• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone have experience with the 277 Wolverine?

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
.277 Wolverine

The .277 Wolverine (277 WLV) was designed to effectively utilize abundant 5.56 cases and 6.8 (.277) projectiles in various weights. It combines excellent performance with versatility by using all standard AR15 mil-spec parts and magazines, with a barrel swap being the only thing necessary

This looks interesting. Has anyone built/shot one?

If so, do you load for it? Where do you get the data?

sorry no experience with cartridge. agree looks interesting. sort of like a halfway between 5.56 and .300 blk. however i would think that during developement of 6.8 spc this type of approach was considered. that is just necking out the .223 cartridge.

if it can put a 110 gr V max at 2500 ft/s that's pretty good. seems a little faster than 300 blk with better sectional density for sure.

No personal experience. I was wondering if this is the mystery "6.8mm round" the .mil recently adopted.
It's pretty much a wildcat round in the early stages of becoming mainstream.

Uses 5.56 NATO parent case shortened and necked up by resizing. Only a barrel change on an ar15 is needed to convert. Reloaders can use 5.56nato brass and roll their own.....standard mags are used.

Has nothing to do with any military involvement.

I believe Full.Lead.Taco on Youtube has a few videos featuring the .277 Wolverine, I believe he was using Western Powders and maybe even Trail Boss for plinkers.

Interesting, mostly from the aspect of being able to use pre-ban mags. Otherwise I would choose Grendel over it any day of the week. 6.8 has good hunting bullets, but the 6.5 holds onto velocity better so it doesn’t matter as much when you’re starting out slower (which happens in these types of niche conversions)

In comparison to 300 BLK, it does seem like 277 Wolverine provides some good looking subsonic defensive ammo. And I think it’d likely shoot flatter when using supersonic.

I’m curious about a couple things regarding 277 Wolverine:
1: Can it be accidentally chambered into a 5.56 gun, with catastrophic results, like 300BLK?

2: What kinds of velocities does it get out of an SBR? I’m curious about its comparison to 6.5 Grendel in the 12” range, or to 300 BLK in the 9” range. I’ve only found 16” 277 Wolverine velocities.

I’ll have to do some more research.

Apparently you can get 95gr TTSX out of a 10.5” barrel at 2540 f/s. Not bad.

If this leaves wildcat status and one can’t accidentally chamber it in a 5.56 gun, I might go 277 W rather than 300BLK for a future SBR.

Back
Top Bottom