Does anyone bother to fix scopes?

In a place near a place that abuts another place.
Hello, Bottomless Well of Firearms Info,

I acquired a scope as a freebie since it was attached to the rifle I was purchasing.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work since I can spin the knobs and distance adjustments without any noticeable result.
The question I have: Do you folks bother to fix them or have them fixed? Because it was free, I'm leaning toward chucking it and getting a new one.

I'm not sure what to tell you it has, but I'll rattle off what I see:

"S" logo - Shaped like a circle, in red

The far end has adjustment for 20 to 1000yd.

The near end has an adjustment that shows the following:
D (in white) 450 400 350 300 250 200 150 D
E (in red) 600 525 475 400 325 250 200 E
A (in green) 350 300 275 225 200 150 100 A
12 10 8 7 6 5 4

It also has the up/down and left/right knobs.

I am curious if you folks know or have a guess at the maker, what may have happened (yeah, could be all kinds of stuff), and whether of not fixing it is worthwhile.

Thanks.

If it was like a 4 grand rifle scope you got for free it may be worth it to have it fixed by the manufacturer. If its a 20 dollar piece of shit I'd try shooting through it for fun, Gunny Hathcock style.

Mike

You won't see any noticable effect adjusting the zeroing knobs while hand holding - mount the scope on a rifle in a vise and change the zeroing and you will see the aim point move.

For the adjustable objective:
1 - look at a plain bright surface (sky is good for this) and adjust diopter to bring the crosshairs into sharp focus
2 - adjust the AO to the distance of a known object and check to see if it is in sharp focus (near objects are easier to see the AO working)

I have fixed a couple of scopes in the past - not really worth it unless you have the spanner wrenches to disassemble (access to dry nitrogen also helps a lot)

Back
Top Bottom