Does Anyone Appendix Carry?

I've got a Raven Vanguard 2. It is comfortable, but the problem is that the gun is just not stable.

Agreed.

I didn't like the VG2 because its instability didn't keep the pistol in a consistent orientation, which adds time to establishing a grip.

Also, re holstering the VG2 (correctly) can be time consuming - which tends to "drag out" range training.

I usually carry a G36 at 4:00 in an Elite holster, but occasionally I'll carry appendix style. It's comfortable standing, more/less sitting, but tying my right shoe is challenging!

Btw, the G36 might be a tad thinner than the 26, and holds 6 .45 rounds, which should be enough to take down anything short of Cape Buffalo. I have 1 extra mag in my pocket. It's small enough and powerful enough to be a year round carry choice. It's utterly invisible under even a t-shirt, but I tend to wear XL shirts when I'm more of an L body type. My one time pec muscles, rapidly turning to man boobs, still give me some overhang to hide my CC. Elite IWB holsters are under $10 and are well made and simple/reliable, which is the way I like it!

Finally, I don't carry a round in the chamber, because I feel that in the unlikely case I'll be attacked in Lexington area, I should perceive of the threat first to get ready. It's a risk, albeit slight, but I'd rather have my G36 to rack first, than a) nothing, b)blowing my balls off and becoming a eunuch in the emperors court, not to mention embarrassing gun owners everywhere!

I've tried appendix carry and came to the conclusion I didn't like the muzzle pointing at my junk or my leg. Always wondered why the "don't point the muzzle at something you're not willing to destroy" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.

If you were to pull the trigger of your gun where ever it's situated on your body, you're likely to strike something you don't want, glute, thigh, etc. , hence the other rule about not having finger on trigger 'till fully cleared and gun pointing in the direction you want and all that, That's training, and training. The gun during the draw from appendix actually further from your body and the muzzle further from parts of yourself you don't want to shoot than other CCW carry locations if you watch the muzzle while drawing slowly, assuming good draw stroke.

If you simply don't like the idea of where the gun points while in its holster with appendix, that's a different issue that's more psychological and similar to those who don't like the idea of carrying with a rnd in the chamber feeling it's safer, etc.

...re holstering the VG2 (correctly) can be time consuming - which tends to "drag out" range training.

And there is the heat issue, too. Even with a full-coverage Kydex holster, the heat can get very uncomfortable. Custom Carry Concepts offers heat shields to mitigate it.

I wouldn't want to try to use a VG-2 for any shooting course involving any strings of fire.

And there is the heat issue, too. Even with a full-coverage Kydex holster, the heat can get very uncomfortable. Custom Carry Concepts offers heat shields to mitigate it. I wouldn't want to try to use a VG-2 for any shooting course involving any strings of fire.

It's not designed for that. You need to remove the VG2 and use two hands to re holster. That is the nature of such minimalist holsters. They aren't designed for extensive range use.

G33 in vanguard 2 @ 1-2 and Kydex 508holsters spare mag 10-11 . Just moved a house the past 3 days no issues.

As for the VG2, you likely wont be worried about re-holstering in MA if you need to draw.

Btw, the G36 might be a tad thinner than the 26, and holds 6 .45 rounds, which should be enough to take down anything short of Cape Buffalo.

Assuming you are very accurate under stress. Available evidence indicates that you're probably not. My preference is # of rounds wins over caliber. I carry a G26 AWB.

Finally, I don't carry a round in the chamber, because I feel that in the unlikely case I'll be attacked in Lexington area, I should perceive of the threat first to get ready. It's a risk, albeit slight, but I'd rather have my G36 to rack first, than a) nothing, b)blowing my balls off and becoming a eunuch in the emperors court, not to mention embarrassing gun owners everywhere!

Oops. Does your Elite holster not cover your trigger guard?

Not a fan of elites. They seem to be a generic holster that most gun shops carry.

But to each his own.

Sent from my mobile phone from behind enemy lines.

SR9C in an Elite holster. Some angles are perfect fit, while others make sitting uncomfortable. Take a few adjustments, but I don't know its there most of the time. Tying my shoes is the only exception, and that doesn't feel good even when I'm not carrying.

Interesting. That is a really solid advantage right there, unless they are using magnetometers, that is.

They are now but I still could have easily gotten anything I wanted past the checkpoint via social engineering, I'm just going to leave it at that. It's more along the lines of feel good BS than actual security. Let's put it this way, I didn't see people going through the metal detector and backing out like 900 times to figure out what was setting it off.

-Mike

Anyone tried the Haley/Gcode Incog appendix holster? I keep looking at them but wonder how comfortable they would be. I like the idea though. Seems like a quality rig.

I appendix carry in s 508 holsters IWB. When I sit I just move my waist up a bit so it doesn't press into me. I don't get the fear of shooting yourself or anything. You have bigger problems if you think the gun is just going to go off on you're own. That's a confidence problem and you prob shouldn't own a gun. As for carrying on an empty chamber you might as well not carry

Last edited:
I appendix carry in s 508 holsters IWB. When I sit I just move my waist up a bit so it doesn't press into me. I don't get the fear of shooting yourself or anything. You have bigger problems if you think the gun is just going to go off on you're own. That's a confidence problem and you prob shouldn't own a gun. As for carrying on an empty chamber you might as well not carry

I was not aware of that MA based company. Thanx for the heads up.

I don't buy many holsters. I've sorta lucked out where I've really liked the ones I've gotten from him so I don't waste money searching for one and it supports local guys

I went and joined their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/508holsters

I have a JM Custom coming in now (see review linked above) or I'd have given 508 a try. As always, I'm sure an excuse to "need" another at some point will arise. [wink]

I'm currently carrying AIWB with a G30, in an elite holster right now cause it was free with the gun..As others have said the only real uncomfortable task is tying my right shoe, for sitting I just pull my pants up slightly and it allows the butt to rotate forward with my torso... I've been eyeballing 508s appendix holster for a bit and will probably purchase at some point.

If anyone is interested the gun parlor has a pretty good selection of 508 holsters, nothing in G30 unfortunately since I'd love to try before ordering.

I'm currently carrying AIWB with a G30, in an elite holster right now cause it was free with the gun..As others have said the only real uncomfortable task is tying my right shoe, for sitting I just pull my pants up slightly and it allows the butt to rotate forward with my torso... I've been eyeballing 508s appendix holster for a bit and will probably purchase at some point.

If anyone is interested the gun parlor has a pretty good selection of 508 holsters, nothing in G30 unfortunately since I'd love to try before ordering.

He's quick with building it and is good at getting back to you with questions or recommendations

Larry Vickers, and Mike Pannone have recently come out saying they will be putting some significant restrictions on appendix carry in their open enrollment classes. Since they are both Delta guys, it will be interesting watching the ripple effect.

Larry Vickers, and Mike Pannone have recently come out saying they will be putting some significant restrictions on appendix carry in their open enrollment classes. Since they are both Delta guys, it will be interesting watching the ripple effect.

Oh god everyone will be switching to whatever they say lol

I don't know about Mike, but Larry stated due to there being accidents in several other instructors classes and he (understandably so) feels it's not worth the risk in his courses.

I don't know about Mike, but Larry stated due to there being accidents in several other instructors classes and he (understandably so) feels it's not worth the risk in his courses.

Yup. I didn't post it as a tactical 'sky is falling' post... but I'm sure with the volume they teach, they've seen some shit. Mike Pannone carrys appendix a lot. I think its just a matter of them vetting people and gear more due to popularity.

While you need to always be safe when handling firearms, unconditionally; a momentary lapse when holstering/unholstering while carrying appendix can have greater consequences. Maybe not a good reason to not appendix carry, but probably a good one to not let people do it in a training class that anyone with any skill level can attended that involves a good deal of holstering and unholstering.

H&K P30 9mm, H&K HK45c, Glock 19 or Walther PPS 9mm. It's a bit uncomfortable in the beginning but the pros are evident after you get accustomed to carrying this way. I use a Tagua IWB and have experimented with LongHorn. I like the DeSantis gunhide for nylon options and tauga for leather. Some people try it for a week and stop, I'd encourage a month of wearing it appendix style to be sure if it will or will not work for you.
Brian
Zero Hour Arms

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! Nice!
Zero Hour Arms

While you need to always be safe when handling firearms, unconditionally; a momentary lapse when holstering/unholstering while carrying appendix can have greater consequences. Maybe not a good reason to not appendix carry, but probably a good one to not let people do it in a training class that anyone with any skill level can attended that involves a good deal of holstering and unholstering.

Couldn't the same can be said about shoulder holsters as well? A momentary lapse can spell danger regardless of carry method. In all honesty, I feel more comfortable holstering while appendix carrying then 4 or 5 IWB carry. Safe firearm manipulation should be the same regardless of what carry method you use. As long as that is standardized in your routine, I feel better holstering having a full visual of the holster directly below me at my 12 or 1 rather than mostly relying on feel and muscle memory (unless you are always peeking behind you) when reholstering at 4 or 5.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom