Does anyone carry a makarov?

sgtdemeo

Banned
Does anyone carry a mak? If so, what do you use to carry? What ammo is your fav? What holster? Thanks!

Does anyone carry a mak? If so, what do you use to carry? What ammo is your fav? What holster? Thanks!

Did for a while and will again!!
Mine is an SS/ EG. I had an ugly uncle mikes (generic ppk/mak fabric) IWB that worked, but not well. I recently got a nice biacnhi from one of the members here but, have not given it the test flight yet. Looks good though.

on the loads, russian HP..

Yes, I occasionally carry a Bulgarian Mak in the Don Hume JIT holster (#59). You need a good gun belt to carry all day. I carry at about 4:00 - 5:00. The ammo I carry are hollow points with a spare mag.

Ammo is Barnaul made in Russia.

I also have part of a bicycle inner tube around the pistol grip that helps keep it from slipping out of my hand.

Scooter58

I haven't been carrying my Makarovs lately (the Kahr K40 has taken over that role) but when/if I do I have a nylon IWB I bought from Makarov.com when they were still selling accessories. It works great (well, re-holstering sucks as with any non-reinforced holster).

I had some Hornady HP ammo for the Mak a while back but haven't been able to get my hands on any since then. Right now I've got a handful of CCI aluminum case HP's that were given to me. I tried a few mags of those at the Mansfield shoot and one round jammed on the ramp! [angry] That's the first malfunction of any kind I've ever had with either of my East German Maks.

Amazing as it may seem... I have put all manner of cheap ass crap ammo through my mak and I have never once had a ftf.

And it has really been a very accurate shooter as well..

I carried an East Germany Makarov for years until I switched to an H&K P7M8 and the Kahr PM-9. The Don Hume holster for it works good and the ammo was Hornady XTP's.

I also had problems with the CCI Blazer in my Makarov, from what I remember, I think the OAL was just a hair too long for the gun.

Other then the Blazer ammo, the gun was and is 100% reliable, very accurate and still a good carry gun

It's really a shame that these completely dried up.
EG maks were always something you had to seek out. But the run of the mill Rooski and Bulgies are just non existant now. They were always really great guns for short money and 9*18 is a pretty hot little round (esp up against any 380) And TT33s... forget it!!! nowhere!!!

I haven't carried a Makarov but I have carried a CZ-82 which shoots the same round and can still be had for less than $200. I forget what ammo I used to carry in it but if I remember correctly they were Cor-Bon JHPs. Manchester Firing Line had a JHP defensive load in 9x18mm last time I was there.
It was a great little gun and having 12+1 in a gun that size was nice.

I carry a Russian Mak because my East German one is too sweet to abuse. I LOVE makarovs. They are so accurate and powerful for their size. Oh how I wish I had bought a Bulgarian and Chinese one when they were cheap, just to have a whole collection!

Birdman

I used to carry my russian Mak, but now I keep it in the safe and shoot it whenever I want. I still regret that I wanted to buy a second one (for $100) back in the day when you could. I really wish I had back then.

I carry a glock now (or SW442) : I will never give up my Mak!

I have a Crossbreed supertuck deluxe for my CZ-82, carries great, but not too happy with the Russian bear JHP, been looking for modern ammo so far no luck.

Extemely accurate, and 12+1 is amazing in such a small package. I prefer to carry hammer down with double action trigger (safe with CZ) rather than cocked&locked, but hate having to drop hammer the "old fashioned" way

never carried one but shot my first one over Christmas while in Texas visiting my Uncle! He's an ex marine sniper and has a HUGE arsenal to choose from...so we took out a makarov, his new kimber .45, and the AK. The makarov was fun in that it had barely any recoil at all! I seriously thought I was shooting a .22...so I'm surprised others are referring to it as a hot little round. Maybe I'm just a beast? Either which way...for the record...the makarov I was ALL over the place on the target...best grouping was maybe 5-6 inches. With the much more powerful .45 in the Kimber I was grouping under 2 inches. I guess I just really hate shooting DA pistols!

Back
Top Bottom