• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone have a Silent Buffer Spring I can take a look at?

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Personal research for an unrelated project for a client. Before I throw down the coin and call it a "business expense," does anyone have a JP Silent Captured Recoil Buffer Spring, or similar, that I can take a look at? Happy to drive to you; ideally somewhere near Medford.

Thanks in advance.

I use a Endine hydraulic buffer if you are out my way stop by and we can go to the range and shoot and let you try it out. Wilbraham MA. The range is free I can bring a guest.

I have one. I could meet at afs or mfs if you want to try it out. You pay the range fees.
This might work. While shooting it would certainly be fun, right now my question is one of mechanical function - would it be possible to pull it from the buffer tube and poke around for 2 minutes? This is research for a product design that's tangent to our normal use. Happy to buy a beer/coffee for your trouble. Are you available tomorrow morning?

I use a Endine hydraulic buffer if you are out my way stop by and we can go to the range and shoot and let you try it out. Wilbraham MA. The range is free I can bring a guest.
Thanks so much for the offer. Unfortunately, in this case, I think your buffer wouldn't be apples-to-apples enough.

I have one in my 9MM JP EBR. PM me if you want to meet up at Hopkinton Sportsmens some time. Yes, you can field strip the weapon and pull out the buffer assembly for a peek.

OK the offer still stands if you want to try it out anyway.

I have one in my 9MM JP EBR. PM me if you want to meet up at Hopkinton Sportsmens some time. Yes, you can field strip the weapon and pull out the buffer assembly for a peek.

Are either of you around tomorrow morning? Happy to come out and meet with you. Would 0930 or 1000 work?

Or Sunday morning?

Last edited:
I don't really understand the concept. Shooting a 5.56 or 223, even suppressed, is not hearing safe, but it's the sound of the spring getting compressed that bothers you?

I don't really understand the concept. Shooting a 5.56 or 223, even suppressed, is not hearing safe, but it's the sound of the spring getting compressed that bothers you?

He didn't say it was for firearm research. Could be for bike shocks or similar. I'm kind of curious now.

The first time I fired an AR I just looked at it and thought 'ewww'. Sounded, through conduction, like a cheese grater. I put one of these 'silent captured springs' in it and found it to be great improvement. I loaned it to one of the guys at my local gun store to try. When I saw him next he asked how much it cost then just gave me the money jokingly saying "I'm not taking it out of my gun". I ordered two new ones for my ARs. Might not be worth it to everyone but I find it makes my ARs much more pleasant to shoot.

I will be doing maintenance work at the Hopkinton club Sunday from about 10AM to mid afternoon. If you want to try my 9x19 JP EBR, drop me a note and I'll bring it with me so I can take a short break.

I am looking to revive this thread for some feedback as I am curious to know if this buffer/spring only helps with feel and sound or actually helps with recoil. I have an 9mm SBR that I was expecting to be a softer shooter than it feels (it is not bad by any stretch but just more than expected)

I am currently running a Spikes 9mm heavy buffer:
ST-9X 9mm heavy buffer

It is a Colt 9mm BCG, Carbine buffer tube but not sure the spring in there.

Have heard good things about the JP Silent Spring setup but don't care about noise but looking to smooth it out. Or maybe I didn't realize that blowback carbines have mroe recoil than I realized.

Last edited:

It allows for the removal of the buffer detent so that can no longer be a point of failure on your rifle, it has adjustable weights, and is a capture spring for a one-piece easier disassembly. Is it a lot of money for a spring kit? Yes. Are there dumber things to blow $150 on, also yes. Its essentially an over engineered part to remove VERY minor issues, but if you have the $, why not?

I have an Endine hydraulic buffer in my CAR15 clone. If you are interested in taking a look and shooting it let me know.

From some other research, it seems Enidine stopped selling them to the public around 2013 or so.

6 months later, I've yet to pull this trigger, so to speak. LOL

Yes 5.56 semi auto. I was not aware that this buffer was no longer available.
I just checked and the KYNTEC CORPORATION - AR-15 HYDRAULIC RECOIL BUFFER is available at Brownells and this buffer looks the same as the Enidine I have in my CAR 15

It allows for the removal of the buffer detent so that can no longer be a point of failure on your rifle, it has adjustable weights, and is a capture spring for a one-piece easier disassembly. Is it a lot of money for a spring kit? Yes. Are there dumber things to blow $150 on, also yes. Its essentially an over engineered part to remove VERY minor issues, but if you have the $, why not?

I had to keep the buffer detent due to the Law Tactical folding stock I have (side note: if you intend to use this buffer & the law tactical folder together, you need to buy a special bolt extension as the one that comes with it will not work: Tactical (Folding) Bolt Carrier Extension)

He didn't say it was for firearm research. Could be for bike shocks or similar. I'm kind of curious now.

iu

I love the sound of a reciprocating buffer spring in my right ear...

Sounds like it says "SEND IT"...

Back
Top Bottom