonwealth construes §131M to mean that possession of a large capacity feeding device is illegal if that device was not lawfully possessed by the person then in possession of the device before September 13, 1994. The Commonwealth contends that evidence that Mr. Mokdad did not personally possess the large capacity feeding devices on or before September 13, 1994 is sufficient to indict him under §131M.

An Act Relative to Gun Control in the Commonwealth, St. 1998 Mass.c. 180, §47 (the Act), added §131M to G.L.c. 140, and rewrote and amended other statutes concerning firearms and ammunition. See St. 1998 Mass.c. 180. There are no Massachusetts cases interpreting the phrase, "not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994" (phrase). Although there is nothing in the legislative history of the Act that [4] explicitly states the purpose of the Act or §131M, it is fair to assume that the purpose of §131M is to limit the sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity feeding devices. Both the Commonwealth's and Mr. Mokdad's interpretations of the phrase further this purpose, but to differing degrees.

The starting point in analyzing these competing interpretations is the language of §131M. See Vining v. Commonwealth, 63 Mass.App.Ct 690, 692, 828 N.E.2d 576 (2005). There is nothing in the language of the statute regarding who is required to have lawfully possessed the large capacity feeding device prior to September 13, 1994 in order for the possession of that device to be lawful. The Supreme Judicial Court addressed an analogous problem in Commonwealth v. Hamilton, 459 Mass. 422, 945 N.E.2d 877 (2011) concerning the interpretation of G.L.c. 275, §2 (threatening to commit a crime). Section 2 states: HN3 "If complaint is made to any such court . . . that a person has threatened to commit a crime against the person or property of another, such court . . . shall examine the complainant and any witnesses who may be produced . . ." Hamilton, 459 Mass. at 426, quoting G.L.c. 275, §2. The Court observed that this statute "requires [5] a threat (against someone) of a crime (against the person or property of another), but does not state that the threat be issued against the intended crime victim." Id. at 427-28. The Court concluded that the Legislature chose "not to specify that there be identity between the target of the threat and the target of the threatened crime[,]" and construed the statute as not requiring that the target of the threat be the same person as the target of the threatened crime. Id. at 428 (emphasis omitted).

The Court in Commonwealth v. Snow, 269 Mass. 598, 601-02, 169 N.E. 542 (1930) interpreted G.L.c. 265, §25 (attempted extortion) in a similar manner. Section 25 states: HN4 "Whoever . . . maliciously threatens . . . an injury to the person or property of another, with intent thereby to extort money or any pecuniary advantage, or with intent to compel the person so threatened to do any act against his will, shall be punished." Id. at 601, quoting G.L.c. 265, §25 (internal quotes and numerals omitted). In this statute, there is "no express or implied limitation as to the person to whom the threat is made, or as to the person from whom it is intended to extort money or other pecuniary advantage." Id. at 601. The [6] Court concluded:

According to the natural meaning and the grammatical construction of this part of the section, the threat may be made to anybody . . . The only requirement for the establishment of the crime thereby created is that the specific threat be made with the intent to extort . . . The one making the threat need not even have a definite person in mind as the person from whom the money . . . may be extorted. That part of the statute would be satisfied by intent to extort the money or pecuniary advantage from anybody.

Id. at 602.
As in Hamilton and Snow, §131M lacks words of limitation identifying the person who is required to have lawfully possessed the device prior to September 13, 1994, such as, "not otherwise lawfully possessed by such person." Cf. G.L.c. 265, §43, (defining crime of stalking as "willfully and maliciously engag[ing] in a knowing pattern of conduct . . . directed at a specific person which seriously alarms or annoys that person . . .") (emphasis added). Even if the inclusion of such words would further the legislative purpose of §131M, HN5 "[the court] cannot supply words the Legislature chose not to include." Commonwealth v. Hamilton, 459 Mass. 422, 435, 945 N.E.2d 877 (2011) [7] (citation omitted). Absent any such limiting language, the phrase "can plausibly be found to be ambiguous." Carrion, 431 Mass. at 45.2 The statute reasonably may be read as requiring the lawful possession of a large capacity feeding device by any person prior to September 13, 1994, in order for the possession of such a device to be lawful. HN6 The rule of lenity requires that the statute be interpreted in this way to "give the defendant the benefit of the ambiguity." Id. at 45-46. Because no evidence was presented to the grand jury that no other person lawfully possessed the large capacity feeding devices that Mr. Mokdad possessed, the court allows his motion for reconsideration, vacates its prior decision denying the motion to dismiss, and allows Mr. Mokdad's motion to dismiss indictments 001 and 002.

ORDER
Mr. Mokdad's motion for reconsideration on the court's motion to dismiss as to indictments 001 and 002 (paper #11) is ALLOWED. The court's prior decision denying Mr. Modad's motion to dismiss (paper #10) is VACATED. Mr. Mokdad's motion to dismiss (paper #7) indictments 001 and 002 is ALLOWED.

John T. Lu

Justice of the Superior Court

DATED: May 6, 2014

Last edited:
This case shows how evil the storage statute is. The guy did nothing and they had nothing except the storage charge. Although I think in this case the gun was accessible to children so I am less inclined to shed a tear, but the statute is still evil.

Funny that they would charge him with postban LCAFD charge but not charge/indict NSF. (IIRC theres another law which makes dealers liable for this.) Shows you that even the DA is not very confident with that law. The other possibility is they swung a deal with NSF not to whack them if they cooperated...?

Last edited:
This case shows how evil the storage statute is. The guy did nothing and they had nothing except the storage charge. Although I think in this case the gun was accessible to children so I am less inclined to shed a tear, but the statute is still evil.

Yes, it is particularly evil, and people don't get it when I tell them the safe storage BS is the #1 way to get bagged in MA even with an LTC... I find it amusing when I run into MA guys who keep a gun floating around their house but shit themselves with fear over the slight possibility that they might have a postban mag....[thinking]

Wow, that indictment and the "state's position" smells rotten, like it has ER's filthy fingerprints all over it.

Too bad they didn't go back to the source of the wording, lifted verbatim from Fed Law and the Tech Branch of BATFE did have interpretations of it IIRC.

Given EOPS position, I have to ask why they didn't also indict NSF? Selling it is the same crime as possessing it! Every MA dealer is selling pre-ban mags and according to ER they are violating that same law per EOPS interpretation! It would make for some interesting amusement, assuming every dealer didn't roll over (which is more than likely).

So basically, the state tried to argue that it is only legal to possess a preban mag if you personally possessed that mag before Sept 1994, and the judge ruled that that's bogus. I assume this means his mags were in fact preban.

So basically, the state tried to argue that it is only legal to possess a preban mag if you personally possessed that mag before Sept 1994, and the judge ruled that that's bogus. I assume this means his mags were in fact preban.

Preban and he bought them from an FFL, NSF.

Preban and he bought them from an FFL, NSF.

C. 140 § 131M Assault Weapons Sales Ban
No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

So if it's illegal for the guy to possess, it was also illegal for NSF to sell it. No doubt they got a sweetheart deal for being a rat. [angry]

But.....

But for their search pursuant to WHAT did they find the "illegal storage"???

Did he allow them in? Did they have a warrant for the pre-bans... that weren't illegal?

Back
Top Bottom