• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone else have this problem with 1911's

paracarry

NES Member
I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years and have owned many different 1911's over the years. Over the past few years when I shoot, the bottom part of my trigger finger gets chewed up by the hole in the face of the trigger, it does not matter how or where I place my finger on the trigger, after a few shots skin is missing and I am bleeding. usually I put a Band-Aid on first and can get through a range session. I did have the hole in the face of the trigger beveled and the serrations smoothed up a bit on a couple of them that helped a little bit. I shot my new Sig ultra compact yesterday put a Band-Aid on first and shot 100 rounds. the trigger chewed through the Band-Aid and my finger. I love my 1911's but it's getting painful! never had the problem before. Do they make a trigger without the trigger stop adjustment hole? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Leave the sarcasm to a minimum. Greg Derr feel free to comment, they may be heading your way.

They make about 9000 1911 triggers you just need to get one that is set up different. You can even get a solid if you want, probably.

-Mike

Should be easy enough to take the trigger out and fill the hole with quick setting JB Weld after de-greasing... Or like drgrant said find a solid trigger the right length.

John

YES. I am and it's driving me crazy! Thank you for starting this thread lol. I have a DW Pointman 9 that's had an action job - 3.5 pounds. I tried using sandpaper to smooth out the trigger serrations but I need to fill in the over travel screw hole as I develop a blister after 150 rounds.

I never use use to get this with my S&W pro series 1911 but that's when I use to shoot using the first joint (not the best position for accuracy) of my finger not the first tip/pad. I have fairly long fingers so it's taken some practice to use a different position.

I was wondering if I should try one of those polymer STI triggers?

I'll be emailing Lou at business end customs soon to see what he recommends.

Last edited:
Shoot more, toughen up your hands. I have put over 200,000 rounds through 1911s and clones with no finger problems. All of the triggers were serrated, and most had over travel stops.

Shoot more, toughen up your hands. I have put over 200,000 rounds through 1911s and clones with no finger problems. All of the triggers were serrated, and most had over travel stops.
Happy for you that it works for you, it doesn't for me, like I said in my post I have been shooting them for over 35 years and it is just recently that this is becoming a problem. You probably do have me beat by round count by about 10-20 thousand, but I don't think it would make much difference.

Happy for you that it works for you, it doesn't for me, like I said in my post I have been shooting them for over 35 years and it is just recently that this is becoming a problem. You probably do have me beat by round count by about 10-20 thousand, but I don't think it would make much difference.

I don't remember having too much of an issue in the summer months. I wonder if my skin being dried out in the winter has something to do with it? Not sure.

Dumb question but I assume you use the first pad of your finger not the first joint? Just curious.

Are you talking about the hole that the overtravel/ set screew goes in? Perhaps a Dremel with a pointed cratex tip to polish out any small burrs on the trigger.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the hole that the overtravel/ set scree goes in? Perhaps a Dremel with a pointed cratex tip to polish out any small burrs on the trigger.

Yes. But I'm not sure burrs are the problem? (for me anyway). I get a blister with the exact same shape/size as the overtravel screw hole on the bottom portion of my finger pad. No cuts or bruises. I think the fact that a small portion of finger is constantly on that hole, it becomes irritated? Now I'm starting to wonder if my finger is sliding on the trigger as I pull the trigger?

I should go back to how I use to position my finger - using the first joint of my finger and see if it helps and my accuracy doesn't change. I think having fairly long fingers, I may be better off using the joint of my finger. I'll have to do more shooting to see.

Try adding some more over travel so you aren't hitting a hard stop during recoil. Do you pin the trigger during recoil?
A change in grip might help too

Good point. That certainly seems like a possible issue since there is little to no overtravel.

I'm pretty sure I pin the trigger during recoil. While I'm bringing the gun back down I release the trigger and take up the pretravel (which isn't much of course) so when my sights are back on target the shot breaks again.

in all seriousness, try putting working hands cream on your hands regularly. The green tin...your hands are probably dried out from the winter. If this is a new problem for you, it's probably not the gun.

In regards to some of the comments, I use the pad of my finger, It doesn't matter winter summer spring or fall it cuts in to my finger I have had the hole chamfered and serrations smoothed out a little bit on 2 of my guns. It helped a little. This has been happening just over the last 5 years, with Para's, S&W's, Rugers and Sig's and yes even a friends Kimber. I am thinking on the lines of the suggestion of a smooth trigger with no hole. Just hate the idea of changing them all.

I don't remember having too much of an issue in the summer months. I wonder if my skin being dried out in the winter has something to do with it? Not sure.

You had bleeding / cracked skin with my Ruger .44 in the cold of Nov '14 too.

OP: Going to follow thread regardless. Best luck in finding a solution.

You had bleeding / cracked skin with my Ruger .44 in the cold of Nov '14 too.

Sssh you're not suppose to announce that to NES[rofl]

Kidding aside, I can't remember what happened that time. I think my trigger fingernail scraped my support hand during recoil? Hey that was my first time with 44 mag haha. Good times!

I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years and have owned many different 1911's over the years. Over the past few years when I shoot, the bottom part of my trigger finger gets chewed up by the hole in the face of the trigger, it does not matter how or where I place my finger on the trigger, after a few shots skin is missing and I am bleeding. usually I put a Band-Aid on first and can get through a range session. I did have the hole in the face of the trigger beveled and the serrations smoothed up a bit on a couple of them that helped a little bit. I shot my new Sig ultra compact yesterday put a Band-Aid on first and shot 100 rounds. the trigger chewed through the Band-Aid and my finger. I love my 1911's but it's getting painful! never had the problem before. Do they make a trigger without the trigger stop adjustment hole? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Leave the sarcasm to a minimum. Greg Derr feel free to comment, they may be heading your way.

I had this issue on my SW1911PD!
It just stopped doing it one day. Maybe my finger got used to it? I considered changing to a smooth faced trigger or at least a trigger without that adjustment hole in it.

I would just slightly chamfer the hole with a pen knife or something. Is there a burr that you can feel around the edge?

I would just slightly chamfer the hole with a pen knife or something. Is there a burr that you can feel around the edge?

Since experiencing the problem over a year ago, the culprit (in my case) was the gap between the trigger and the bottom of the trigger guard. I sent the whole gun back to Wilson and it tightened up..no more problems.

Back
Top Bottom