Does Anyone Appendix Carry?

Used to appendix carry a S&W 1911 E-series bobtail with a G-Code INCOG. The only issue I found really was the muzzle jamming into my leg when seated. That is a fairly large gun in regards to carrying, but I am picking up a G26 soon and I plan on trying appendix with it again as I feel it will be much easier with a shorter barrel and grip.

I've tried appendix carry and came to the conclusion I didn't like the muzzle pointing at my junk or my leg. Always wondered why the "don't point the muzzle at something you're not willing to destroy" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.

I've tried appendix carry and came to the conclusion I didn't like the muzzle pointing at my junk or my leg. Always wondered why the "don't point the muzzle at something you're not willing to destroy" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.
What if you're carrying at 300 on the second floor of your house?

What if you're carrying at 300 on the second floor of your house?

That's another story. Your muzzle has to point somewhere, right? If safely holstered, you're all set on second, third floor. What worries me about appendix carry is that most accidents happen on the draw or upon reholstering. I don't care how confident you are in your ability, accidents do happen even with professionals. I'd rather not put a round in my d*ck or technically even worse, my leg, which could end badly.

If you like appendix carry, go ahead and do it. Lots of tacticool instructors do it so that's the main reason it has taken off the way it has. It is definitely very concealable, and I even found it pretty comfortable. Like I said though, just didn't like the muzzle orientation covering my leg/groin area.

Something about the muzzle direction while appendix carrying is a bit uncomfortable for me. Done it a few times but not really my thing. Can be awkward when sitting. My views on it are subject to change.

That's another story. Your muzzle has to point somewhere, right? If safely holstered, you're all set on second, third floor. What worries me about appendix carry is that most accidents happen on the draw or upon reholstering. I don't care how confident you are in your ability, accidents do happen even with professionals. I'd rather not put a round in my d*ck or technically even worse, my leg, which could end badly.

If you like appendix carry, go ahead and do it. Lots of tacticool instructors do it so that's the main reason it has taken off the way it has. It is definitely very concealable, and I even found it pretty comfortable. Like I said though, just didn't like the muzzle orientation covering my leg/groin area.
I agree, more or less, but I was just asking. I usually carry around 400. The most uncomfortable thing about a iwb for me is drawing while seated. On the surface I was initially sold on aiwb carry cause "wow look how accessible it is while sitting!". Watched a few videos on it. Then I kept noticing that when you draw it's impossible not to muzzle sweep your lap. That very nearly killed it for me.

But, if you like it go for it. Who knows, my opinion might change .

G26 in a Dale Fricke Archangel, all day every day. Wear it on all day road trips routinely and never have a bit of discomfort. I am 5'10" 170#. My only complaint is that it makes trips to the head a little more complicated than a 4:00 carry would.

The key is that it needs to ride high enough that when you bend at the waist the pistol rotates with your torso, rather than you jamming your stomach into the grip.

This.

Lots of tacticool instructors do it so that's the main reason it has taken off the way it has. It is definitely very concealable, and I even found it pretty comfortable. Like I said though, just didn't like the muzzle orientation covering my leg/groin area.

It's not just about tacticool and concealability, although it does have that going for it. The gun's location is always visible to you, so you know if your cover garment is riding up over it. It doesn't expose when you bend over. You can easily visually check that the holster is clear when reholstering. It is more secure, i.e., less susceptible to getting swiped from you. It doesn't bump or catch on things. Since the front torso is softer than the hip, it doesn't require as much extra room in your pants, meaning you don't have to upsize your pants as much as you would with a 4:00. It is at least as fast to draw as hip carry (I think it's faster; the gun has less distance to travel and rotate in order to point at a target in front of you). You can get both hands on the gun faster. You can draw with your weak hand if you have to. The weight of the gun is much closer to your center of mass, so it's more balanced.

Others can probably think of more but these are what I've learned after AWB carrying for 3+ years now.

Nope. Had mine out, emergency surgery, 20-plus years ago.
Hey, there's worst jokes thread for that sort of thing!

G26 in a Dale Fricke Archangel, all day every day. Wear it on all day road trips routinely and never have a bit of discomfort. I am 5'10" 170#. My only complaint is that it makes trips to the head a little more complicated than a 4:00 carry would.

This.

It's not just about tacticool and concealability, although it does have that going for it. The gun's location is always visible to you, so you know if your cover garment is riding up over it. It doesn't expose when you bend over. You can easily visually check that the holster is clear when reholstering. It is more secure, i.e., less susceptible to getting swiped from you. It doesn't bump or catch on things. Since the front torso is softer than the hip, it doesn't require as much extra room in your pants, meaning you don't have to upsize your pants as much as you would with a 4:00. It is at least as fast to draw as hip carry (I think it's faster; the gun has less distance to travel and rotate in order to point at a target in front of you). You can get both hands on the gun faster. You can draw with your weak hand if you have to. The weight of the gun is much closer to your center of mass, so it's more balanced.

Others can probably think of more but these are what I've learned after AWB carrying for 3+ years now.

Hey, there's worst jokes thread for that sort of thing!

Less of a chance of being bumped frisked too.
I went to a Red Socks game 2 years ago. I was AIWB carrying and the guy at the gate did a quick frisk, he didn't check the front only the sides, back and ankles.
-mike

I went to a Red Socks game 2 years ago. I was AIWB carrying and the guy at the gate did a quick frisk, he didn't check the front only the sides, back and ankles.
-mike

Interesting. That is a really solid advantage right there, unless they are using magnetometers, that is.

-mike

Just thought of another one, that came to me in a defensive handgun class recently--if you're down on your back fighting off an attacker, you have better access to your gun if it's in front of you than if it's between you and the ground. Yes I know you shouldn't ever get yourself in that situation but we did some drills and the 4:00 guys had to roll to get to their gun and I didn't. The downside is you can't avoid sweeping your crotch and legs when drawing in that situation. YMMV.

I just ordered one of these, I will write a review once I receive it. For those who carry Perfection.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-28%20at%2012.19.23%20PM_zpsgkjunvrm.png

Thickness is a much bigger deal than weight in pretty much any carry position. I'd never appendix a revolver. ...Then again I'd never carry a revolver at all...

I occasionally appendix carry my LC9s with a High Noon Holsters Centerfold holster. Perfectly comfortable as long as I'm not also carrying my G19 at 4 o'clock. I'm a fan of appendix if I'm wearing a really light t-shirt in the summer. It's an easier position to keep concealed.

Something about the muzzle direction while appendix carrying is a bit uncomfortable for me. Done it a few times but not really my thing. Can be awkward when sitting. My views on it are subject to change.

Doesn't work real well if one is overweight, at least in my experience. If I had the build I had when I was 16 it'd probably work great, not so much now. Too much gut/gun interference.

-Mike

I use the Keepers' Concealment AIWB holster.

Here is a video from Spencer Keepers that addresses some of the concerns voiced in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't help you with the wheel gun, but I just got a Q-Series holster for my g36 and love it. I think they had Glock and M&P only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the keeper looks awesome but $180 after shipping is quite a bit for a holster...although if I had the chance to try it out and it fit my body type I might/probably would talk myself into it.

the keeper looks awesome but $180 after shipping is quite a bit for a holster...although if I had the chance to try it out and it fit my body type I might/probably would talk myself into it.

I agree. The holster looks interesting, but that is very expensive for a kydex holster.

On a side note, there is something about video shot in portrait that makes me cringe. I struggle to watch.

the keeper looks awesome but $180 after shipping is quite a bit for a holster...

I agree. The holster looks interesting, but that is very expensive for a kydex holster.

No doubt - expensive. But then again, people are willing to pay for it.

Much like my experience with Patrick Smith of Kifaru International and Scot & Evan of Hill People Gear, after spending some time with them to learn about all the thought and testing that goes into their products, I am more inclined to spend more for their gear.

I spent some time talking with Spencer at a class asking him about different carry and holster options and considerations. Also, from the above video you can see that a lot of thought and innovation goes into his holster design. It is much more than just a piece of Kydex folded in half and belt clip.

...I just got a Q-Series holster for my g36 and love it.

I tried the Quesenberry Series AIWB holster and didn't like it.

The reason I don't like it is because I couldn't get a full firing grip (in holster) due to the metal belt clip being in the way.

(Bear in mind I'm left-handed and the holsters are set up as such.)

In contrast here are some other holsters and the access to a full firing grip.

Raven Concealment VanGuard 2:

JM Custom Kydex:

Keeper's Concealment:

And the Quesenberry from the other side. Note the metal belt clip protruding just below the trigger guard.

shmich - I hope you get lots of good use out of your Quesenberry. I just wanted others to be aware of the trouble I had with mine.

Maybe the Quesenberry is set up differently for the G36 - and if so, I'd like to see a picture to check it out.

I've got a Raven Vanguard 2. It is comfortable, but the problem is that the gun is just not stable. When I sit down, it rotates and I have to adjust it - not good when I'm in company that doesn't realize I'm carrying (and would be upset if they knew).

Back
Top Bottom