Does Anyone Appendix Carry?

Where is the muzzle pointed when holstering/unholstering? That direction alone makes a negligent discharge more likely to hit someone, namely, yourself. Note the location of your femoral artery. Training instructors not wanting students they don't know in a position where this is the case makes sense. That's all I'm saying. I'm guessing that is probably there logic in restricting the use of them.

Shoulder holsters certainly can be just as dangerous if there are people standing behind them.

Where is the muzzle pointed when holstering/unholstering? That direction alone makes a negligent discharge more likely to hit someone, namely, yourself. Note the location of your femoral artery. Training instructors not wanting students they don't know in a position where this is the case makes sense. That's all I'm saying. I'm guessing that is probably there logic in restricting the use of them.

Shoulder holsters certainly can be just as dangerous if there are people standing behind them.

I understand there are risks and they can run their classes however they want, but honestly, any on the body or IWB carry position holds some form of danger from misuse or lapse. Momentary lapse while unholstering from the shoulder...oh shit, I just shot through my brachial artery. Momentary lapse while unholstering from IWB...oh shit, I just shot through my torso through a slew of arteries and organs. Or even OWB, through your leg like Tex Grebner.

Last edited:

And many an instructor will now allow those either for that very reason.

I appendix carry in s 508 holsters IWB. When I sit I just move my waist up a bit so it doesn't press into me. I don't get the fear of shooting yourself or anything. You have bigger problems if you think the gun is just going to go off on you're own. That's a confidence problem and you prob shouldn't own a gun. As for carrying on an empty chamber you might as well not carry

The issue isn't the concern that the gun might off on its own while in the holster. That ABSOLUTELY is not the issue.

The issue is if you have a negligent discharge while drawing or holstering, you are more likely to have a serious injury than if you were using a hip holster.

Note, I do have appendix holsters and I do use them. But I am also well aware that a screw up while using an appendix holster could easily kill me.

I don't know about Mike, but Larry stated due to there being accidents in several other instructors classes and he (understandably so) feels it's not worth the risk in his courses.

Would be curious to see the exact modes of failure in these accidents... and whehter they were self inflicted vs hitting someone else on the line, etc.

-Mike

The issue isn't the concern that the gun might off on its own while in the holster. That ABSOLUTELY is not the issue.

The issue is if you have a negligent discharge while drawing or holstering, you are more likely to have a serious injury than if you were using a hip holster.

Note, I do have appendix holsters and I do use them. But I am also well aware that a screw up while using an appendix holster could easily kill me.
Are you AIWB a serpa ?? I kid I kid. I joke I joke. No valid point. I'm mainly talking about all the. I'll shoot my junk off and stuff lol

another concern is pressure causing your junk to fall asleep depending on placement. I think underwhere had a story of that...

That prospect is laughable for someone of my height and body style. I go rear of the hip on my strong side. Even when I was skinny that wouldn't work the way I fold being a tall mofo.

That was a simple, well reasoned response by TG. I've removed all types of things in my classes on a case by case basis. It's based off what I see, what the individual is capable of, and how fast they can make corrections... but I don't blanket ban anything that is safe and based on common sense. The flip side to that is, it's LAV's classes, and he can do what he wants. I just wish he considered the 'gravitas' he has, and what impacts his statements have on the shooting community as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom